Garbage Disposal Rusted Again

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
I pretty never use my garbage disposal and I'm tired them rusting and being jammed solid when I do want to use it. I did try the reset button and to free it with the wrench but it's frozen solid and I can see the rust when i shine a flashlight in there.
I'm thinking of just removing it for good, the drain strainer works fine for me. Has anyone done this and how easy is it to reconnect it back to the original double sink pipe configuration?
I've looked at some u-tube videos and I went to Home Depot and they sent me home with a new drain, a tailpipe with dishwasher connector and another tailpipe for length.
Hopefully someone out there can give me a brief explanation of the steps I need to take.

Disconnect disposal, connect new plastic pipes to eliminate it.
Sorry if that is vague, but Youtube and Home Depot can help with specifics.

It should not be hard, as long as you can contort yourself in there and work under the sink. You may need a hacksaw to shorten a plastic pipe to fit.
No glue required.

I agree that it is straightforward to revert your sink to a simple drain arrangement.

I will also point out that they do make disposals in stainless steel. (I have an Insinkerator Evolution, for example.)

Yeah. Never had one rusted shut. Had drive shafts break, motors burn out, leaks, but no rust.

To be fair to the OP, I have had one rust into oblivion. I had been away for a long time (and the disposal was VERY old and inexpensive to boot). First time I tried to use it after the hiatus, it spit out rusted blades like chiclets! :) i replaced it with the above-mentioned SS model, and no problems since.

Yeah, the cheapie builder unit in the house I bought (5 years old) crapped the disposer just after I bought it. I've put in 3 total in 30 years and the last one didn't need to be replaced I just did it because we redid the whole kitchen.

Yeah tossed a good disposer because I didn't want to install the old groaty in a new sink - :)

Yeah, I don’t even know why I have a garbage disposal. I never put anything down it. I only turn it on because it creates a whirlpool effect and the sink drains quicker. I guess it’s good to chew up some of the little scraps that do end up in the sink, but I doubt any of them would cause any issues with my plumbing.

Having said that, I think rather than replumb the sink, I’d replace the garbage disposal with a SS model. They’re kinda a standard appliance in a modern house. Of course if funds are tight, I’d be under there with pvc and be done with it. It’s basically a small puzzle and the materials are easy to work with.

I've deleted a number of them from upper apartments - the drains are common with the lower units, and when the upper unit grinds a bunch of stuff and plugs the line they can merrily flood the poor lower unit. Easiest to replace both sink baskets, not just the garbage disposal basket, and then run your new pvc drain lines. The garbage disposal is probably on its own breaker, so check and shut that off, then find and cap the leads in the garbage disposal switch. If a is single switch, just delete and install a blank switch plate. Cap and secure the line to the garbage disposal unit under the sink in an out of the way location, but leave the line case someone wants the disposal back in the future. If you have a dual switch or switch and plug, maybe rig an additional GFI outlet and get an appropriate faceplate. Nice to have a positive addition that looks like it was meant to be there rather than a blank that looks like something was taken away IMHO. Pretty quick and easy.

Last edited:
We've never had one. We just don't throw garbage down the drain, instead let the strainer strain and dump it in the garbage pail.

I never had one growing up in all the houses I've lived in, so never saw a need for them, and don't think there really is a need, other than in horror films :eek:

I did replace my DFIL 's when his broke.

Ours get lots of use, every meal prep. Veggie trimmings, shrimp shells, meat trim and other. Grinds it all up and down the drain.

Easy.

I collect the veggie scraps and coffee grounds and they go into the composter at the far end of the back yard. Shrimp shells and the like go in the garbage. I only use the garbage disposal when it needs to be cleaned out of the tiny scraps that accumulate and starts to clog. Some times I put down ice cubes to help clean it. Rendered fat is hardened in the refrigerator and tossed in the kitchen garbage just before it is taken to the trash bin once per week.

It is fairly straightforward. Follow the instructions for the strainer. You may need putty or quality silicone to make the seal.

One complication is if your disposer accepts the dishwasher outflow, then you need a tailpiece that has a dishwasher connection.

I pretty never use my garbage disposal and I'm tired them rusting and being jammed solid when I do want to use it. I did try the reset button and to free it with the wrench but it's frozen solid and I can see the rust when i shine a flashlight in there.
I'm thinking of just removing it for good, the drain strainer works fine for me. Has anyone done this and how easy is it to reconnect it back to the original double sink pipe configuration?
I've looked at some u-tube videos and I went to Home Depot and they sent me home with a new drain, a tailpipe with dishwasher connector and another tailpipe for length.
Hopefully someone out there can give me a brief explanation of the steps I need to take.

This could easily turn into a massive debate of pro vs con of owning a disposal…:cool:
Personally, I don’t use it much (between composting and avoiding fat/grease discharge, not much else ever makes it down the drain), but I totally get the convenience factor others might experience. My DMIL used to have problems with stuck or rusted disposals because she too only used it once a year. I replaced hers with a good quality model and told her to rinse/run it at least once a week for a few seconds. That’s all it took - no issues since.
The biggest problem with stuck disposals is that in 95% of all cases, the dishwasher drain feeds into the disposal ABOVE the disposal blades, so whatever the dishwasher discharges has to make it past the disposal blades as well. Most dishwashers have their own disposal function and chop up food residue into small particles so they can get pumped out easily. Well, those small particles, over time, build up on the disposal blades and gum up the whole system. Running the disposal for a few seconds, clears all of that out.
I own a number of rentals and most (not all) have disposals. Most tenants do want them, I find. Stuck disposal calls are amongst the most frequent maintenance requests. I can take care of 99% of them with resetting the disposal breaker or a good whack on the “bent Allanwrench key tool”. I have only seen ONE case where I actually ended up having to replace the unit. Replacing is pretty cheap and easy too, but to come back to the original question: it is very simple to remove the disposal altogether and it sounds like OP has all the parts and tools he’ll need. Plenty of YouTube videos on how.

If it were about getting out cheaper, I'd wager tossing in a drop-in replacement would be cheaper (time and materials) because if the new one fits exactly, it would take under 1/2 hour. I suppose an expert could replace the drain pipes in 1/2 hour, but I'd take an hour just figuring out what parts to buy.

Our house us on septic system, so we deliberately limit what goes down the sink. Even though we have a disposal, it is rarely used. Septic system never had an issue since we limit raw foods down the drain. In addition my DW does some composting for the plants and garden.
Back to OP's question, yes you can eliminate the disposal and just use std drain. No problem with that. You can avoid the disposal getting stuck by just running it every so often. Every 2 weeks should be sufficient, run for approximately 30 seconds is enough.

We used to stay at an aunt's place at the beach (intermittent use). The first time down there, I found the disposal wasn't moving. I freed it up, but did a quick replacement (yeah, even on vacation, I couldn't help myself). That disposal was still fine 10 years later. Every time I left, I put a teaspoon of vegetable oil in it. I doubt the aunt or any other family visitors did anything special. I only went down there 5 more times before she sold the place, and the cheapie from Home Depot was still working.

Last edited:
Disposals are for incidental garbage like when rinsing off a plate. Chunks should go in the garbage. Never put coffee grounds in the sink either. Run ice cubes through it occasionally to keep the blades clean.
They are almost an expectation in a kitchen so removing one could make your house less desirable at resale.

Disposals are for incidental garbage like when rinsing off a plate. Chunks should go in the garbage. Never put coffee grounds in the sink either. Run ice cubes through it occasionally to keep the blades clean.
They are almost an expectation in a kitchen so removing one could make your house less desirable at resale.

Probably true in general, but the house we just bought did not have a disposal (switch and wires for one are there), and I was glad. One less thing to go wrong, and you have more room under the sink.

Had a disposal in one place I owned, hated the noise, I found it easier to just empty the strainer in the garbage.

To each their own of course, but OP did mention "I pretty never use my garbage disposal". I'd just take it out. If it was an issue at sale time, put one back in. It's not a permanent change.

-ERD50

Yeah, I don’t even know why I have a garbage disposal. I never put anything down it. I only turn it on because it creates a whirlpool effect and the sink drains quicker. I guess it’s good to chew up some of the little scraps that do end up in the sink, but I doubt any of them would cause any issues with my plumbing.

Having said that, I think rather than replumb the sink, I’d replace the garbage disposal with a SS model. They’re kinda a standard appliance in a modern house. Of course if funds are tight, I’d be under there with pvc and be done with it. It’s basically a small puzzle and the materials are easy to work with.

Agree, you might spend way more "time", trying to figure out what "plastic" pipes to buy, and how to cut to proper length. (unless you are a DIY).

I just replaced my working garbage disposal, (was way to old), with one from Costco, a few months ago. Forget the brand, American?, $99.00.

Neat thing, it was "a small, about 1/3, the size of a regular one". Was concerned the small size would be an issue.

Nope, easy to install, because very light. Works fine. Quiet. And I only use it
when rinsing off dishes. No heavy material!

Good luck. :)

I follow this advice except regarding the coffee grounds. What's wrong with putting coffee grounds through the disposer?

I follow this advice except regarding the coffee grounds. What's wrong with putting coffee grounds through the disposer?

Coffee grounds tend to excite almost religious fervor among people with strong plumbing opinions! I’m a “yes I do” person, but have been lectured sternly by some who say they can compact like cement in the pipes. So if you do put coffee grounds down, be sure to flush with lots of water ….

They may make it through the disposer, but they can get “sticky” in the drain trap much like they do on a filter.

Coffee grounds tend to excite almost religious fervor among people with strong plumbing opinions! I’m a “yes I do” person, but have been lectured sternly by some who say they can compact like cement in the pipes. So if you do put coffee grounds down, be sure to flush with lots of water ….

They may make it through the disposer, but they can get “sticky” in the drain trap much like they do on a filter.

OK, understood. I do use plenty of water whenever I use the disposer. Must be working out because I had the trap disassembled last spring and it was very clean. Not much sludge at all. I appreciate the answers.

And don't buy 1/4 horsepower models. I use 3/4 or 1 HP disposals, and they never, ever jam. Heck, I think I could put a tree branch into the disposal and our house would revolve around it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom