Have You Ever Faced Intolerance...

When I was a young scruffy urchin of a kid I got the message that I was not welcome some places. It gave me a complex for quite a while.

People keep forgetting the modified golden rule, "what you do unto others, is what will be done unto you".

Only about 10% true in my experience. If you are "nice" or helpful or just brusquely effcient and "give a guy a break" now and then... you're re a dupe-a-roonie if you think that illicits reciprocol behavior. They usuallly just take what they need then turn their backs.

While on a ski day with my wife and kids--we were walking up some stairs to the lunch room (in ski boots) Some kid came sliding down the the railing and bumped into my wife...almost knocked her down the stairs-if I had not been right behind her-she would have fallen. The kid said nothing and started running off - I caught up to him and told him he was going to apoligize to my wife.......he said "f***you, what are you going to do - hit me? I'm a kid and if you touch me I sue you and get you put in jail". I was stunned, where do these kids get such a negative attitude...I did "accidently" knock him down while in line waiting for the chair lift--I did apologize profusly however ;).

Donzo said:
he said "f***you, what are you going to do - hit me? I'm a kid and if you touch me I sue you and get you put in jail".

Right answer: "No, i'm not going to hit you, but lets go find your daddy. If he doesnt tell you to apologize, I'll hit HIM instead for raising a kid thats an *******". ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Right answer: "No, i'm not going to hit you, but lets go find your daddy.

Right answer but only if he has a daddy that cares, I'll bet if you found him he was just a bigger version of his son.

youbet said:
Excellent! I've been keeping track of the use of the word f*** here on the board for a while. It's an extremely versatile word and is used as a transitive and intransitive verb, noun, adjective and adverb (both in modifying a verb or modifying an adjective. It is also incorporated into other words, such as Martha/Greg did here. As of now, board members have used this most versatile of words in every way I can think of. Congrats to all!!!

There is a word for everything (and, apparently, a Wikipedia article). In this case: tmesis.

Outtahere said:
Right answer but only if he has a daddy that cares, I'll bet if you found him he was just a bigger version of his son.

Well see, thats where that second part of the statement comes in. You bop the dad, and not wanting to get randomly bopped anymore, he tells the kid to cut the crap. You get a two-fer! ;)

This sort of multigenerational bad behavior comes into existence and is perpetuated because theres a lack of negative reinforcement. There is very little risk in being a butthead, or teaching your kids to be buttheads.

I *love* negative reinforcement of bad behavior!

Whenever I see a male with a ponytail I think the guy has some deepseated issues that need some serious intervention. :LOL:

Zipper said:
Whenever I see a male with a ponytail I think the guy has some deepseated issues that need some serious intervention. :LOL:
Well, OK, so you're right-- whaddya gonna do about it?!?

Fighting in America - Actual Conversation between the Attorney General of NY (Spitzer) and the AG of CA (Lockyer)

Spitzer: You want to step outside, that's fine! I grew up in the Bronx!

Lockyer: No problem I grew up in East LA. Lets go!

When people start getting on my case about having kids I usually respond along the lines of...

"Well, I'm 36 now, so even if I bagged some honey tonight and got her knocked up, the soonest I could have one would be 37. And that means the damn things wouldn't be out of the house until I'm well into my 50's!"

That usually either shuts people up or starts them laughing. But either way it usually changes the subject.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I cant tolerate your intolerance of intolerance.

You probably have a ponytail too.
I decided on a new credo to live by:

Intolerance of all things.

Now I can't even tolerate that credo. :rant:

I knew I didn't want kids from the time I was a teenager, spent a lot of years fending off questions about why I didn't have kids. The one that worked the best and still does is " I am/was unable to have children" , when they talk about medical advances I remind them that in my prime years they didn't have the medical advances of today. Usually shuts them right up.

It wasn't until I was 37 that I found out I would have had a very very difficult time concieving, so I wasn't really fibbing to everyone.

sgeeeee said:
I decided on a new credo to live by:

Intolerance of all things.

Now I can't even tolerate that credo.   :rant:

An offshoot of Buddhism?

Ha

You ever been poor? Really poor? People look down their noses at you, and you can develop an inferior complex, if you let it. Or, you could use it to inspire you to get richer or as I deem it, to get independent. Always use intolerance as a motivator to get better, not to get even.

You ever been poor? Really poor? People look down their noses at you, [/i]

HA , I've gotten that from people I can buy and sell because dont look the part.

Or, you could use it to inspire you to get richer or as I deem it, to get independent.

Are the means opportunity and good luck necessary for this always there for everyone in every situation? If not, it's all smoke.

Always use intolerance as a motivator to get better, not to get even.

Nice platitute monica. That's just what they want you to think.

Andre1969 said:
When people start getting on my case about having kids I usually respond along the lines of...
"Well, I'm 36 now, so even if I bagged some honey tonight and got her knocked up, the soonest I could have one would be 37. And that means the damn things wouldn't be out of the house until I'm well into my 50's!"
That usually either shuts people up or starts them laughing. But either way it usually changes the subject.
In a few more years you can tell people that you don't want to be sending your kids to college while you're drawing Social Security.

An older friend of mine (age 62) loves his kids but says that he's really going to hit it off big with his own grandkids. He claims that by the time his kids (now pre-teens) produce his grandkids he'll also be wearing diapers and eating baby food...

Outtahere said:
I knew I didn't want kids from the time I was a teenager, spent a lot of years fending off questions about why I didn't have kids. The one that worked the best and still does is " I am/was unable to have children" , when they talk about medical advances I remind them that in my prime years they didn't have the medical advances of today. Usually shuts them right up.
It wasn't until I was 37 that I found out I would have had a very very difficult time concieving, so I wasn't really fibbing to everyone.
After sea duty as a nuclear submarine junior officer, spouse and I went to shore duty at the Naval Postgraduate School and thought that the Monterey Peninsula is the world's largest adult playground. Others must've felt that way too because some quadruplex Navy houses would have 10-15 kids playing in the common yard.

The first weekend party we were invited to was a baby shower (which made up about 75% of NPS's social events). As spouse & I headed for the beer keg, a patrolling pack of wives (no guys) snapped up my spouse and hauled her back to the baby table for interrogation. After I finally drew two beers (gotta have priorities) I headed back over there just as the inquisition broke up. Spouse didn't have much to say but I had to reverse course empty-handed for more beer.

At that time I was the only submariner at the school so I regularly got strange questions from people who were curious about the force. So I wasn't surprised the following Monday to get a question from a classmate (who'd had duty on a nuclear aircraft carrier) asking me how much radiation exposure I'd had. (Only a couple hundred millirem gamma.) His only comment was "Hmm, thanks, I was wondering about that." Later a couple more surface nukes asked me the same question, and that afternoon I even got it from a Marine.

I recounted the story to spouse that night and she said "Uhm, that might be my fault." The other wives had been relentless about having kids: "You've been married for six months and you're not pregnant yet?!?" "What were you two doing when you were driving cross-country?" "Are you medically OK?" "Do either of you have any other kids?" "How many kids are you going to have while you're here?" Desperately thirsty for a frosty beverage, spouse had blurted out "He's had a lot of radiation exposure and he needs some recovery time, OK?"

Sometimes I think back on those halcyon days and wonder if we shoulda quit while we were ahead...

Under ideal circumstances, I would've liked to have had 2.1 children. But since my first marriage was "less than ideal", we had one. Some days I'd like to throw him back, but... :p

Wasn't really looking to have more after that, and didn't. No regrets...

I can only recall one event in over 20 years, and I can't judge if it's intolerance or discrimination or just plain belief in something different by the other person.

I was in a small town in northwestern Nebraska, going for an MBA from a small state college so that I could keep legal immigration status.  I was renting the basement apartment of a sweet 80+ year-old lady.  Her son-in-law would come in periodically to do repairs.  He was a slight man, soft-spoken, not threatening at all. 

One time, he came to repair something and engaged me in conversation and asked if I were dating.  I was, so I said yes and he asked if the guy was American and I said yes.  And then he told me about God not wanting races to mix, and that's the reason why there were all these geographical obstacles--mountains, rivers, oceans, etc.  (Silently, I was trying to decide if I should ask him why God allowed us to invent carts, cars, planes, trains, etc. but I decided to just let him go on.)  He went on about what would my then-BF's and my offspring be if we had one.  (Human?) Then, he rhetorically asked if there were species of animals that mixed, and truly not knowing much about biology as a business major, I said what about dogs?  I can't recall how the conversation ended but eventually he went away.

My then-BF was steamed when I told him about this, but I dissuaded him from talking to the guy because the sem was ending and I'd be moving out anyway.  Also, I just started thinking of what an uncle of mine would do in such a situation.  (I look up to this uncle.)  I decided that he would kind of think "I am glad that I know better than that man."

Other minor intolerance I've encountered were just in the form of comments not about me but other officemates from other countries who'd bring food for lunch that smelled a little stronger or fishier than standard American fare.  I would always feel uncomfortable even if I were not the subject because I was a foreigner, too, and loved strange, smelly food.  I remember my aunt from the US visiting us in the Philippines when I was just a child and still living there.  She announced that Americans are very sensitive to smell.  Our neighborhood in Manila was (still is) a hodge-podge of smells that our noses had become desensitized but here in the US, there are not very many bad smells.

So, there you have them, my intolerance experiences--intolerance of racial intermixing and intolerance of smells.

Back
Top Bottom