Good news. Good story.

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is in the local rag - makes me feel pretty good about people here and in general.

Attachments

• Wednesday, December 05, 2007.jpg
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 123
That is a good story.

Sometimes I do that at toll boths when I'm on my bike. I pay the toll for the unknowns in the car behind me. I can only imagine what they might think.

Actually, just thought of one. A local boy got good grades at elementary school. His school had a program to reward 3 good-student kids a year with bikes, and this time he won.

Besides the bike money from the school, his mom decided to add in another $75 bucks so her son could get a larger bike he really had his eyes on.

They purchsed it, and had it stored in the garage that night. Next day he got up to take his first ride, and discovered someone had stolen the bike from the garage---and nothing else. He was very upset and rued he hadn;t even got to ride it once. Very distraught.

The story made the local radio and paper. Two days later, community members, a bank, and a local bike shop had donated enough funds to replace not only his bike, but also to fund the elementary school's program for fourteen others.

The boy learned lots of lessons out of that one.

Well, since you asked I am so very proud of my 25 year old daughter. Every year she selects a local charity and asks her circle of friends to help support it, usually by bringing donations/contributions to an annual holiday party she hosts. This year, she decided on the local humane society and sent out her usual email blast to all her college buddies, work friends, family, etc. She asked me to go with her to the humane society shelter to deliver the items collected -- I was amazed that she collected 10 huge boxes of towels, blankets, dog/cat toys, treats, food, and lots of other stuff that was on the shelter's website wish list...and I was even more amazed by the nearly $500 that some of her out of town friends donated to the cause.

When we drove to the shelter and made five trips inside to drop off the boxes, the staff and volunteers were so appreciative they made us cry.

So the tv reports that today in Marysville Washington a lady paid for the coffee of the person behind her at Starbucks. By this afternoon more than 700 customers had paid it forward, buying the coffee for the people behind them. Excess money collected will be put toward the store's toy drive. Have to wonder if someone affected by the little event in Dallas didn't start this up up in Washington. I wonder if it would be a bit more fun to do in a grocery store by spreading the good feelings across a wider demographic, but am tickled to hear about this happening again.

Found this print version of the story, with more (and different) details.
Local News | Coffee customers "pay it forward" by paying for those behind | Seattle Times Newspaper

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom