Great '50s-'60s music podcasts

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody got any suggestions? I'm listening right now to a WORT-FM broadcast out of Madison called "I Like it Like That" by rock historian "Rockin John" McDonald. The guy sounds like Kermit The Frog but he knows his music! He just played a recording by Irma Franklin (Aretha's sister) of "Piece of My Heart" that later became a hit for Janis Joplin. Tonight's signoff tune: "The Psychedelic Worm" by Johnny and the Hurricanes. Lots of B-sides and obscurities as well as the classic hits.

Unfortunately, WORT's archives are somewhat limited, so you can't go exploring the rabbit hole for hours on end. But every two-hour show is accessible on the station website for a couple of weeks. Go to WORT 89.9FM/HD Madison, Wisconsin and click "audio archives."

I became addicted to Spotify a couple of years ago. You can stream their pre-programmed music genres (and tag your favorites to your own playlist), or better, program your own playlist for free (limited commercials). I like hard to find and B-side rock classics from the mid-60's and early 70's, and have found many on Spotify-my list is 300 plus.

A couple of favorites: Johnny B. Goode, by Hendrix (from the hard to find Hendrix in the West album), and Loan me a dime, by Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman on slide guitar.

I became addicted to Spotify a couple of years ago. You can stream their pre-programmed music genres (and tag your favorites to your own playlist), or better, program your own playlist for free (limited commercials). I like hard to find and B-side rock classics from the mid-60's and early 70's, and have found many on Spotify-my list is 300 plus.

A couple of favorites: Johnny B. Goode, by Hendrix (from the hard to find Hendrix in the West album), and Loan me a dime, by Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman on slide guitar.

Love "Loan me a dime"---it's one of my favorite songs.

Not music but I love Adam Graham's About – The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio
It is the old time radio detectives - Sam Spade, Johnny Dollar, etc.

Oh, yeah. Our local NPR station runs old radio programs on weekend nights, which they archive for streaming. My favorite is one of Jack Webb's early efforts, "Pat Novak for Hire." Very noir, but the writing can be hilarious.

Lots of B-sides and obscurities as well as the classic hits.

I'm thinking that at least half the country has no idea what a B-side is. Too bad for them. But then again, when I walk into a Best Buy I don't know what most of the stuff is.

Has anybody got any suggestions? I'm listening right now to a WORT-FM broadcast out of Madison called "I Like it Like That" by rock historian "Rockin John" McDonald. The guy sounds like Kermit The Frog but he knows his music! He just played a recording by Irma Franklin (Aretha's sister) of "Piece of My Heart" that later became a hit for Janis Joplin. Tonight's signoff tune: "The Psychedelic Worm" by Johnny and the Hurricanes. Lots of B-sides and obscurities as well as the classic hits.

Unfortunately, WORT's archives are somewhat limited, so you can't go exploring the rabbit hole for hours on end. But every two-hour show is accessible on the station website for a couple of weeks. Go to WORT 89.9FM/HD Madison, Wisconsin and click "audio archives."

Thanks for the link! It looks like something I would enjoy, so I bookmarked it for future listening. :)

I'm thinking that at least half the country has no idea what a B-side is. Too bad for them. But then again, when I walk into a Best Buy I don't know what most of the stuff is.

That got me thinking -- I got my first iPod of my day, a two-transistor pocket radio, 50 years ago. I remember my sister and I stayed up past midnight, listening to WLS in Chicago.

Top 40 radio programming had some notable personalities back then -- their schtick was often as entertaining as the music. That's one reason I like Rockin John's show. He's no Larry Lujack, but you know there's a live human being in the studio when the show is on the air.

BTW, the guy is a retired mailman, and he's been doing the program as a volunteer for 40 years on WORT. He is an institution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom