Funny Story...

Spirit_Cheese

Dryer sheet wannabe
So I was ranting the other night with my DW after a frustrating day at w*rk and we were wondering if we would be comfortable quitting when FireCalc says we had a 98.2% chance of success. Then we were talking about the only other time I posted and were curious when that was and what the portfolio was, etc. Back then I wasn't able to retire because I was double-counting dividends in FireCalc. I read through that string and something dawned on me - I was pretty sure I was now double-counting my mortgage payment. So I open FireCalc and sure enough I was counting my mortgage payment in expenses and also on the "Other Income/Spending" tab. So I back that number from my expenses and magically (after 40 plus years of work/savings) FireCalc says I'm at 100%. To be extra sure, I put the mortgage back in the expenses and deleted from the Other income tab - 100%. I also found a suggestion to see what happens if I was to pay off my mortgage now and eliminate that payment. So I subtracted the remaining principal from my portfolio total and ran again - still 100%.

Needless to say it made a pretty big change in my mindset. Now I'm trying to decide when to have the call with my boss...

That must have felt even better than finding a $20 bill in an old coat you haven't worn since pre-Covid days. :D

Congratulations!

Well done. Best practice with respect to your mortgage is to exclude your mortgage payment from expenses and include it as fixed off-chart spending starting immediately and offset by a fixed pension of equal amount once your mortgage is done. Of if you don't have many mortgage payments left then just reduce your portfolio for your mortgage balance as if you paid it off from portfolio funds when you retire.

Congrats! If you and your boss have a good relationship, maybe you can discuss the possibility of finding a way to end your career in a way that's beneficial to you.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom