Google - Disrupting the College Degree?

daylatedollarshort

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I thought this was pretty interesting -

"Google recently made a huge announcement that could change the future of work and higher education: It's launching a selection of professional courses that teach candidates how to perform in-demand jobs.
These courses, which the company is calling Google Career Certificates, teach foundational skills that can help job-seekers immediately find employment. However, instead of taking years to finish like a traditional university degree, these courses are designed to be completed in about six months."

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/g...tificate-project-management-data-analyst.html

Sounds a lot like the Cisco Networking Academy and Microsoft's certification programs. I'm not sure if those actually replace a college education or supplement it. Both have been around some 20 years. It is good to see Google promote this as well.

Sounds a lot like the Cisco Networking Academy and Microsoft's certification programs. I'm not sure if those actually replace a college education or supplement it. Both have been around some 20 years. It is good to see Google promote this as well.

The new Google programs are actually for higher level jobs than IT technical support work - project manager, data analyst and UX designer, with median salaries from $66K to $93K.

Maybe things have changed since my workdays but 'Project Manager' positions at the places I worked were fairly high level positions that required many years of 'on the job' experience, certainly not an entry level position for a recent grad.

Last edited:
Maybe things have changed since my workdays but 'Project Manager' positions at the places I worked were fairly high level positions that required many years of 'on the job' experience, certainly not an entry level position for a recent grad.
Google PM uses a skill set which extends from traditional PM, I guess.

Project Manager
Project managers are responsible for planning and overseeing projects to ensure they are completed efficiently with maximum quality and value added to the business.

This certificate focuses on the foundations of traditional project management, while also offering insight into agile project management.

$93,000
The median annual wage for project managers
Still guessing (it's all I have at the moment) that the Google PM uses their cloud software or something very similar.
https://console.cloud.google.com/project

So the certifications will emphasize the Google way, built on Agile, rather than the legacy MS certifications and products.

Back
Top Bottom