Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, & Horse Hockey

We'd like to see Dawg52 doing non-alcoholic beer next.

We'd like to see Dawg52 doing non-alcoholic beer next.

No non-alcoholic beer for me!

img_1174651_0_456180447971baf69d59039a1d70b717.jpg

Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.

They've improved quite a bit.

Besides, there is so much more to a good burger these days than ground beef. The meat is probably the least important thing. In fact, I'll opt for something else, almost anything else, if all we're talking about is grilled ground beef on a bun. :yuk:

Last edited:
Yeah - to me, what's the point of a ground beef burger? Ground beef doesn't have much flavor which is probably another reason I don't buy it.

Now a steak sandwich - that I can really appreciate!!!!

Audrey

After reading these,I have the sudden urge for haggis with some oatmeal stout.Power meal indeed.

I only ever buy ground beef from a butcher who will let me specify the meat which goes into the grinder, and is prepared to put it through twice (for beef; not necessary for lamb). Depending on the recipe, this can be quite a fatty (aka cheap) cut of beef (and of course, all lamb is quite fatty).

Many butchers round here don't like grinding lamb, as they have to chase the last bits away with some beef afterwards. In my experience, halal (Muslim) butchers are much more flexible about this, perhaps because their culture's cooking uses a lot more ground lamb.

Would the price of ground beef increase if pink slime was not applied, err added? I bet it would.
Now that the public knows about pink slime you know the price will increase and will be advertised as "pink slime free" to justify the increase.

A major food chain in the Northeast just announced it was removing 'pink slime' from their ground beef. I had emailed them about a year ago asking if they used it and I never got a reply. Now I know why.

No slime for me!

img_1177589_0_456180447971baf69d59039a1d70b717.jpg

I tried a veggie burger today(Boca brand) and was surprised with the good taste. Tasted like a flame broiled burger, maybe a tad on the dry side. But not bad. I added a little Worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper as I cooked it, a slice of cheese and condiments to a garlic toasted bun and I was good to go. Oh yes, baked some sweet potato fries and had a pretty tasty lunch. I tried a veggie burger many years ago, but just couldn't go them. Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.

I'm sure I will have a good old fashion artery clogging burger every not and then. But this is not a bad substitute.

i have to agree with your assessment of the Boca Burger. I cook mine in the oven. If it turns out too dry for your taste, a few drops of olive oil on top will make it moist and tasty on a bun with mustard, kechup, lettuce and tomato.

Boca also makes an imitation German sausage which is also kind of dry when heated in the oven. Again, a few drops of oilve oil on top will make it tasty with mustard.

Last edited:
An update:
A group of BPI workers showed up at the lobby of NBC affiliate KWWL in Waterloo, Iowa Monday. They say they are angry about attacks on their company and misinformation in news reports about so-called “pink slime”.

The BPI employees say recent public attacks have crippled their company which has resulted in the indefinite closure of BPI’s plant in Waterloo. More than 200 people are now out of work.

BPI plants in Garden City, Kansas and Amarillo, Texas have also been indefinitely suspended.

Meat Workers Defend

In a similar story, I believe I heard that a typical carcass yields about 10 pounds of this stuff (whatever you call it). If the total meat from a steer is about 500 pounds, then it seems the impact on the price of hamburger would be no more than 2% (yeah, I know it's more complicated than that, but I'm ball-parking).

I usually buy nice cuts of beef and grind them myself (2 passes).

I still do not understand. Did the BPI plants also process other cuts, i.e. non-pink-slime meat? Why did they have to shut down the entire operations?

Thanks for that story. It does boil my blood somewhat. Here, some journalists go after a story, use the derogatory term 'pink slime' (who is going to want that?), and innocent people lose their jobs. Basically, this is just a process to recover whatever meat they can that is left. Once upon a time 'waste not, want not' was a virtue.

Would the same newspaper report a story about the 'horrors' of newspaper production (killing tress, bleaching the paper, producing CO2 along the way), or how much CO2 they produce jetting around to cover stories? Or would these same 'journalists' call for a shut down and firing of the govt agency that approved the process?

Has anyone ever been harmed by this? If you don't like how factories grind beef, grind your own (and I do think that is a reasonable alternative, I prefer the transparency of seeing what is being ground). The 'journalists' ought to find bigger fish to fry (just to mix the metaphors), and stop hurting innocent people.

In a similar story, I believe I heard that a typical carcass yields about 10 pounds of this stuff (whatever you call it). If the total meat from a steer is about 500 pounds, then it seems the impact on the price of hamburger would be no more than 2% (yeah, I know it's more complicated than that, but I'm ball-parking).

I'm guessing maybe less than half of that goes to ground meat, so it might be closer to a 4% number. Seems small, but that might double their profit margin on the product. Hard to pass that up, especially for an FDA approved process.

-ERD50

I wonder if anyone ever thought of how much inert ingredients that are allowed in grain product by the USDA such as cereal? I had a friend that ran a feed mill and he told me one time, that it was 4%, so think of four percent of your breakfast cereal being inert ingredients such as mouse droppings, bugs, dirt.

I wonder if the BLS makes hedonic adjustments for pink slime in its price trend analysis of ground meat.

Those concerned about future availability and production can rest assured. The product has been rebranded, is now called "lean, finely textured beef" and is still in production. A FAQ can be found here Facts About Lean Finely Textured Beef

frank said:
I wonder if anyone ever thought of how much inert ingredients that are allowed in grain product by the USDA such as cereal? I had a friend that ran a feed mill and he told me one time, that it was 4%, so think of four percent of your breakfast cereal being inert ingredients such as mouse droppings, bugs, dirt.

Fiber! Yeah! Fiber! That's the ticket!

Fiber! Yeah! Fiber! That's the ticket!
What? Fiber? No way. Mouse dropping and bugs aren't fiber, they're protein. Dirt, maybe.

Those concerned about future availability and production can rest assured. The product has been rebranded, is now called "lean, finely textured beef" and is still in production. A FAQ can be found here Facts About Lean Finely Textured Beef
Thanks for that. Boy, talk about marketing and the power of labeling (both ways). LFTB sounds like very good stuff--it's more lean than the ground beef to which it is added, guaranteed to be free of E. Coli and certain other pathogens, inexpensive, reduces waste (and thereby pollution, etc). It sounds like health food stores should be selling it in Slurpee form. That's a long way from "pink slime."

I'd still prefer not to eat it--or at least not to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom