Gotta brag...

At 24 I had $5k to my name.....I know because I converted it all to travelers cheques to come to the US to start a new job. Get this I put 9% of my salary into TIAA Traditional and my employer put in 17%.....that's not a typo!

That's great! You should be proud.

Gives me hope after what I overheard at w*rk yesterday. A late-20-something with a one-year-old was talking to someone else and all I heard was "401(k)." I clearly heard the response, "I'm not 40 yet, I don't have to worry about that." Now, I'm really not sure what the discussion was, but what I thought I heard made me depressed. I just kept walking, hoping I missed something.

Coincidentally, I just had this conversation with my youngest, who is 21 and was hired by Microsoft less than a year ago. He now has almost 20k (participates in an optional stock purchase plan plus stock options), which blew my mind, since I think I accumulated about the same after 4 years in my first professional job, when he was a baby and I was in my first job. I told him as much, just to let him know what he was accomplishing.
He also paid off his student loan with his tax refund check.
Yewts like him and your son reinforce my conviction that the 20s-30s are a lot more impressive than most of our or the older generation are willing to give them credit.

Yewts like him and your son reinforce my conviction that the 20s-30s are a lot more impressive than most of our or the older generation are willing to give them credit.

+1

By the way, I also say "yewts". Love it!

Back
Top Bottom