Great American Beer Festival

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Since we have quite a few here who truly enjoy good beer, it may be appropriate to mention the GABF.
Tickets will go on sale to the public at 10:00 am Denver time next Wednesday (July 30). Note that if you're a member of the BA or AHA, you can place an order 24 hours earlier than that.

Last year, tickets sold out within minutes, so this is a heads-up to anyone who might be thinking about it.

I've been going for many years (kind of required, since I'm one of the judges), but I highly recommend it at least once to anyone who has an interest in sampling an incredible variety of great beers.

I should also mention that if you can't get a ticket online, there are always scalpers outside the convention center with available tickets.

Purchase Tickets - Great American Beer Festival

We live in Denver and for us, attending the festival is not worth the cost. We just can't drink much beer and are not THAT interested in tasting them

Luckily - all the microbreweries around here brew specials for the festival, so we make it a point to go visit a couple every evening during that week. We've always had great, great beers on those visits.

I am wondering how many people noticed this ad during the SuperBowl.

Budweiser Mocks Craft Beer Snobs, Sells Craft Beers – Consumerist

That means at the same time they mock pumpkin peach ales, AB InBev just signed a deal to by Elysian Brewing Co. in Washington state. Which used to make a pumpkin peach ale.

Sorry, but if I am going to drink beer, it's going to be a good one. Though I must admit I have never tried pumpkin peach ale. ;) My preferences in beer 'flavors' is like my preference in coffee flavors - keep it simple. Though there are exceptions. :D

Last edited:
Don't fruit the beer....man law....:D

Tell that to these beer geeks (mostly men), then plan to run (or get edumacated)...

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon | Anderlecht, Belgium | BeerAdvocate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriek_lambic

Traditionally, kriek is made by breweries in and around Brussels using lambic beer to which sour cherries (with the pits) are added.[2] A lambic is a sour and dry Belgian beer, fermented spontaneously with airborne yeast said to be native to Brussels; the presence of cherries (or raspberries) predates the almost universal use of hops as a flavoring in beer.[3]

There's 'fruit beers' and then there's fruit beers. There's no law, just some good ones and some bad ones.

-ERD50

Don't fruit the beer....man law....:D
Oh - the Belgians busted that concept centuries ago!

I see someone already beat me to it.

Attachments

• 130927_bruge_beer.jpg
    130927_bruge_beer.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Oh - the Belgians busted that concept centuries ago!

I see someone already beat me to it.

Which is why I'm not a fan of Belgian beer.

Oh sure, they are an interesting curiosity, but not for daily quaffing. :D

Give me a clean IPA, or a toasty porter - keep the fruity beers, thank you very much.
:greetings10:

Some fruited beers are quite good, others seem designed more to appeal to people who don't like beer and want something to mask the beer flavor. To each his own. The world would be boring if we all liked the same things all the time.

My favorite flavored beer is one made in old bourbon casks. It picks up a hint of the bourbon. The bit of bourbon flavor melds very well with the flavor of a good beer. Very nice.

And for the record, the only flavored coffee I really like is the piñon coffee. There's something about those pine nuts that really goes well with coffee.

Hmmm... how about a piñon flavored coffee beer? :rolleyes:

Which is why I'm not a fan of Belgian beer.

Oh sure, they are an interesting curiosity, but not for daily quaffing. :D

Give me a clean IPA, or a toasty porter - keep the fruity beers, thank you very much.
:greetings10:
A heavily hopped beer tastes pretty fruity to me. Oh wait, - I mean flowery. Quite floral! Although I like it.

And for the record, the only flavored coffee I really like is the piñon coffee. There's something about those pine nuts that really goes well with coffee.

Hmmm... how about a piñon flavored coffee beer? :rolleyes:

Contact your local homebrewer's club. I suspect you could easily find someone who would make a batch and split it with you if you bought the ingredients.

My favourite style of beer is IPA or DIPA. We have some great IPA's here in the UK nowadays. The US beer scene has improved tremendously in the past 15 years, I'm a big fan of Stone, Russian River, Founders, Three Floyds, Alesmith, Firestone Walker.

Good beer makes life worth living!

I like anything from Three Floyds and Four Peaks, and most of the beer from Firestone Walker and Lagunitas, Solemn Oath(new brewery in Chicagoland). Pale ales, Stouts, Porters, Reds, Kolschs, IPAs. Not too fond of lagers.

I found another brewery that I'm getting attached to - Port Brewing

These 2 are excellent - I need to try their others

Port Brewing Shark Attack Port Brewing Shark Attack Double Red Ale

Port Brewing Old Viscosity Port Brewing Old Viscosity

I love beer. Always have, always will. :D
I stick to Coors Lite these days for minimizing my carb intake for weight control. I do add some lemon or lime juice, sometimes orange, to make it taste even better. I fill a 16 oz beer glass halfway with ice and add the citrus. Great stuff at low cost.
On a hot summer day, there is nothing like a poor man's Bloody Mary over lots of ice. It's tough to find a low salt no sugar added tomato juice these days. Maybe I'll make my own using low salt canned tomato paste and add the spices for the Bloody Mary myself.

Free, when we arrived at the hot and dusty finish line of that race we did in Peru, the Brits introduced us to something called a shandy. Half beer and half sprite or 7-up and it was delicious! Maybe you can try that sometime when the weather warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom