Funding medical therapy not covered by INS?

I guess I am still kind of amazed that there is no central point of contact to set up and begin treatment.
That is the case in Illinois too.
It appears that paraprofessionals get about $15 an hour to do the actual 1 on 1 therapy.
We can't find paraprofessionals working on their own. They seem to predominantly be employed by agencies or practices. They may only be making $15/hr, but the cost to the client with employer markup is much more.
So, I'll fully fund my FSA up to $6K max, as well as my child care FSA up to its max of $6K. Add in insurance (I plan to upgrade to a more comprehensive policy this open season) and I should be taking home very little...
Yep! For us, therapies, etc., suck up most of the discretionary budgets of two families! It's just the way it is....... ;)

Some states, CA included, have passed laws forcing insurance companies to cover treatment costs for autism. Unfortunately, my state does not have a law on the books yet.

It sounds to me like your best option may be moving to a state with such a law. As a federal employee, perhaps you could transfer to another federal job located in such a state, with moving expenses paid/reimbursed. They may buy your house from you as part of this.

That would be a pretty drastic measure, but given that you are expecting some pretty drastic impact to your financial situation it might be worth investigating. Plus, if you have a lot of equity in your home a move and a downsized lifestyle might free that up for other autism-related expenses. It would be great if your FEHB would cover treatment costs for autism and it might in one of these states.

In any event, my sincere best wishes and hopes for your family.

I've looked at moving to another state, as well as rejoing the military to qualify for Tricare (which covers Autism treatments to $50K a year). My moms still has a place in SC, but its in a rather high crime area, very depressed, etc.

I think I will need to stay around my family for the added support. But I will certainly look into the possibility of moving, especially if things are not going as well as I hope.

Local mom with two autistic kids says the local school does a very good job. So, I am going to give them a shot. I am glad I found someone to discuss with, as I had some preconceived notions about my little town and its underpreforming school.

Back
Top Bottom