Gout

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
My big toe was hurting on Friday. I had not stubbed it or dropped anything on it, but the pain was a mystery. DW looked it up online and diagnosed it as possible gout.

Went to doctor this AM and sure enough she was right. Dr. prescribed Indomethacin (50MG) and said that it will probably not hurt in a couple of days.

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with this? Has in reoccurred?

I've had gout in my right big toe since 2011. It becomes painful whenever I eat a lot of sugar, so I generally avoid sugar.

Your doctor probably told you to avoid "high purine" foods (liver, kidney, poultry, etc.), because purines are broken down into uric acid. Most doctors don't know that fructose also metabolizes into uric acid. Table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose, and high fructose corn syrup can be up to 65% fructose. In theory fruit could also be a problem, but I don't know if it's a problem in the amounts normally consumed. I would avoid fruit juice.

Gout can be a symptom of heavy metal poisoning (mercury, arsenic, lead) or hypothyroidism. Heavy metal poisoning causes hypothyroidism, so it may be that is the mechanism. There are a few other things that are known to cause gout - high alcohol consumption, some medicines, etc. Lots of info is available online.

Yes. I have had it in the past and symptoms earlier that I couldn't identify. I was on vacation in St Marteen when I had the mother of all attacks. Was on crutches off and on for three months. So, get a test for Uric acid levels and look at your blood work history if you can. Safe levels are 4.0 - 7.0. Mine was 10.5. Was put on Allopurinol and have been in the safe zone every since. Most will tell you limited beef and shellfish. Cut out alcohol and drink tons of water. My family has a history so I prefer to tackle with medication. Many prescribe Colcycine (sp?) if a major attack happens. Minor ones like yours are about three days.

I had a similar issue a few years back that peaked on a weekend so I went to one of those 24/7 type clinics. The attending Dr did not know for sure without further tests but he "guessed" that it was Gout. This followed (by about a week) a holiday with all the goodies to eat in excess.

He did not prescribe anything other than eating right and regular exercise. At the time, I was 49 YO, sedentary lifestyle and about 280 lbs. I figured it was probably good advice as I have been lucky with my health so far and have never had any major issues.

So, now I am 52, 200 lbs and get between 150-175 minutes on an elliptical machine every week with a little bit of weight training thrown in every few days. I haven't had any big toe pain since and must say, I wish I would have started exercising and watching what I eat a lot earlier. It just makes everything about living a lot more enjoyable and easier.

Had it years ago. Holy mother was that nasty. I couldn't walk. I remember thinking about how bad it hurt to use the brakes.

I'm sure I wasn't given what you were. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I've had gout in my right big toe since 2011. It becomes painful whenever I eat a lot of sugar, so I generally avoid sugar.

Your doctor probably told you to avoid "high purine" foods (liver, kidney, poultry, etc.), because purines are broken down into uric acid. Most doctors don't know that fructose also metabolizes into uric acid.

That's really interesting; I had no idea about fructose.

I have a friend who has suffered for many years with gout, but in his case I think it actually is the purines. A large part of his diet consists of deer he has harvested himself on his own property (most of it legally).

I have been battling gout for years. Usually get an attack after getting dehydrated, either from activity, weather, or wine. You can get overnight relief with a steroid shot, however you shouldn't get these too often.
Allpurinol daily helps.

I developed the same problem you describe about 30 years ago. For many years I just used indomethicin. The bouts were infrequent and the indo knocked it right out. I never bothered with the whole prescribed treatment - a day or two was sufficient. After a few years I had some more severe attacks in my knees. I have been taking allopurinol daily since. I have no gout attacks with allopurinol.

My husband was prone to gout because apparently his polycythemia (bone marrow making too many red blood cells) was a contributing factor. He was able to prevent attacks most of the time by eating dried cherries although he occasionally needed medication when an attack did come on. It might be worth a try as a preventative. (Caveat: I have no medical qualifications whatsoever.)

The wife gets it and really needs to watch her diet. No chicken, beans, green vegetable like spinach.

I have been battling gout for years. Usually get an attack after getting dehydrated, either from activity, weather, or wine. You can get overnight relief with a steroid shot, however you shouldn't get these too often.

Allpurinol daily helps.

How much wine causes the gout ? Does more activity balance out the wine intake?

I've had gout since I turned 15 (50 years ago). Some bouts might last 3 months.

Been through it all including demanding that my Dr amputate my toe! I was dead serious and demanding but he convinced me that it would only reappear elsewhere.

Indomethacin is a powerful NSAID which will reduce inflammation and help with pain. I've done the Cholchicene trick many times but ended up in the hospital on the last attempt. Never again.

Alopurinol works but it leeches all the purines from your system and as a result will give you gout for the first week of taking it. For me, it made my joints incredibly stiff and I gave up on it.
There seem to be some new meds out there but I haven't tried them. I've been good for the past year or so.

My triggers: Red wine, too much beer, asparagus and spinach.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi,

People have different triggers for gout. mine are turkey, spinach and beer.

I did dozens of hours of research after my second attack in 6 months. Great source is http://www.goutpal.com/. Long and short of it is I said screw it and went on Allopurinol. I can eat and drink whatever I want without issue. I can drink a 12 pack of beer and a Turkey sandwich without issue.

Lots of folks try to cure with diet but not many succeed long term.

The crystals floating around in your body are literally stabbing all your joints and organs 24-7.... Even if your not having an attack if your uric acid is high.

Do your own research but get your uric acid levels into acceptable range.

Good Luck,

W

Many, many years ago I had gout. I did some internet research (it was way early internet days) and did the following two things:

1 - achieved pain relief via cherry juice. From the can, not anything concentrated or syrupy. It’s supposed to clear out the Uric acid.
2 - stopped taking vitamins with iron supplement.

Haven’t had any gout since, about 20 years now. This is all *completely* anecdotal. It could be completely coincidental...

I've had gout since I turned 15 (50 years ago). Some bouts might last 3 months.

Been through it all including demanding that my Dr amputate my toe! I was dead serious and demanding but he convinced me that it would only reappear elsewhere.

Indomethacin is a powerful NSAID which will reduce inflammation and help with pain. I've done the Cholchicene trick many times but ended up in the hospital on the last attempt. Never again.

Alopurinol works but it leeches all the purines from your system and as a result will give you gout for the first week of taking it. For me, it made my joints incredibly stiff and I gave up on it.
There seem to be some new meds out there but I haven't tried them. I've been good for the past year or so.

My triggers: Red wine, too much beer, asparagus and spinach.

Good luck.

So, when I get to the Rheumatologist finally and she prescribes Allopurinol, I start in the regiment and bam!, I get a monster flare up for two weeks. I go see my regular doctor for a physical and he says "oh, they should have told you to dose up gradually!" That would have been good to know.

Your Dr. was correct. Unlike other amputated things, big toes will grow back. And you never know where!

I

Allpurinol daily helps.

To break the inflammation immediately, the steroid shot the joint works great, just be ready for what it feels like to stick a big needle into a small inflamed joint, big ouch! But was feeling better the next day. Following this with Allopurinol daily has kept it at bay for years. I still have the uric acid level checked annually, and it has been maintained in the normal range, without any gout flare-ups. I would be afraid to stop taking the Allopurinol and risk another round of gout... Also my Dr. likes me to avoid sources of inflammation due to other risks associated with inflammation, so I just keep taking the Allopurinol...

Your Dr. was correct. Unlike other amputated things, big toes will grow back. And you never know where!

Y'know, when I wrote that down I actually wondered if someone would pick up on my poor sentence structure and even thought of adding "the gout that is, not the toe"

"Eats leaves and shoots"

I work at a health store and have studied naturopathy for 20 years now. As posters note, the uric acid crystals come from protein breakdown, but it really a cascade effect from too much sugar in the diet (fruit sugar being the main culprit). That sugar burden includes alcohol intake.

TART cherry juice can put the crystals back in solution of the blood so it can be excreted. We tell people 8 oz. four times a day, with a lot of water in between. (This juice also helps with arthritis and sleep.) Note the word "tart"; other cherry juices would just add sugar to the body.

I work at a health store and have studied naturopathy for 20 years now. As posters note, the uric acid crystals come from protein breakdown, but it really a cascade effect from too much sugar in the diet (fruit sugar being the main culprit). That sugar burden includes alcohol intake.

TART cherry juice can put the crystals back in solution of the blood so it can be excreted. We tell people 8 oz. four times a day, with a lot of water in between. (This juice also helps with arthritis and sleep.) Note the word "tart"; other cherry juices would just add sugar to the body.

Did I read 8 ounces, FOUR times a day, of TART cherry juice? My mouth is puckered just typing this!

-BB

Remember that in doing so, like Alopurinol, it will 'give' you or increase your gout until the purines have left your system. That was my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom