General Comment on Popcorn Flavors

Cheese from the green can is wonderful sprinkled over hot popcorn instead of salt. Generally I can't stand the stuff but it's astonishingly good on popcorn.

I love popcorn. It's my favorite food group. I haven't had popcorn at a movie theater in decades but it was always what I compared all other kinds to. Lately I have broken teeth (at different times) even when being careful not to go near the un-popped or partially popped kernals. So now I have been going "Cold Turkey".

Cheers!

I like Orville's in a whirli-popper. I will never again make popcorn with anything but cocoanut oil. It adds a distinctive taste. I believe that is what theaters use. I find Orville's to be larger, more tender, and less unpopped/half popped kernals. When hot I will add Kosher salt or seasoned salt depending on mood.

I would class popcorn with "food," rather than a mere "snack." That is just my opinion and is not meant to start a religious war about food and nutrition. My goal is to keep the oil, and definitely the salt, to a minimum. And certainly not to add sugar. According to the USDA, plain Popcorn's glycemic index is 55, compared with bread at 80-100.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/plains-are...ws-2012/is-popcorn-a-healthy-snack-it-can-be/

"Is popcorn a healthy snack? It can be!
headline bar
Eric Uthus

Popcorn is relatively high in fiber - a cup of air-popped popcorn contains just over a gram of fiber. It also contains 1 gram of protein and 6 grams of carbohydrate. It contains no cholesterol, it is virtually fat-free (only 0.1 g per cup) and contains only 100 to 150 calories in a serving of 5 popped cups. You can find a nutrient profile for various popcorn snacks at: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov then click "Start Your Search Here" and enter "snacks, popcorn".

"Popcorn also has a relatively good glycemic index (GI). "

I grew up eating popcorn on Sunday nights also! Wild Kingdom and Disney. Just typing it is making my mouth water. I bet we are similar ages.

DH made some Orville Redenbacher Simply Salted popcorn in the microwave tonight. I was surprised how much I liked it with no butter or additional salt or seasoning. Maybe because I haven’t had popcorn in months, but I thought it was delicious!

No brand loyalty here. DW buys whatever is in sale. As for flavors I really like the kettle corn...

I’m off all grains, so no popcorn for me. DH wouldn’t eat it because he hated how it stuck in his teeth. I used to occasionally have the organic popcorn mini bags microwave type. Central Market Organics line. I thought it was pretty darn good, but I’m glad to be off grains.

Tons of fiber in vegetables and nuts, I don’t need grains for fiber.

I’m also going for plenty of salt and high fat as behooves a low-carb ketogenic diet.

Last edited:
I consistently bought this.
29143-albums238-picture1944.jpg

Delicious in my opinion, & Walmart sold an 18 pack box for under $7.00
But I stopped eating it back in March when I decided to improve my diet.

The butter flavor used in most movie theater popcorn comes from a chemical called diacetyl. It's a byproduct of the yeast used in many beers, and is considered a serious defect in most beer styles if the level is high enough to be detectable.
Interestingly, diacetyl is detectable at a level of as little as one part in ten million in a light beer. If you've ever noticed a buttery, or butterscotch flavor in a beer, that's diacetyl.

Diacetyl is added to a wide range of foods in manufacturing, and those who work in those industries are considered at risk of a serious lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans, sometimes called "popcorn lung".

I try to avoid it.

I like the sweet and savory popcorn. My favorite is Indiana popcorn Black & white drizzle corn. I also like Fishers popcorn from the boardwalk at Ocean City.

Any kind of plain, unsalted popcorn for me. I put fresh cracked pepper on mine. No one in our house steals my popcorn.

I am squarely in the camp that assigns popcorn to the healthy snack category. Corn and black pepper are very low on my nutritional enemies list. Let's not even get started on the home fries I cooked in duck fat this morning. :smitten:

I have to admit I've always loved the half-popped kernels. In college we used to go to the local convenience store for a 1:00 AM study break and the clerk would let us take them by the bagful out of the bottom of the popcorn machine for free. OTOH, anything free in college was good.

Popcorn is an occasional snack done in the WhirlyPop with coconut oil then sprinkled with various flavored salts. Occasionally I will cook Steens pure cane syrup with some real butter in the microwave for a couple minutes until it thickens and pour that over the popcorn. Molasses will work but don't overcook it, it will turn bitter.

Back
Top Bottom