Friggin leaking hose connection!

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am a legal gun owner, and before I shoot this hose splitter, I thought I'd ask for advice. See attached picture, where the leak is coming from the bottom of the blue tightening nut. It took me about 3 tries to get it right on the top part, but I'm getting nowhere with this leak. The junction of the 2 hose connections is designed to freely swivel, so there's no tightening that can be done there. Is this just a defective product and I need to make a third trip to Lowes? FYI there is a flat washer at bottom of that blue nut. This is my 2nd splitter; I returned the first one (different brand) because the shut-offs didn't work. Any ideas?

ETA: is this just the nature of these Lowes/Home Depot products, and should I just go to a plumbing supply store?

Attachments

• Leak.jpeg
    Leak.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 228
Wow... that's really not a small leak! Looks like it's coming from inside the splitter, which to me would indicate a faulty washer, most likely, but I'm sure you've checked that already. I would say take it off, inspect it carefully, reattach it to make sure it's threaded properly and tightly, and then return it if the leak persists. For the record, I also have not had good results with these hose splitters from the big-box home improvement/supply stores.

It doesn’t seem seated correctly. Are you sure you didn’t cross thread it? That’s why I like the brass fittings - they thread correctly, no guessing. When you cross thread plastic, it just seems tight to turn, but in reality, you’re damaging the threads and there’s no going back.

Looks like the top blue nut isn't tight against the flat washer. Make it hand tight with all the muscle you got, and then give it half a turn with a channel lock.

My guesses, (1) no or bad washer, (2) cheap three way, (3) actual faucet neck has a nick in end where it screws on or (4) it's been over-tighten and has a hairline crack.

Looks like no washer or cross thread. Pipe tape won't help if the washer is not seated because you'll get leaks out exactly where you are getting leaks out.

To add value to what has already been said, I have found sometimes you need two washers. This happens when you can't seat it well.

The rule I try to follow is "Never buy cheap tools." I would class this splitter as a cheap tool and replace it with a solid brass splitter rather than waste any time trying to fix it. You could give it a second life as a pistol target at 25 yards.

The rule I try to follow is "Never buy cheap tools." I would class this splitter as a cheap tool and replace it with a solid brass splitter rather than waste any time trying to fix it. You could give it a second life as a pistol target at 25 yards.
Solid brass splitter is the best. I had one for years with no issues.

I tried a couple of cheaper plastic splitters from Home Depot and Lowes and none lasted a year for me. Finally paid up and purchased a brass splitter and it has been great for several years. I keep a supply of spare O rings around as they don't last forever so I tend to replace them each spring.

To me it looks as if it's cross threaded. Remove the pipe tape. Check the threads for damage. It's also probable there's a cheap plastic washer, so replace that.

Yep, throw it away and buy a brass splitter. Like others said these cheep plastic ones are easy to cross thread and then not tighten. Then shoot the old one!

If it were left out over winter, it could be cracked from ice forming inside.

We use dozens of those plastic splitters at the marina. They're surprisingly rugged, and last about as long as anything else that gets as much abuse as they do. Are the brass ones better? Probably. Is it worth paying extra? That depends.

Not sure the cause of leaking with your three way but I have the same issues. I bring them in each year take them off of places I use them and put them on each spring and they leak!!

Dealing with just yesterday. My solution is metal three ways brass will last a long time but eventually they seem to leak as well.

I am a legal gun owner, and before I shoot this hose splitter, I thought I'd ask for advice. See attached picture, where the leak is coming from the bottom of the blue tightening nut. It took me about 3 tries to get it right on the top part, but I'm getting nowhere with this leak. The junction of the 2 hose connections is designed to freely swivel, so there's no tightening that can be done there. Is this just a defective product and I need to make a third trip to Lowes? FYI there is a flat washer at bottom of that blue nut. This is my 2nd splitter; I returned the first one (different brand) because the shut-offs didn't work. Any ideas?

ETA: is this just the nature of these Lowes/Home Depot products, and should I just go to a plumbing supply store?
Remove the thread tape. This is not a pipe thread. The male part needs to bottom on, and seal on, the washer. Make sure it’s not cross threaded.

Also, washers differ and they don't last forever. If they're made of plastic, they're junk. Buy the pink ones that feel like pencil erasers, and plan to replace them annually. They actually compress a little, whereas the hard black ones will leak with a little bit of dirt present.

Back
Top Bottom