Grand Teton and Yellowstone in September

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a trip planned to Grand Teton and Yellowstone in a few weeks.

Lodging is in Jackson, Colter Bay Village for Grand Teton and in Lake Village for Yellowstone.

We plan to pick up some provisions in Jackson and prepare some of our own meals, but not do that much cooking though we will have access to kitchens.

We have plenty of time to do just about anything and have some things planned, but would anybody like to recommend specific restaurants, lodges, or places to eat at and/or a specific trail (long is fine) to hike in either park?

For those who stayed in the parks for a couple of weeks, where did you eat?

Thanks!

We did a Yellowstone in Winter tour that included the Grand Tetons. Please go to our profile to read the story.

We had a fantastic 10 day trip to both parks a few years ago. Get the book Top Trails, Yellowstone & Grand Teton, by Andrew Dean Nystrom. It has all the trails for you to choose from. Also Fodor's Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks by Brian Kevin.

Attachments

• 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the books and also the forum at tripadvisor.com. It looks like both parks are smoky right now and there are some trail and road closures from fires currently burning which will affect our trip.

And I read Souschef's write-up. Thanks! I don't expect much snow in September, but I might do a winter trip i the future as I really enjoy backcountry ski camping.

There are several fires in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area, suggest you monitor the nps.gov web site for updates. I believe the south entrance to Yellowstone is currently closed.

Breakfast at Merry Little Piglets in Jackson is great.

EDIT: sorry, but for some reason I cannot edit my original post. Two things after re-reading the original thread by LOL!. I guess you didn't ask about dining in Jackson. Second, Merry Little Piglets is a Mexican restaurant and great, but not the breakfast place I was thinking of. I can't remember the name of the breakfast place.

Thanks! We will be staying a couple nights in Jackson. But I'm coming from South Texas, so Mexican in Jackson ... well, I don't know. :)

I just remembered the name of the breakfast place. It is The Bunnery.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm contemplating a Yellowstone visit next September. The plan is to stay in the park, assuming I can actually get a room, since they're booked pretty far in advance.

So my question: How practical is it to stay outside the park? I figure much of each day would be spent driving in/out.

Returning you now to the regularly scheduled topic...

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm contemplating a Yellowstone visit next September. The plan is to stay in the park, assuming I can actually get a room, since they're booked pretty far in advance.

So my question: How practical is it to stay outside the park? I figure much of each day would be spent driving in/out.

Returning you now to the regularly scheduled topic...

The town of West Yellowstone is a decent home base if staying outside the park, the west entrance to Yellowstone is right there, many lodging choices.

We stayed in West Yellowstone last month. It's really not a big deal staying outside this park. More dining and much cheaper accommodations. We used VRBO and got a condo with full kitchen (not big fans of restaurant food). We stayed in the park at Grand Teton the previous week. The $300 /night "rustic" room had no AC or fans, no telephone, no microwave, no fridge, no tv, and the room was about 60 years old. If it was not in a National Park, I would have called it a dump.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We are staying with friends who work in the park. I am told it is $25 a night, but I might have to go work putting out a fire or two. We will have a kitchen with fridge and microwave and propane stove/oven.

I was quite happy to book early and pay more to stay at the in park lodging. It was important to me to be very close to the sights for early morning and early evening photography, without having to drive an hour or more to get there or back to my room. We stayed at 4 different lodges in the park so our room was always close.

We stayed in West Yellowstone last month. It's really not a big deal staying outside this park. More dining and much cheaper accommodations. We used VRBO and got a condo with full kitchen (not big fans of restaurant food). We stayed in the park at Grand Teton the previous week. The $300 /night "rustic" room had no AC or fans, no telephone, no microwave, no fridge, no tv, and the room was about 60 years old. If it was not in a National Park, I would have called it a dump.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Appeals to my cheap bast*rdness...

I was quite happy to book early and pay more to stay at the in park lodging. It was important to me to be very close to the sights for early morning and early evening photography, without having to drive an hour or more to get there or back to my room. We stayed at 4 different lodges in the park so our room was always close.

Was my thought too.

Grand Teton:
* We did the Jennie Lake Loop - with an offshoot to go to a meadow known for Moose sightings. Easy day hike, surprisingly uncrowded even during peak summer crowds.
* We drove to the top of Signal Hill - Amazing view of the tetons, the lakes, and the fields to the east.
* We also spent time just hanging out around the cabin at Lake Colter... This was the end of our trip and the kids had finally adjusted to no tv, no video games, no cell phones, etc.

Yellowstone: We stayed in 3 different lodges/cabins in the park: Canyon, Lake, and Old Faithful. The park is really spread out and we didn't have the opportunity to explore the eastern part of the park at all.

Canyon lodge area - we hiked around Artists Point and Lookout Point. We drove over to the Mammoth and Tower Falls areas. (Saw baby bears near Tower Falls.)

Lake Area - the Lake Hotel looked like it had great food - but we were cooking our own food on the porch of our cabin at Lake Lodge. (No cooking in the cabins.) I think we did some hikes suggested by the visitors center... but nothing stands out in my memory.

Old Faithful and Madison area - there are so many cool geisers and trails around there.

Be aware - distances are greater than they appear - it took a few hours to get from Lake to Old Faithful. IIRC you cross the continental divide... TWICE.

We liked the Jenny Lake Loop also. If you go to Signal Hill at dusk, you will likely hear Elk bugling. An eerie sound with the Tetons as background.

We just returned from trip out West and had the best time. The two nights before Yellowstone, we stayed in Cody, WY. Visited the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, lunch at Irma's and rodeo. The next day, we drove up to Red Lodge, MT and took Bear Tooth Highway into the NE entrance of YS. Cooke City was fun to walk around - and there we saw our first (of about a couple thousand) buffalo.

Ate lunch at Roosevelt (taco salad was good). We spent first two nights at Canyon Lodge and last night in Grant Village. We did a good deal of walking around Old Faithful geyser area and Mammoth Hot Springs area. Old Faithful Inn was good to sit in and relax. The coffee shop on second floor has unlimited refills for each day.

Those two days of walking made me feel better about all the days I spent sitting in the car.

We enjoyed our meal at the Grant Village Dining Room on our last night.

Canyon Lodge was nice, but not within walking distance of dining. Room was superior to Grant Village. Once we got accustomed to no television and very spotty cell phone coverage, we enjoyed the peacefulness that provided. At Canyon, we sat outside in the evenings and looked at the sky. DH was putting peanuts on the sidewalk and watching some sort of little mouse eat them. I am still threatening to turn him in for feeding an animal when signs everywhere warned against it. I never saw this mouse; DH claims it was super cute.

We drive through a bit Tetons on our way home.

It was one our best trips ever. Friends had warned us that the trip out (Kansas, Wyoming) would be boring. Since it was new to us, we found it amazing.

If you stay in Cheyenne, the Little America was a very nice property for $61 on Hotwire (3* with 95% guest satisfaction). This was on the way home. Room, food, lounge were all above par.

We saw lots of wildlife and color and heard a myriad of bubbling sounds with heat. You will have a wonderful experience.

If you have the time, think about driving to the west side of the Tetons and hike in the Targhee National Forest. The hike up to Table Mountain will give you a different view of the Tetons - from the west and high up. I did the hike way back in Sept 1988 and still remember it fondly.

I found this write up online.
Hike Table Mountain In The Tetons | A Mountain Journey

If you have the time, think about driving to the west side of the Tetons and hike in the Targhee National Forest. The hike up to Table Mountain will give you a different view of the Tetons - from the west and high up. I did the hike way back in Sept 1988 and still remember it fondly.

I found this write up online.
Hike Table Mountain In The Tetons | A Mountain Journey

+1. When I hiked the Tetons from Jenny Lake, we saw hundreds of other hikers. When I hiked from the west side, I could count the other hikers on one hand.

We just returned from trip out West and had the best time. The two nights before Yellowstone, we stayed in Cody, WY. Visited the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, lunch at Irma's and rodeo. The next day, we drove up to Red Lodge, MT and took Bear Tooth Highway into the NE entrance of YS. Cooke City was fun to walk around - and there we saw our first (of about a couple thousand) buffalo.

Ate lunch at Roosevelt (taco salad was good). We spent first two nights at Canyon Lodge and last night in Grant Village. We did a good deal of walking around Old Faithful geyser area and Mammoth Hot Springs area. Old Faithful Inn was good to sit in and relax. The coffee shop on second floor has unlimited refills for each day.

Those two days of walking made me feel better about all the days I spent sitting in the car.

We enjoyed our meal at the Grant Village Dining Room on our last night.

Canyon Lodge was nice, but not within walking distance of dining. Room was superior to Grant Village. Once we got accustomed to no television and very spotty cell phone coverage, we enjoyed the peacefulness that provided. At Canyon, we sat outside in the evenings and looked at the sky. DH was putting peanuts on the sidewalk and watching some sort of little mouse eat them. I am still threatening to turn him in for feeding an animal when signs everywhere warned against it. I never saw this mouse; DH claims it was super cute.

We drive through a bit Tetons on our way home.

It was one our best trips ever. Friends had warned us that the trip out (Kansas, Wyoming) would be boring. Since it was new to us, we found it amazing.

If you stay in Cheyenne, the Little America was a very nice property for $61 on Hotwire (3* with 95% guest satisfaction). This was on the way home. Room, food, lounge were all above par.

We saw lots of wildlife and color and heard a myriad of bubbling sounds with heat. You will have a wonderful experience.

This is great !
Makes me want to hop in the car and go right away.

I love your summary, because you provided the details that appeal to me, so that I have an idea of what to expect, where to stay or eat.

Bear Tooth Pass could be snowed in for the season in September.

Well, I live in the area. DW and I stayed at Lake Village. It is fairly easy
access to most of the major hot spots to see/visit. Kind of central location
in the park. There is some infrastructure there like a store and restaurant
and rv appurtenances. If you have a Gov ID, you can contact the
concession contractor and ask for an employee cabin. We got ours at
an unbelievable rate. They are some what primitive, but keeps the bears
off of you. And last but not least

You really need to reserve a table and spot at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel
Dining room. try to get a time near Sunset it will blow you away and the
staff really all try to earn their tip money! What a grand experience.
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/dining/lake-yellowstone/hotel-dining-room/

Last edited:
Back from my trip.

As 1vertical just noted, in YNP we did stay in guest/park_employee housing and it was not primitive at all. Price was $25 per night per bedroom and we could do all our own cooking in a modern kitchen. We made breakfasts and dinners, but for lunches we simply snacked in the car or out on the trail..

We did hikes in GTNP including the Jenny Lake, Inspiration Point, that Moose loop, and many others. Grand Tetons is about hiking and not so much wildlife viewing, but we saw bears, moose, elk, bison, pronghorn, mule deer, and birds.

YNP is more about a driving safari for wildlife viewing and geysers. Contrary to what was previously posted, the distance from the Lake Village area to Old Faithful is only 38 miles and takes less than an hour (we drove it 5 times). We drove on almost all the open main roads including the entire Grand Loop. We visited all the Visitor Centers and Information Centers and went in/out both the Northeast entrance and the South Entrance. We did not go to the East nor the West Entrances. We were near the North Entrance when we visited the Mammoth Hot Springs area (VC has free WiFi), but did not pass through though we were told the Arch was open.

We saw bison, elk, bears, bighorn sheep, pronghorn, mule deer, a wolf viewing pack, birds, and Homo sapiens.

We learned that less than 5% of YNP visitors really get out of their cars and hike. About 95% will drive from spot to spot and just look from the car window or get out to view an overlook.

Here is my BIG TIP though: When driving to view wildlife there is always something better around the next turn or over the next hill. At first, we would see a herd of bison say a quarter mile off the road. Lots of cars would stop and people would get out to take photos. But we would drive a half mile and another group of bison would be in the road, so within 5 yards of your car. So our method was to be discriminating on stops for photo ops and to drive through "animal jams" where the animals were 100 yards or more away from the road. For closer animals, we would often drive through and loop back, then reverse direction. That way, we went past close-up wildlife up to three times. We had plenty of time to do this because we started early each day and lived in a central location.

As for geyser viewing, I think most park visitors miss most of the spectacular geysers because they don't run on schedule like Old Faithful and require walking or more driving to get to them. The park rangers sometimes know when some geysers will go off from what has happened in the past week, but they can only estimate within an hour or two. We saw geysers go off that some park employees had not seen themselves in over 8 years of working in the park. Patience, time, and luck play a part in all this.

I will post some photos later today.

a13i9z.jpg

212tl5y.jpg

egzgy9.jpg

sz8orn.jpg

2j1qzog.jpg

Last edited:
I love it when there is a trip report at the end of a thread that asks for advice.

How many days did you spend at Yellowstone?
Is the accommodation you used in Yellowstone available to the public? The previous poster said something about government id.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom