Going to the Movies Poll?

Do YOU expect to go to in person movies…

• No more or less often than before

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • More than before

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Less than before

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Never again

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters
I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies since the storyline and visuals were faithful to the books although some had to be cut out. The Hobbit movies, not so much.

Same here. Loved the LOTR trilogy and saw each one on the big screen. The Hobbit trilogy was a huge disappointment. So glad I didn't go to the theater for those. What were they thinking trying to adapt one little 300-page children's book into three long, overwrought, special effects blockbusters?

We will probably go as a special event when we have out-of-towners staying.

But routinely we would rather pay to stay home. We save more on the snacks anyway.

I’ll rent the theatre for kids event, but otherwise enjoy from home on projector.

Before the pandemic, we only went to movies maybe once or twice per year. I rarely say never, but there would have to be a really good reason to go.

DW and I rarely go to the movies anymore. While our 1st date was a movie back in '82, we may have seen 7 since then. Don't particularly care about the self righteous attitudes that people who were blessed with good looks, have, and are about themselves.

Count me as one who still enjoys the movie theater experience, especially now that more theaters in my town have invested in recliner type seating and much more space between seats. However, DH dislikes movies in general and so I must be very selective in what movies he is willing to come to with me. Only went to one IMAX movie last year during the brief one month opening of theaters in my county in the middle of the pandemic. I enjoyed it tremendously; DH not so much. He is on board with going to an IMAX theater to see The Batman next March. I would enjoy seeing in IMAX Top Gun Maverick, Dune, Snake Eyes, and James Bond No Time To Die, but I’ll probably have to stream those at home. Investing in a Sonos Arc soundbar so I can hear the dialogue better.

Went to an afternoon showing of Black Widow this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since we ER'd we have mainly done afternoon films, maybe one friday night release in 5 years. In our area, that means reclining bigger seats, and reserved seating. And a mostly empty theatre even pre-covid.

This week there were 8 ppl in the theatre including us, so I'd do that again. I would have enjoyed WW84 in a theatre as well, in all of its disastrous glory. While it was nice to get that at home for free, I do like a good action superhero big screen event.

I just go for the ultra cheap popcorn. :popcorn:

Seeing the last time I went to the movies was in 1994 (or thereabouts), I answered like this:

No more or less often than before

Well, never again is the same as as much as before for us.

We hadn’t been to a movie theater since the early 2000s, when one of the Star Wars movies was released and we thought we wanted the immersion experience. We hadn’t been to a theater in years, but it was such a miserable experience we decided then “Never Again”. When we had our current house built we made sure to have the infrastructure for an excellent audiovisual system. It’s been outstanding and gotten even better over the years with streaming and then 4K. Not only do we not have to go anywhere, we don’t have to adhere to anyone else’s schedule.

I got burned out on the typical big box office Hollywood movies long ago anyway. Can’t stand most of them. Occasionally watch one or two on a plane ride. Much prefer the series format I watch at home.

P.S. one thing we absolutely hate is how LOUD movie theater sound is. We have to carry earplugs. Yes, have them for concerts too.

Last edited:
We used to go regularly to the cinema. In our area they all have invested in large recliner seats that can be reserved and in-seat dining (which we skip). One even has child free showings.

Some films just have to be viewed on big screen. I’m looking forward to Dune, which is coming out this October.

Ha ha, I remember watching the original Dune movie (1984) starring Sting in the theater. I actually enjoyed watching that movie in spite of his fairly marginal acting. They did a great job with the worm effects. But once was enough for me.

Last edited:
They won’t let me hit pause at the theater.
Yep! Nor let me come back and finish tomorrow.

I really can’t watch anything longer than an hour without a good break. Usually less.

Last edited:
We went to our first movie since the pandemic last month. Probably will continue at our pervious rate of a couple per year. DW likes to get out of the house, and the big screen.

We're in the never again camp, and recent trends in my state are only making us more cautious. Cases have increased 15X from Jun 30 to Jul 30, and hospitalizations have almost tripled over the same period. And I doubt we've peaked yet. Sad, largely avoidable.

P.S. one thing we absolutely hate is how LOUD movie theater sound is. We have to carry earplugs. Yes, have them for concerts too.

This tends to be a deal breaker for my DW. We enjoy going out to the movies a few times a years as part of a "date night" experience, But the loudness of the sound has her needing earplugs as well.

One big thing that hampers me in finding movies worth spending a few bucks and risking lung and limb :))) to view is, I want to go and enjoy the movie and the plot without being "preached" to. It iis one thing if the movie makes it obvious before you choose to or not choose to see it. It is another to find out all of these "embedded" political/social issues contained within. Particularly when it ends up in animation/sci-fi/fantasy/childrens movies. I seek movie entertainment to "escape" all that :).

Back
Top Bottom