From AHA: Chili Pepper Consumption May Reduce Mortality

tfudtuckerpucker

Full time employment: Posting here.
Wonder if there's something to this-

American Heart Association says consumption of chili pepper may reduce the relative risk of cardiovascular disease mortality by 26%.

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/people-who-eat-chili-pepper-may-live-longer

"The health and dietary records of more than 570,000 individuals in the United States, Italy, China and Iran were used to compare the outcomes of those who consumed chili pepper to those who rarely or never ate chili pepper. Compared to individuals who rarely or never ate chili pepper, the analysis found that people who ate chili pepper had: a 26% relative reduction in cardiovascular mortality; a 23% relative reduction in cancer mortality; and a 25% relative reduction in all-cause mortality."

Getting those steps in racing for the outhouse...

Got some serranos in the fridge as we speak and some more still in the garden all nice and red!

We love chili peppers, and use them in recipes all the time. I don't doubt they are healthy, but I also don't put much faith in anything the AHA has to say. They are not known for providing accurate nutrition and dietary information, to put it mildly.

The young wife has 20+ varieties of dried chili peppers in the spice cabinet. We also grow several types in the garden - jalapeno, serrano, poblano/ancho and hot cherry. The young wife makes her own hot sauce with the first two, and we pickle and can the others (if we don't eat them fresh). So we eat a lot of chili pepper.

We had very spicy Thai soup today and DH is liberal with the cayenne on his roasted pecans.

Oh yeah, we always put salsa on our fried eggs as we did today. “Heuvos Rancheros” although we skip the corn tortilla.

I eat quite a bit of chili peppers. I have a few bird's eye pepper plants. Thought it's a species from Africa, but just learned mine are Thai chili. The African bird's eye chili fruit is longer, and even hotter.

Here's the range of heat of different chilis, in Scoville heat units (SHU).

Jalapeno - 2,500 - 8,000
Serrano - 10,000 - 20,000
Cayenne - 30,000 - 50,000
Thai chili - 50,000 - 100,000
African Bird's Eye - 150,000 - 300,000
Habanero - 150,000 - 350,000
Carolina Reaper - 2,200,000

Last year, I grew some Black Cobras, which are supposed to be between 20,000-40,000, but I swear they are hotter than the Thai chilis. Also grew a Habanero last year.

PS. Just now, researched a bit further and now think my plants are more likely Siling Labuyo or Filipino bird's eye. The diminutive fruits pack a heavyweight punch like all bird's eye chilis. Heat: 80,000-100,000 SHU. Compared to this, jalapeno is like bell pepper.

See photo below from the Web. The fruits are about the size of the cotton end of a Q-tip.

PPS. Some chilis like jalapeno and habanero have a distinct flavor. On the other hand bird's eye chilis are more like cayenne and do not have their own flavor. Just lots of heat!

Capsicum_%27Siling_Labuyo%27_%28Mindanao%2C_Philippines%29_2.jpg

Last edited:
We had very spicy Thai soup today and DH is liberal with the cayenne on his roasted pecans.

Oh yeah, we always put salsa on our fried eggs as we did today. “Heuvos Rancheros” although we skip the corn tortilla.

Relatives gave us a small Thai chili plant in a pot, which we grew.
When ripe I put one in a stir fry and accidentally ate some of it. :mad::mad::mad: my mouth burned like crazy.
I consider jalapenos to be hot :LOL:

Well, I was wrong again when thinking my plants were Siling Labuyo.

This time, I am sure that my plants are the genuine Chiltepin chili that is native to the Southern US and Mexico. Other names include Indian pepper, chiltepe, and chile tepin, or bird's pepper. Indeed, the first of my plants grew out of nowhere due to bird droppings. The birds then caused more offsprings in my backyard from that original plant.

The Chiltepin is the only native chili of the US, and is believed to be the ancestor of the species Capsicum Annuum, which includes the jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, Anaheim chili, the bell pepper, the Hungarian wax (paprika), etc...

The Chiltepin has a rating of 50,000-100,000 SHU. It is said that the green fruits are hotter than the ripe red ones. I always pick the red fruits because they look prettier. Tomorrow, I will try some green ones.

Last edited:
A friend of mine who is originally from Korea used to carry her own bottle of the hottest chili pepper sauce she could find. The stuff would make my eyes water as she poured half a bottle over just about everything she ate. I've lost track of her since ER but always thought she looked 25 years younger than her chronological age.

I could never deal with much in the way of hot stuff. I like a little bit of hot in Thai food or chili con carne. Otherwise, I'm a wuss with peppers. YMMV

I eat quite a bit of chili peppers. I have a few bird's eye pepper plants. Thought it's a species from Africa, but just learned mine are Thai chili. The African bird's eye chili fruit is longer, and even hotter.
All chili pepper species originated in the New World. Within 100 years of Columbus discovery and introduction to Europe, varieties of the plant raced around the world, adopted and cultivated by most warmer region countries. So important a country is named Chile!

There are three main species cultivated: Capsicum Annum includes almost all species cultivated; Capsicum frutescens - Tabasco; Capsicum chinense - Scotch bonnet or Habanero.

We’d occasionally grow a chile pequin (chiltepin) which is native around here. So dang hot! Incredible how much capsaicin can be packed in a teeny tiny pepper! It’s really a beautiful plant, especially around Christmas.
61CdavRBMkL._AC_SX522_.jpg

My favorite chile is the poblano. Roasted and added to soups and stews it is heavenly. As rajas - strips of roasted poblanos sautéed with caramelized onions and a splash of cream - what a steak topper! And the ultimate - crema de chile poblano, a heavenly cream soup made with roasted poblanos. Poblanos vary in heat, but I’ve noticed lately that the ones in the store tend to be milder so you can get the intense flavor without blowing the top of your head off.

Poblanos are also known for being used as a stuffed pepper. My favorite “relleno” version is the baked Chiles en Nogada - stuffed with ground meat, spices, nuts and dried fruit, baked in a tomato sauce, and served with a creamy walnut sauce poured over and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. Heavenly. This traditional Mexican dish shows the colors of the Mexican flag and is usually served around September 16th, Mexican Independence Day.
ChileEnNogada.jpg

The version I like best is swimming in tomato sauce.

Last edited:
I love hot papers so I plant them in my garden. I harvest the seeds for the next year and I have more than a few varieties growing next to each other. So over the years, the shape and hotness have varied. I don't even know how to name the papers I have now! I just write the properties of the parent plant on the seed bag and pick what I like for the next year. The good thing is I get to try papers that no one has even seen.

PS: I eat them raw (on the side) and in the cooking during the season. The rest gets cold pickled and/or canned for off season use.

Last edited:
Love my Thai food hot with plenty of chiles. Yesh you pay the price a little, but love the taste.

I get my chile pequin from the Bisbee farmers market, wild picked from a Tohono Oʼodham tribe member.

Glad to read this article as I eat chilies 7 days a week. Jalapenos are a snack to me, eat them raw with a handful of nuts and some aged cheddar and go through 20-50 a month. I grew some this summer and they did very well. Habaneros for more heat, put two in a small pot of turkey chili this weekend, would rate the heat a 4/10. Thai chilies in stir fry's, etc. Plus several bottles of hot sauce in the fridge, sambal oelek - go through a jar a month, etc.

And no side effects at all. My system is used to it. I eat keto so high flavour and heat with low carb is a good combination for me.

I may live forever.

I love hot papers so I plant them in my garden. I harvest the seeds for the next year and I have more than a few varieties growing next to each other. So over the years, the shape and hotness have varied. I don't even know how to name the papers I have now! I just write the properties of the parent plant on the seed bag and pick what I like for the next year. The good thing is I get to try papers that no one has even seen.

PS: I eat them raw (on the side) and in the cooking during the season. The rest gets cold pickled and/or canned for off season use.
They readily crossbreed so yeah - you have some new personal varieties!

Chilli Pepper Consumption May Reduce Mortality

Bunk science. I eat a lot of chilies, especially fresh salsa, and I'm a very moral person.

My wife grows lots of Thai peppers and a few Ghost peppers. She puts the Thai peppers in the blender with a little vinegar, blends it all together puts it in a used peanut butter jar, we store it in the fridge. We then use that on soups, stir fry or mix it with soy sauce or fish sauce and spoon that on different meals. We eat Thai peppers every day in some form.

Lately I have been dicing (large dice) an avocado into a bowl, chopping two soft* boiled eggs into the avocado, sprinkle in some soy sauce then finely cut two Thai peppers into the bowl. Mix it thoroughly, I eat that as my daily breakfast. It's a bit of a mush, but very satisfying.

* soft boil- bring water to a boil put eggs in for 6 to 6-1/2 minutes, remove and cool with cold water for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Back
Top Bottom