Going on my first cruise post COVID

What about dishes and eating utensils when dining onboard? Seems like that would be a common source. You can wash your hands before and after, but during your meal your dining service is handled by other people.

Yes, I would worry about food preparation staff.

We have not started cruising again.

We have started to travel. Portugal last spring, Mexico last month, and hopefully Thailand/Malaysia in Feb/March.

A cruise for us is simply one of several travel options so it is not as if we a sitting at home.

What happens if you get mildly sick, I guess you can hide it for a few days and then carry on with the cruise.
But what will happen if you are noticed being sick, do you get kicked off the cruise and lose out on the rest of the trip and $$ :confused:
The COVID testing and protocols vary by itinerary and cruise line, but I've never heard or seen anyone getting kicked off. It seems they have different isolation protocols. I've experienced two protocols, unfortunately.

While visiting EU ports, I was told that because I tested positive, I had to move to a special section of the ship for the remainder of the cruise (2 days). I was on the same ship for the next itinerary, but the protocol was different: stay in your own room for 5 days after you test positive, and mask once you get out of isolation.

Considering not reporting your symptoms, and doing your own isolation, that actually came back to bite me, but it's a weird situation. The morning of the cruise, I tested negative, but they didn't ask to see the documentation at boarding. I had uploaded my proof of fully vaccinated status, though. The next morning, I had a scratchy throat, but it went away, and I was hoping it was nothing. But when the fever came, I knew it was something, and kept to my cabin except for masked trips to the buffet and eating outside. Then, on day 5 or 6, because I was on the ship already, the cruise line said they would do the pre-cruise testing for the follow-on cruise (I was doing back-to-back). By the time they tested me, it had been 5 days since I had symptoms, I felt much improved, no fever, but I still tested positive. So another 5 days in isolation! The last two days of the first cruise I was moved to the COVID hallway (EU regulation) which was identical room to my original room, including a window. When the follow-on cruise started, I was moved to my balcony room, but still compelled to stay in the room and get room service food.

Oh, and the cruise line gave me 5 days credit on a future cruise. I think they know if they don't address this problem in a way people can manage, demand will drop off hard. Based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like going on a cruise in the fall of 2022 meant it's quite likely you're gonna get it.

DW and I sailed our first cruise since February 2020 last month. Seven days in the Caribbean (easy access since we live in FL). Uploaded our vaccine cards on the cruise line's app, so only had to confirm lack of symptoms at check-in (we were concierge level). Some passengers wore masks but they were not mandatory anywhere onboard. Sanitizing wipes and hand washing stations were at the entrance to every sit down restaurant (and mandatory). All food including buffet tables were served by crew rather than self-serve. Guest Services counters were behind plexiglass but not all crew interaction sites had barriers.
We used several of the ship's amenities freely and thoroughly enjoyed our trip without hesitation. Fortunately, neither of us experienced even a sniffle before, during, or after the entire trip (for which we were thankful).

I just booked a cruise today on Azamara for an Italy cruise in October. Has anyone been on Azamara recently? How are they handling Covid cases?

Just back from my 3rd cruise since Covid. This one was Royal Caribbean for 8 nights on the Harmony, with 6000 +/- passengers and 2000 +/- crew. No testing required. We did mask a good bit, unlike most others. Didn't 100%. Home now two days, no symptoms. We are well vaxxed and have never had Covid ever that we know.

Back
Top Bottom