Going all in, anybody with me?

Up until this year, at age 52, I was 98% all-in. I decided that I will actually retire next year (we'll see), so this year I bought some bond funds. Now, I'm 80/10/10.

Wow, looks pretty nice for $182K. This home has been on the market for 129 days.

I looked up the Zip code, and it is a nice area, but isolated and surrounded by neighborhoods of lesser demographics.

I generally pay no attention to what random people post, or to their smart ass comments. Or the idea that California is really nice away from the Coast. Absolutely, the sierras are marvelous, and the Tahoe area. Really cheap too! And where it can be cheaper, some of us would like a few English speakers around. And more generally, we would like that our children could get a quality education, at least through JC.

If you move into the outback, how can your children stay around? I always attended to these things, and both my sons are grown, nearby, and affluent or downright rich. I think some people forget that there is a larger purpose to life than finding the cheapest possible existence.

Ha

... If you move into the outback, how can your children stay around? I always attended to these things, and both my sons are grown, nearby, and affluent or downright rich. I think some people forget that there is a larger purpose to life than finding the cheapest possible existence.

Ha

I dunno, Ha.

If a retiree's means is more limited, that town of Kathleen, GA looks like a nice place to live, compared to hanging out in a crowded town on the coast. Or spend $24K/year to sleep in a minivan in Santa Ana like this woman in a youtube video I have posted elsewhere.

Back in 2008 when we were both employed my wife and I were both putting away the maximum allowed from each paycheck into our 403bs. It made the times lean but we had a plan. Having been retired for the past 6-7 years we don't invest additional money in the market anymore. Don't plan on making any changes in our present stock and bond investments and will let it ride. We still have enough in cash to see us until the bucket is kicked. Age, early contributions, and planning can make a difference.

Cheers!

Back in 2008 when we were both employed my wife and I were both putting away the maximum allowed from each paycheck into our 403bs. It made the times lean but we had a plan. Having been retired for the past 6-7 years we don't invest additional money in the market anymore. Don't plan on making any changes in our present stock and bond investments and will let it ride. We still have enough in cash to see us until the bucket is kicked. Age, early contributions, and planning can make a difference.

Cheers!

Badger, what was your AA back then when the market was down and what are you at now that you are retired?

Wow, looks pretty nice for $182K. This home has been on the market for 129 days.

I looked up the Zip code, and it is a nice area, but isolated and surrounded by neighborhoods of lesser demographics.
Looks like the speed limit on that road is 70 mph, too.

My motto as well. Except when reality gets in the way. Take yesterday, for example. Before the market opened, I put in an order to sell all shares of a fund that is no longer part of my plan. I'd been waiting for it to go under water so that I could tax-loss-harvest. You can argue that my waiting for it to go under water was indeed market timing, of a sort. Then Mr. Market had other plans yesterday and I quickly cancelled the order. :facepalm: It indeed would have sold above water had I not done that.. It can wait for a better day...

This makes no sense to me. Tax loss harvesting is something I understand. But if you're going to sell something regardless, it makes more sense to sell at a profit and pay some tax on just that profit than in waiting for it to have a loss.

Looks like the speed limit on that road is 70 mph, too.

Nah. I just looked, and it's 45mph. Despite the 1.2-acre lot, the home is a bit close to the divided road, and perhaps that's a big negative.

The area is nice though. I looked around on Google Map, and homes in this Zip code are nice, clean, and well kept.

This makes no sense to me. Tax loss harvesting is something I understand. But if you're going to sell something regardless, it makes more sense to sell at a profit and pay some tax on just that profit than in waiting for it to have a loss.
Wasn't going to sell it regardless. Have been diverting capital gains/dividends elsewhere for a while now. Over time it's become a pretty small percentage of my portfolio where it's neither helping nor harming. A fleeting opportunity arose to dump all of it but in the current environment it only lasted a day and I missed it. So in the portfolio it stays awaiting either another opportunity to sell at a loss and replace it with something I do like or, failing that, wait till I retire and withdraw from it just like everything else.

I'm not rebalancing right now. I'm heavy in stocks and selling now would be a mistake. I'm all in and increased my percentage of Salary into stocks by another 5%. I have another few years to work before my goal date and could work longer if needed. When the markets recover, even if it takes a year or so, I will consider a rebalancing to more bonds and equities since by then I will be much closer to retirement.

Have some additional cash than expected from Q4 distributions.

But already over my equity percentage for the target AA so not sure, may put it in a CD for a year or two.

I’m slowly moving towards a more aggressive AA. Previously, used mostly target date funds to get me to roughly age in bonds. Now, plan to use target date funds in tax advantaged accounts based on my expected retirement date (2030 to 2035), which is more aggressive than age in bonds. I plan to move my taxable assets to rental real estate.

I did about 25% of rebalancing into stocks on Dec 21 and plan to do the remainder of the mutual stock purchases in Jan/Feb on market swings down (or not on dips, if we continue to go back up). I was about 6.5% under allocated.

We'll see how that timing works.

The market moves in the 4th quarter made a big difference in my 2019 rebalancing. The only two changes will be in bonds, the stocks have taken care of themselves (no class above or below its band).

That was easy!

Being we have no pensions and I am 62 and husband is 64 and still working, but will retire in 1-2 years- and I will have to pay for my health insurance until I am age 65 at that point- I am re-balancing at the end of this week when I can find the time- probably go down to 30% or even 25% stock mutual funds/etf's and the rest bond mutual funds (and some I-Bonds) and cash. Hubby's 401k is in a stable value fund except for 5% in Employer stock. I rolled over my 401k into a Treasury Money Market fund when I left my job in Sept. and I left it there.

When the market was reaching new highs over late 2017 and early 2018 I was taking money out a bit...got my AA down to about 20% (I have rental properties that make up about 40% of my AA). Then, as things started to drop late in 2018 I started slowly buying back in...and now I'm up to about 32% equities. I will not go any higher than 40%, as I just FIRE'd and that's all I'm comfortable with.

5 years ago I met with a CFP and he said I should stay at about 60-70% equities or I'd not keep up with inflation. I told him I'd just w**k a couple more years, save more, and then I wouldn't have to be that heavily invested....so that's what I did. It was worth it to me to not feel a pit in my stomach when the market drops 20-30% like it has recently...and I'm now glad I did that.

It will come back up...it always does...just may take quite some time as usual .

I'm not rebalancing right now. I'm heavy in stocks and selling now would be a mistake. I'm all in and increased my percentage of Salary into stocks by another 5%. I have another few years to work before my goal date and could work longer if needed. When the markets recover, even if it takes a year or so, I will consider a rebalancing to more bonds and equities since by then I will be much closer to retirement.

?? If you are heavy into stocks, why would rebalancing have you selling stocks? Seems like it would have you buying stocks.

What you mention late in your paragraph is choosing a new, more conservative, asset allocation. That is not rebalancing. Once you have selected and adjusted assets to a target AA, then you rebalance after it drifts from that target AA.

Last edited:
Scared

I dont know all the abbreviations that you all use and don’t dare make those kind of investments. Been saving all my life and not many good investments just hope i make it .

Being we have no pensions and I am 62 and husband is 64 and still working, but will retire in 1-2 years- and I will have to pay for my health insurance until I am age 65 at that point- I am re-balancing at the end of this week when I can find the time- probably go down to 30% or even 25% stock mutual funds/etf's and the rest bond mutual funds (and some I-Bonds) and cash. Hubby's 401k is in a stable value fund except for 5% in Employer stock. I rolled over my 401k into a Treasury Money Market fund when I left my job in Sept. and I left it there.
I'm not sure that now is the right time to rebalance from equities into bond funds and cash...you'll be making the losses permanent...better to do the rebalancing when your mutual funds are up...?

Going all in? ...Nope. I’m in a OMY, O +.5MY stage right now (18 months is the current target). Now at 60/40 AA and focusing on building up 3 yrs of cash to over expenses, as well as still just getting that 401K employer match. I think that Bear will finally hit (S&P ~2350) officially after the earning season for the Holidays (which I expect to be good), plus after the Super Bowl. Folks party (and spend $) for the Super Bowl like its 1999. I love NFL playoffs and this is the best weekend of the year! Plus, many haven't done their taxes yet to see just how much they actually saved from the change in tax brackets. That will provide a little confidence boost. I think it will be short-lived though and will putter out by early spring. 3 years (avg) to rebound from the Bear. So I'll be retiring on a climb out of that Bear. If not, I'll retire anyway :). Go Seahawks!

For grins I checked our current assets. Rentals still figure large: using the tax man's "True Cash Value" and decreasing that value by 25% to give a cash in fist after tax number we have 33% of our investable wealth in rentals. Loans and property contracts make up 24.8%. Back in mid October I moved about 5% of our money out of California municipal bonds and into the bank, so we now have 23% in plain old cash and CDs.That leaves us with 1.33% in remaining California bonds and 17.8% in stocks. Guess that's why we could be down in the market but still have the net worth grow.

I am eyeing Celgene again because 2020 earnings are supposed to be around $12.50 a share and it is trading for $58

It does have some problems in in late 2022 with patents but could still easily be in the PE6 range by then after hitting PE3.5 in 2020.

I mean this compares to some other stocks in the market who celebrate at PE40
You pull the trigger?

Back
Top Bottom