Freeze credit?

I like but the downside that I see if that if someone hacks me or my passwords and gains access to True Identity and unlocks the credit report then I have no recourse since I control it all. I do like the control it myself aspect of it with no cost, but I wonder if there is more protection with the true credit freeze.

Yes, was thinking the same thing. The pros and cons.

Looks like Equifax looking to having a feature to "lock" Equifax, Experian and TransUnion at the same time. No mention of just when or what cost, if any.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your-money/equifax-fee-waiver.html

5. Why not pay Experian and TransUnion, the two other large consumer-credit reporting agencies, to freeze the credit files connected to every victim of the most recent Equifax breach? After all, that breach makes people vulnerable to thieves who apply for credit in victims’ names with lenders who check applicants’ credit histories only with Experian or TransUnion.

Equifax would not address that last one with me, but a reader named Kimberly Casey forwarded me an email exchange between her and Mr. Adams where he apologized and said that a service to “lock” Equifax, Experian and TransUnion files simultaneously would be coming soon.

Apologies if this has been discussed already. If you are frozen and want to apply for a new credit card, how do you coordinate things. Do you ask credit grantor which credit reporting agency they use and then unfreeze before applying (how long to unfreeze) or do you wait until credit grantor encounters freeze and then unfreeze.......again for how long? Wondering how you get credit grantor to act within the window of unfreeze.

I like but the downside that I see if that if someone hacks me or my passwords and gains access to True Identity and unlocks the credit report then I have no recourse since I control it all. I do like the control it myself aspect of it with no cost, but I wonder if there is more protection with the true credit freeze.

I also am tempted by the TransUnion offer - it sounds too good to be true..Or they are ahead of the legislation we should have of free freeze/unfreeze forever !

Just make your password random and long like 20->30 characters (if allowed that many).
and Write it down and stick in a safe place like your freezer.

Back
Top Bottom