Get a pool?

Our pool has been nothing but problems since we put it in (mostly leaking issues). No one uses it. We saw friends of ours new house - they said the only reason they moved is because they hated their pool

Post 25 and 26 pretty much give you both sides of the story!!!!

We live in an HOA community with a lot of seniors here who have grandchildren. Best thing is the community pool, so no need for individual pools (which is a good thing since we don't have big enough yards).

We also live near a huge lake so there's that.

And we are in New England so a short season to be in water.

Last edited:
I live in Central FL so we never have to close or open our pool. Even if we don't use it a lot, it feels like I live on a lake!

We use the troublefreepool dot com philosophy for pool maintenance so we spend only a few minutes a day doing maintenance and have had crystal clear water and no algae outbreaks for 5 1/2 years using only basic chemicals. If you do decide to build, there are some experts on the forums at that website who can keep you from making big mistakes. All the advice is free but they might bug you for pictures!

Crappy contractors are hard to avoid, though, because their workloads and staff and subcontractors fluctuate. The pool we built was an inground vinyl liner and we loved it. Our current pool is an older plaster pool that came with the house. If I ever built one again, it would definitely be an inground vinyl liner.

I lived next door to my best friend in HS who had a pool. He hated it because he had to do all the skimming, vacuuming, changing filters, etc. on Saturdays. He only jumped in it once he was finished with the maintenance.
Another friend has a father who has a pool. No people use it anymore. It is covered with duck weed and stocked with Tilapia. It is more of a Biohazard now.
We live in Florida and the only pool I would consider getting is this...
260afed1-0b7c-4763-b788-000764773a61_1.14eb5372b23071bb171ba1531c0d3ca9.jpeg

How close are the grandkids anyway? If they are not within walking distance the pool will never be used except for the few family gatherings each year and even then the novelty will soon be gone as they go off to college. Its use is also limited by the time of year. Temperatures during Thanksgiving and Christmas family gatherings will probably negate its use as well.

Eventually you might sell the house and a pool can be a negative selling point to may buyers.

Cheers!

Last edited:
We bought a house a few years ago with a pool (our kids are adults and no grandkids). I like having the pool. I like looking outside at it and think it looks pretty. I also like the spa. I don't do that much actual swimming but have done so and like having the option. We did convert it to salt.

If money wasn't a concern and I didn't want to use that space for something else then, sure, build a pool. I would only build one with a spa though. If you didn't want to space of a pool an alternative would be a large standalone hot tub. We had one at our last house and it was nice.

If you are going to be having children at your house, though, I think you need to consider how to make it safe for children to be there.

When we bought our current house it checked all the boxes for what we wanted (and were going to build) but it had a pool, which we were NOT looking for.

3 years in and we have decided that the pool is an excellent addition for us. We owned a boat and while it was easily available (had a slip) it was always a pain to use it. I could ramble and ramble, but we have decided that having a pool is better than owning a boat.

Yes, there are maintenance issues with a pool, but that is true for many hobbies. Between the robot cleaner and salt water chlorine generator, we don't spend too much time dealing with it. It is also heated which gives us a nice long pool season. As an added bonus, the first owner of the house installed the largest heater you can buy for a relatively small pool, so it's not too hard to "hot tub" the pool in the winter. :D

I have said that if/when we get too old for it (or just tired of it), we will fill it in and make it a nice putting green.

I would also add that we do not have children and as a matter of course, kids don't use the pool. If kids were in the mix then I would be very hesitant to having a pool.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 40
Those with pools: did you increase your insurance coverage for liability?

We have an umbrella policy but in our state USAA doesn't "ding" you for having a pool, which surprised me. The umbrella policy is mainly for automobile mainly. We aren't too concerned about folks drowning in the pool since 1) we are home almost 100% of the time and 2) access to the pool is pretty darn difficult.

We discussed it with our insurance guy who holds our homeowners insurance and our umbrella policy. The only thing he discussed was whether we had a slide or a diving board. We don’t, but I got the impression that if we did, it would have cost us more.

nope, and our umbrella doesn't even ask for it. In S. Fla I think they probably have it baked in that we do have a pool. If I do google-maps of my neighborhood, those with a pool are in a decent majority.

We also had to put in safety measures, requirements for fencing and gating that the county specifies. If I had small kids then a short fence directly around the perimeter is also an option. And there are pool sensor alarms you can place on the doors that would be mostly likely for kids to sneak out of. We had to have them on every exit within the fenced part of the house, which was 9 windows/doors. We took them down of course immediately after inspection, as they are super loud and annoying, and we never have small kids here.

nope, and our umbrella doesn't even ask for it. In S. Fla I think they probably have it baked in that we do have a pool. If I do google-maps of my neighborhood, those with a pool are in a decent majority.

We also had to put in safety measures, requirements for fencing and gating that the county specifies. If I had small kids then a short fence directly around the perimeter is also an option. And there are pool sensor alarms you can place on the doors that would be mostly likely for kids to sneak out of. We had to have them on every exit within the fenced part of the house, which was 9 windows/doors. We took them down of course immediately after inspection, as they are super loud and annoying, and we never have small kids here.

I had to do the same. I have a house alarm that is on all windows and doors and is much louder than anything you can get at Home Depot.
I asked the city if the house alarm would suffice. Nope. Had to be an additional alarm. Their “reasoning” was that I could discontinue the alarm service. They couldn’t understand that the alarm part would still work. [emoji2356]
So I put up $15 alarms and then disconnected them.
I use the house alarm when the grandkids spend the night. That alarm will wake the dead.

I didn’t need an umbrella policy. I do have one but only for the last 4 years or so.

Here's an update for all those who contributed to my question ... First, thanks to all for the feedback! We met with a pool guy this past week and have decided to go forward (including some suggestions by those on this forum!).

+ 45'x20' rectangular (so we can put an automatic cover on for safety)
+ Electric heatpump to keep it heated year-round (we have a lot of solar so this is more cost-effective than natural gas)
+ Saltwater
+ A 6' - 18" deep area for small grandkids and for a seating area (wanted to do the beach feature with sand, but local (very odd) rules require more flat area that we wanted to devote if we included sand)
+ Water feature on the back raised wall (for looks & sound)
+ Probably 6-7 feet deep (definitely not 10')
+ Definitely going to have a pool service

Still undecided on adding a spa, or not, attached to the pool. We have a very good stand-alone spa already and our current thoughts are to just keep that, but definitely open to others' thoughts on this.

No harm to it at all but it’s always amusing/puzzling when someone posts a question they already know their answer to…

No harm to it at all but it’s always amusing/puzzling when someone posts a question they already know their answer to…

Ahh ... perhaps the answer to the question was 51-49 at the start, but the feedback was priceless! That's where the value is!

Here's an update for all those who contributed to my question ... First, thanks to all for the feedback! We met with a pool guy this past week and have decided to go forward (including some suggestions by those on this forum!).

Do get dates. Milestones, etc., from your pool company. IE: When permits will be filed, then how long till break ground, etc. I assume you've done your due diligence re reviews and their recent performance? Just make sure you know whatever they told you, it will take twice as long.

Our grandkids have their own very nice pool. We put ours in for us and use it daily during pool season, which is sadly coming to an end. I only wish I had taken the plunge and done it early.

+ Electric heatpump to keep it heated year-round (we have a lot of solar so this is more cost-effective than natural gas)
+ Saltwater
+ A 6' - 18" deep area for small grandkids and for a seating area (wanted to do the beach feature with sand, but local (very odd) rules require more flat area that we wanted to devote if we included sand)

Still undecided on adding a spa, or not, attached to the pool. We have a very good stand-alone spa already and our current thoughts are to just keep that, but definitely open to others' thoughts on this.

While we have awesome folks here, I would highly recommend checking out www.troublefreepool.com forum. There are a lot of very smart folks out there and they have been a God send for learning about our pool...and dealing with some issues.

Another data point - I commented that I thought a friends water feature (basically a waterfall) looked cool - he replied that his wife didn't like it because it was too noisy.

I guess I am the only one who thought grandkids = Drownings!

A lot of small kids die here every summer falling in the pool. It only takes a minute for a toddler to slip away.

I think they are nicer to look at but seldom used. I wonder if there is some kind of splash pad or other creative water feature that could be admired and used. I have no idea.

Yep, any pool nowadays needs a 4' (minimum) high fence with self-closing & self-latching gate.

There are retrofits fences (mesh, removable) available for older homes where the pool can be accessed directly from the house, so even if a toddler gets onto the pool apron outside the back door they can't actually access the pool itself, e.g.:

https://poolfence.com/pool-fence-info/

Last edited:
I recently visited my daughter and son-in-law, they have some friends with a small built in pool may 12ft x 20 ft, plus on one end there is a built in hot tub. It was very nice, we all got in the hot tub had a drink or two, then slide over the edge into the pool to cool down and then back in the hot tub. It was a very nice setup, I tried to get adopted!

Yep, any pool nowadays needs a 4' (minimum) high fence with self-closing & self-latching gate.

There are retrofits fences (mesh, removable) available for older homes where the pool can be accessed directly from the house, so even if a toddler gets onto the pool apron outside the back door they can't actually access the pool itself, e.g.:

https://poolfence.com/pool-fence-info/

We had one of these installed to keep the dogs from drowning. It wasn't cheap, however (and no gates, either). It is peace of mind as most of the "water alarms" were useless because of false alarms. My only beef is that they aren't very sightly but they are easy to remove.

I didn't get a pool, but I did the next best thing. I bought a house that already had one. That wasn't my initial plan. My original goal was to get a house that already had as much garage space as possible, plus enough land that had a suitable enough terrain to easily build more garage space, if needed. But, a pool never factored into the picture. In fact, initially, I had it set in my mind that I specifically did NOT want a house with a pool.

But then, I started noticing that with the houses I was looking at, all other things being more or less equal, a pool didn't seem to affect the asking price much. And I also resigned myself to the fact that there was no way I was going to find exactly the garage I wanted. Then I used the convoluted logic that, if I found a house I liked that didn't have adequate garage space, I'd have no problems building a garage. But there's no way I'd splurge on a pool, if the house didn't already have one. So, I talked myself into a house with a nice, big 23x51 in ground pool, but storage for only one car, and that was little more than a carport. And then, splurged on a garage.

As for the pool, I hate to say it, but it does lose its magic after awhile. I don't regret it, not at all. It's just that initially it seemed so awesome, but once I got used to it, it was just "there". Hedonic creep, or whatever they call it. Sort of like the first time I bought a car that had power windows, it seemed downright luxurious. But then I got used to it.

I bought the house in September 2018, and I remember we were going in it as much as possible, trying to wring every last bit of summer we could out of it, although reasonably, by the beginning of October, it was getting too cold to go in, above my waist.

In 2019, my housemate and I were in it again, as much as possible, and it seemed like we were constantly having friends over. We never had any really HUGE blowouts, but definitely got our use out of it.

Then in 2020, COVID hit, and that put a bit of a damper on the get togethers. But, it also had me working from home. I think that might be when I really started taking it for granted. It was always there, 24/7, anytime I wanted it (at least until it got closed down for the winter). There would be days, sometimes, where I'd just feel too lazy to leave the house and walk over to it.

Seems like this year, there's been less pool time, again. Even today, it's actually pretty hot out, and the water is nice. I'm working from home and it's a slow day. But I just don't feel the need to run out there and jump in. But, next week it gets shut down for the season, and I know as soon as that happens, I'm going to start missing it. And, with my luck, we'll have a hot spell!

Still, even though it sounds like I'm a bit indifferent to it, I'd never want to give it up! Hell, now on second thought, I might just jump in for a bit! :p

I didn't get a pool, but I did the next best thing. I bought a house that already had one

After reading so many horror stories from folks that had a pool put in, I am 100% convinced that the BEST thing is acquiring one that is already there! :D

We also bought our house in Dec of '18 and have noticed that the use of the pool has actually picked up the last couple of years. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
+ Saltwater

I for one appreciate the thread as we are considering this ourselves.

Kids are 5 and 2.5, so probably 6 and 3.5 (at best) by the time this gets done. No neighborhood or other public pool close by; many homes in our area have in-ground pools as well. I think I am going to drive toward a rectangular pool so I can put an endless pool in for myself and an automatic safety cover as well. Friends have this feature with four kids from toddler to 9y.o. and love it. They get good use out of their pool in TX. Our pool season could be close to year-round here, so I'm leaning towards it as part of our outdoor remodel project. We will have to address pool safety - cover, alarm, fence, etc. all on the table. Our entire yard is fenced by 7' fiberglass fence and is lockable, so when we travel I can lock everything out as well.

With your design, I like the idea of saltwater, auto cover, and we have solar power so interested in how to tie that into pool heating as well. I'm inclined to pay someone to maintain it for the time being while I'm still working.

Wife and I enjoy the idea of a spa close to the outdoor living space, so if we can swing that on our budget we probably will.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom