Got an email from former co-w*rkers

I'm not clear on this thing. Is it that you are puzzled as to why they wrote "Happy Birthday" and nothing else? You're saying that you'd expect something like. "Happy Birthday, Easy. We miss you -- hope you're having fun!" ?

I'm not clear on this thing. Is it that you are puzzled as to why they wrote "Happy Birthday" and nothing else? You're saying that you'd expect something like. "Happy Birthday, Easy. We miss you -- hope you're having fun!" ?

No..I wasn't thinking "Happy Birthday...we miss you" more like maybe "Happy Birthday...oh, by the way, there's this bug in a program which you worked on awhile back, and for the life of us, we just couldn't figure out..
please help"

Maybe it's the dream/nightmare of w*rk link that stays on my mind :blush:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/work-dream-nightmare-46697.html

Find a more plausible conspiracy to occupy your mind. Perhaps a hobby........

You did the right thing.
Keeping in mind those poor suckers are still having to work.
Might have been the best part of that persons day, sending the greeting.
Steve

Well, I decided to go ahead a do luch with them sometime probably next month. Ends out one of my former co-w*rkers got let go about one and a half years ago.

From a followup email, they said the co-w*rker who was let go decided to follow in my footsteps.
She now is happily taking care of her family and joined a health club and too busy to w*rk

Now I think it turns out, maybe I'm an inspiration to them...someone who stood my ground to the megacorp and decided to walk away instead of being chained to the j*b.

Anyhow, I went ahead and decided to politely reply (or "take the bait"). We shall see. I just pretty much said to everyone on the list "Thank you. It was nice of them to remember me.....p.s. I very much enjoy that for me everyday is Saturday."
Well, I decided to go ahead a do luch with them sometime probably next month. Ends out one of my former co-w*rkers got let go about one and a half years ago.
Now I think it turns out, maybe I'm an inspiration to them...someone who stood my ground to the megacorp and decided to walk away instead of being chained to the j*b.
Nah... that's just what they're trying to make you think.

Right now in your old conference room someone is saying "OK, boss, the bait's been taken. Remember not to ask about the missing equipment and the undocumented software bugs until we've already started the main course. And for gosh' sakes, stop scratching your shirt where the wire goes to the recorder!"

Nah... that's just what they're trying to make you think.

Right now in your old conference room someone is saying "OK, boss, the bait's been taken. Remember not to ask about the missing equipment and the undocumented software bugs until we've already started the main course. And for gosh' sakes, stop scratching your shirt where the wire goes to the recorder!"

Hmmm..I see, another believer in the conspiracy theory. :cool:

Better being a bit paranoid is better than being careless. What would you rather do, use double locks on your front door or leave the door unlocked?

"Trust, but verify..."

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they can't use your tinfoil hat for a target...

Now I remember - in the 90's after a 1 1/2 year absence I went back as a jobbshopper and successfully pissed off everybody I missed the previous 20 yrs as a full time employee.

:D :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

heh heh heh - just kidding.

If this were a poll I was agree with the above quote, be polite, thanks them just as they did you and leave it at that.

I've always had the same thought about going to reunions (grade school, high school). Do you really want/need to revisit the past or see how people turned out or have them see how you turned out? Or is it better to just remember things as they were?

I remember going back to my 20 year grade school reunion several years back. In some ways, the memory of the final days of grade school are lost because of the new reunion memories.

I'm sure in the end, the choice is just a personal decision.

I like my co-workers and my former co-workers. If I got such an e-mail, I would invite them to lunch and catch up. I still sometimes go to dinner with my boss of 30 years ago. I'm still friends with every boss I ever had and they know how to reach me by e-mail, but if not, google can find me.

Even my former girlfriends have sent me e-mail out of the blue. Is that stalking? I don't think so.

Even my former girlfriends have sent me e-mail out of the blue. Is that stalking? I don't think so.
Depends on what changed their status from "one and only" to "former"...

Well...eventually, nothing has happened about meeting up with former co-workers for lunch. We had planned to meet in mid-December but I had to postpone as I had to take care of a friend in the hospital in ICU. When I tried to reschedule a date to meet for lunch in January, the old group pretty much said, "We've all been pretty busy around here...really don't have time to go out to lunch". I ending responded by saying, "well...maybe when it gets a little warmer..." and left it at that :confused: without really any plans to set a date again.

Back
Top Bottom