Greetings from clueless in Mars

Pleeplus

Recycles dryer sheets
No really…. I do live in Mars PA!

I accidentally stumbled across this forum a couple days ago and have really enjoyed all the reading, great advice and different perspectives. I can honestly say that reading this site is addicting! I am 42 and DW (what does the “D” stand for? Not dead I hope! 😄) is 41. My wife and I both came from family’s that did not manage their finances well and they passed the “gene” on to both of us. Retirement was always an afterthought and a bridge that we would cross when / if we arrived. Living paycheck to paycheck and keeping up with the “Jones’s” was our biggest concern. That is… until 2 years ago when we picked up one of Dave Ramsey’s books and familiarized ourselves with the “debt snowball” concept. Unfortunately, by the time we read it we had incurred a considerable amount of debt (specifically CC debt of ~$50K) and were living beyond our means. Over the last two years with blind determination and scaling back we have completely paid off our CC debt, have created an emergency fund (currently $20K), are maxing out both of our 401k’s, pay extra down on our mortgage (9 years left!) and have even managed to save $8K in a 529 plan for my 4 year old son. Compared to many on this board this may not sound like a ton but to my wife and me it is our first of hopefully many steps in the “right direction”. My wife laughs at me when I tell her that we have “shed our diapers and have put on our big boy/girl pants”.

Upon stumbling on this board, of course, the next thing to pop in my mind is will we ever be able to retire early or did we start too late? Also, I feel like the majority of our dollars are / will be locked in the 401K vehicle and do/will not have enough liquidity to create a nice balance.

Current combined income ~$200K Year

Savings: - $20K cash / stocks

Investments – 401Ks -

Mine $150K contributing $17,500 a year and employer matches first 4% Most funds in a lifestyle 2035 fund

DW $111K in a rollover 401K with Fidelity actively managed account
DW $2K in new 401K (new job) Contributing $17,500 a year no company match

House will be paid off in 9 years and is currently valued @ $340K
No other debt.

I will receive two pensions: one which will pay ~$1200 a month at age 65. The other will pay a lump sum of ~$161,000 and an annuity of $634 a month both at age 60.

Looking at how much we spend I am guessing that we will need around $50K a year to live after retirement. Using the 4% rule and that figure I am estimating that we will need ~$2mm to retire @65. Is this correct, it sounds low?

OK, enough about me…..

Welcome aboard! Don't worry about "starting too late". Stats show that you are way ahead of most people.

Welcome to the forum. The first step is getting started. You have done that. With your income, if you can rein in your spending a little more, FIRE will come before you know it.

The section of Mars you are from will have a lot to do with your projected needs. Some areas of that planet have a much higher cost of living than others. Or so I'm told.

Not sure about PA. Is that in some Parallel Solar System?

Last edited:
"Looking at how much we spend I am guessing that we will need around $50K a year to live after retirement"

Don't overlook the fact that your expenses will be commensurately lower once you have paid off the house. I somehow managed to miss this when doing my own calculations. Sounds like "sqare one" stuff but still...

Looking at how much we spend I am guessing that we will need around $50K a year to live after retirement. Using the 4% rule and that figure I am estimating that we will need ~$2mm to retire @65. Is this correct, it sounds low?

? IF That's $50k yr from your Savings In addition to the other Income? Only need $1,250k right?

and Unless going to Keep the Big House ... IF going to Downsize ( if your Wise, so you don;t have to Do alot of Work to it as you get Old) sell it , spend 50% on a Smaller place in a Nicer -safer-Resort area and can even go buy a Condo for winter.. or use that other 50% to add to your Retirement savings like we did..
Unless you live in Detroit.. In 20 yrs your place should be worth about $850k + and that's only at 5% apy growth value.. Ours grew at over 8% apy , 1st $500k tax free..

You might want to look in the next 5 yrs. for a Townhome to Rent out for a Tax Shelter, 15 yr mortge and it's paid off just when you want to retire. Get one in a Nice Area and With a strong HOA.. That's what we did.. we had 2 paid for by time we retired..

And We sold our home in N. Shre. Sub. of Chicago, for $400k in 03' and bought a 2 bdrm Cottage Home 60 mi North In a Wi. Resort town for $75k, put $25k in, to Remodle it into a No Maintenance place , except a Pair of Scissors to Cut Flowers in the garden..and a Push Lawn mower for the wife to use to cut the grass..
and spent another $50k for a Condo In Fla..for 4 mos Yr/winter , the rest, went into our Retirement savings..and after SS, we had enough that only need 3% yr from it..

If not too good on investing? Balanced Funds and Bonds.. that's what we did.. Didn't loose any $ and that's all we wanted.. Just keep what we put in + Inflation.. We saved more than enough..our last 10 yrs..

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Will either you or your wife get Social Security benefits? Are your pensions cost of living adjusted?

You might try plugging your numbers in to Firecalc and The Fidelity retirement planner.

Welcome Mars, enjoy the knowledge here.

DW and I grew up in Williamsport, until we could escape!

MRG

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to chatting and learning from the forum. Yes, the wife and I will be eligible for SS and the pension figures are adjusted for the future. I will take a look at firecalc. I noticed that many on the forum have spoke highly of the calculator.

Also, Mars is located in a galaxy far far away..... or as others refer to it in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Back
Top Bottom