Frequency of dental checkups & eye exams

Like W2R, I am in the phase of my old dental work falling apart and age is also catching up with what was there originally. The last of the Air Force fillings are now gone (most fell out on their own) and at Medicare age, no insurance is covering any of this.

So this year, so far, my dentist has extracted enough from my bank account to buy a new pick up truck and there is more to go. I do get a 10% discount for being a "senior" too.:cool:

Eyes are good, with prescription only slightly changing over the last 8 years. I buy glasses from Zinni and 39dollarglasses.com.

Hearing is deteriorating, but I am not in the mood to spend more big bucks on hearing aids. No insurance for that, either.

All you young folks with insurance, take note on what happens to insurance for the "neck up" once you are on Medicare. Strange that Medicare will pay for a heart transplant, but not a tooth filling??

I do the dental cleaning and check up twice a year, well, due to scheduling it comes out to about every 7 months. Since a started using a waterpik, gums have ceased to be a problem. Some 15 years ago a periodontist wanted to to major cut downs but I got a second opinion at the Alabama dental school and they recommended to go to every three month cleaning in the trouble spots. That cleared up my problem at a fraction of the periodontist's fee. Family health insurance only covers about a third of preventive care, little else. But keeping my fingers crossed regarding old filings..that those teeth won't need caps or worse down the road.

Eyecare is easy, about once a year check-up. All covered as medical due to borderline glaucoma, both cataracts removed, and both eyes having retina repair about 15 years ago. I'm on my second prescription update in last 15 years. Only pay when get a new prescription. Used to get a check up every 4, then 6 months for the glaucoma issue but nothing has changed for so many years that the doctor went back to an annual visit. Between Medicare and family health insurance, doesn't cost me a dime for medical out of pocket.

my job insurance pays for 2 cleanings a year. we go 3 times a year, i spring for the extra cleanings, worth it at twice the price. my eyeglasses as a retiree are only free every 2 years, it was once a year when i worked. It doesnt matter i went every year anyway, again not a big purchase and not even a line item on the budget. i called for an apt, and was told my union changed their policy, retirees get glasses every year now too. Im all for leaving the kids money, but I did my job as a good provider, its Mommy and Daddy's time to live a little now.
As a side note, I ate the ends of the white bread for over 30 years. Now I eat it if I want to, not because I have to.

Last edited:
All you young folks with insurance, take note on what happens to insurance for the "neck up" once you are on Medicare. Strange that Medicare will pay for a heart transplant, but not a tooth filling??

As someone who spent my entire career in property-casualty insurance, this makes perfect sense to me. There's an overhead cost to every claim paid, whether it's a private or public plan. One of the reasons we're encouraged by financial gurus to accept high deductibles on our car insurance is that over the long run the premium savings will be greater than the deductibles absorbed by the average driver. Insurance should cover the big, scary stuff like heart transplants that most of us can't cover out of an emergency fund.

Now, if you're taking dental implants... yeah, I wish I could get coverage for those but even employer-provided dental insurance typically maxes out at $1,500- $2,000 per year for all claims paid. If Medicare were to start paying 8% of the cost of implants for all seniors who wanted/needed them, costs would spiral out of control.

As a side note, I ate the ends of the white bread for over 30 years. Now I eat it if I want to, not because I have to.

I LOVE the ends of the bread loaf- send them to me! Oh, wait a minute- I don't like white bread. Got any whole wheat or pumpernickel?

Interesting at how many folks get their teeth cleaned every 3 months. I really though I was doing well going every 6! I do have very deep pockets, but I have yet to have any issues and the dentist hasn't suggested visiting more than I already am...so I guess I will stick w/ the 6 month interval.

Vision is every 2 years and is covered by insurance.

Back
Top Bottom