Garage shelving units - Recommendations

I did this a few years ago, but I wish I would have gone with premade enclosed storage units. I like the industrial look of enclosed garage cabinets better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.08.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.08.53 AM.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 25
^ WOW! Now that is amazing. Very nicely done!

Amethyst, you are just going to have to get the hammer and nails out and start building shelves. Lol
If 2x4s and plywood are on stock. No joke!

As with the vaccine cluster, and anything else throughout life having to do with baby boomers competing for anything at all, I'll just have to wait. That is not an anti-boo statement (since I are one, after all); it's just a fact of life.

Amethyst, you are just going to have to get the hammer and nails out and start building shelves. Lol

^ WOW! Now that is amazing. Very nicely done!

Thanks, it was a fun project, and the closets on each side are stuffed with unsightly but necessary stuff.

I did something similar in my workshop. Building closets was less expensive than purchasing floor to ceiling enclosed cabinets. Lots of work though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.06.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.06.33 AM.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
WOW! That is a very nice work area and beautiful to boot!

Well, I was going to recommend the wire racks but you seem to have disqualified them. Nonetheless, we have several that I purchased for next to nothing at a restaurant auction. The only difference from the picture is that ours have wheels. They were super easy to disassemble and reassemble. I have put plywood down on a couple shelves for leaky items (like the chainsaw).

The shelves are easily adjustable and really, they are my favorite shelves. We have some large industrial ones from Home Depot, but they are heavy and were a pain to put together, so would not buy those again.

+1

I use these shelves to hold media equipment in HVAC room, Wireless router, extra Google WiFi (they're great), 2 security systems... don't think anything else)

Also, this is NOT in garage but they'll work there too.

We have some of the big Home Depot "Husky" metal shelves that you knock together yourself. A worker at our house pointed out that you can get 2 sets and assemble them to form 3 sets, you just won't have as many shelves. That worked well for us because some of the stuff we are storing is tall enough that we cant use all four shelves in each unit, or don't use the bottom shelf and set those items on the floor.

The shelves have steel channels for the edges but a thick wire grid, for the ones that need to be "solid" we just lay a piece of cardboard of plywood on the grid.

Lateral file cabinets are a decent option and measure out close to your desired dimensions. Bonus: they have doors to cover up the clutter and keep the dust away, as well as the ability to pull out the drawer to get a better look at what's on the back of the shelf.

And they are cheap if you can get them from a government, school or hospital auction. (And maybe from used office furniture places, too. I never checked.)

File cabinets are surplus to businesses of all kinds these days. I picked up three for my garage in an auction, I think for less than $20 apiece.

I just checked a web site in my state that specializes in school district auctions. They have three lots of lateral cabinets up for bid, each for two 5-drawer lateral files. One lot was up to a whole $12 with a couple of days to go. The other two were about half that.

We have some of the big Home Depot "Husky" metal shelves that you knock together yourself. A worker at our house pointed out that you can get 2 sets and assemble them to form 3 sets, you just won't have as many shelves. That worked well for us because some of the stuff we are storing is tall enough that we cant use all four shelves in each unit, or don't use the bottom shelf and set those items on the floor.

The shelves have steel channels for the edges but a thick wire grid, for the ones that need to be "solid" we just lay a piece of cardboard of plywood on the grid.

You can do the same with the plastic ones, no rule that says they have to have 4 shelves each, can make a bunch of 2 or 3 shelf ones instead.

I found that the black or chrome wire shelves worked well in network closets. I purchased a few for my office since they have a very clean look.

The gotcha with any shelf system is that the depth which works in your space may not be readily available from your go-to store.

Back
Top Bottom