College Degree Ain't What it Used to Be

While what you say is true, the younger generation has access to one key resource that none of us had when we were in their position - the Internet.
Which I suspect has done more to facilitate the exporting of IT and call center jobs than any other factor. Is that really a net positive (no pun intended)?

In support of job creation, here's a WSJ article on startups like Zaarly and TaskRabbit. Call it "microserfing"...

Websites Let People Farm Out Chores - WSJ.com

But, no, I'm not looking for a job, and we already clean our own worm bin. It doesn't seem gross at all, just good & dirty.

In support of job creation, here's a WSJ article on startups like Zaarly and TaskRabbit. Call it "microserfing"...

Websites Let People Farm Out Chores - WSJ.com

But, no, I'm not looking for a job, and we already clean our own worm bin. It doesn't seem gross at all, just good & dirty.

Good for your worm bin.:)

This is the article I talked with DW last night. Those chore web sites are a great idea, but I'm more troubled by some examples in the article. What kind of mentality and values our society encourages? I guess cleaning worm bin or buying a new pair of shoes at the request of someone else due to dog poop does contribute to our GDP growth.

I'm afraid that initiatives aimed at spurring businesses to create more jobs won't satisfy very many of the jobless. We don't reward job creation anymore unless the jobs are of a certain caliber... our present society isn't pro-jobs, just pro-labor. I mean, you can't just ask someone to dig a ditch for whatever you can afford to pay them like you could 25 years ago... if you don't offer lavish benefits, all the free water you can drink and a complimentary shovel, people basically accuse you of being inhumane.

I find all this stereotyping of how all the kids coming out of college today are worthless whiners is absurd. Sure there are some, and without a doubt they were there when you graduated. However, the entry level opportunities today pale in comparison to what most of us had available at that age. I'd like to see some of you come out of college in 2010-11 and not feel frustrated or at least feel lucky to have landed something:facepalm: and thats not to mention the same for all those who have been productive in their jobs only to be laid off.
+4! When I came out of university, you almost had to barf on the boss's wife at the company party to not get a job. To succeed today you have to be smart, politically astute and have very good work ethic, which more of less translates as "sell your soul to the company".

Ha

Back
Top Bottom