Getting ready for first RV trip

I traveled a long time in an RV. For the most part wonderful experience. Just a few things to watch out for on a longer trip.
1. Stop early to make sure you can get a good spot with hook-ups (and vacancy)
2. Pets, like a dog, can cause a lot of unexpected trouble.
3. Watch out for rural areas and holidays. I was traveling during the Christmas season and suddenly found myself without a restaurant open for Christmas eve! Since our plan had been to eat out, we wound up having to eat hot dogs and beans from the local 7-11.
4. Get a good check list of "essential items" and check it everyday like you would pre-flight check an airplane, ie, tire pressure, oil, etc. Easy to forget the obvious things as everything settles into a routine.
5. Carry a Gerry Can of gasoline - sometimes you can't find a gas station to save your life just when you need it most.
6. Don't travel on bad weather days. A combination of bad weather, heavy winds, coming down a steep slope, and a big rig that tries to pass you can bring you painfully close to loosing control. No use shattering your dreams with a careless, needless accident. Don't take chances.

Enjoy the freedom.

Very nice remodel. Very similar floorplan to our vintage Overlander. We are going out tomorrow to the mountains in Georgia for the fall colors. Also have a 28' Airstream Motorhome that we have an off/on love/hate relationship with. Planning lots of trips including Alaska but not with these old RVs. My under standing is the trip is very hard on campers with parts and pieces not easy to find if something breaks. So we will be looking at for a newer small class B and carry a toad.

Back
Top Bottom