Have you ever won anything without putting any money down?

Years ago the hospital that I worked at ran this program called "Spirit of ideas " . You basically came up with money saving ideas and you won prizes . I won a grandfather's clock , a bedroom set & an electric frying pan. The hospital never put the ideas in motion so the program was a giant bust . "Spirit of Ideas " became our code word for stupid idea .

Years ago we won a free weekly pizza for a year from Pizza hut. They gave us 52 coupons at once, each good for any pizza size and combination. Even though we were weren't restricted to one a week it did take us close to a year to use all the coupons - not having teenage kids at the time helped.:LOL:

This year we won a pair of tickets to the new Yankee Stadium Legends Suite. That was quite an experience - not only tickets 2 rows behind the Yankees dugout, but access to an incredible multi-level restaurant with an amazing array of fresh food and snacks, all you can eat. They also gave you a gift (bobble head of a Yankee legend) that folks were trying to buy from us for $20 after the game; we didn't sell and checked ebay, they are going for around $50. So we have another small "investment" for retirement. :LOL:

About 20 years ago we moved to the present house from a much smaller one. We had cash left over from the sale and decided to get couches for our larger room off the kitchen. We went to a larger furniture store and bought everything we needed. There was a 2-year no interest deal, so the cash stayed in our pocket.

At the cashier we were given an entry to a tv/electronics giveaway. Maybe a month or two later we were informed that we won: 32-inch TV, amplifier, vcr and four speakers. I think the value of all that may have been $1500 or so. A nice gift. The TV was still working last year when taken to recycle. The amp recently gave up.

A free trip to Washington, DC, when my school sent a teacher (me) to the White House to pick up its Blue Ribbon Schools Award from the US Dept. of Education. Got to shake hands with Clinton and hang out in DC for three days on the school district's dime.

(However, maybe my "down payment" had been the usual unreimbursed teacher expenses: all the stuff we buy for our classrooms, the 60-70 hr. work weeks, checking for weapons and drugs, and learning how to break up fights. Since I was sent as a "faculty representative," my trip may have also reflected the sacrifices of my comrades in the trenches.)

Nonetheless, it was a blast to go and have the district pay!

:D

Last edited:
I won $500 this year on City-Data for being the 'Most Engaging Poster' one month.

I won a VCR on a company's annual picnic (or is it the Christmas party?). At the end of the year, I got a notice that I have to report it as part of my income.

Won (drew)(given) #17 for the Army Draft/Lottery in the late 60's. Classmate had #16 and they took him early spring. We were from a county with a small population, and my number never got called. Often wonder what would have happened if I had been drafted. Knowing my luck, probably would have ended up dead in Vietnam.

Mid 1950's,( 7-8 years old) was under the stage of the local county fair scrounging beans for my pea-shooter (plastic straw that you blow bean seeds with), and heard 2 officials saying they put 500 pennies in a jar for a drawing for whoever guessed the closest to the amount. Didn't want to seem obvious, so I guessed 488 and won the 5 bucks. Guess my life of crime started early.

Reminds me of the lottery I did win - drew 256 in the draft lottery and they only got to about 200 or so. A buddy drew 356 - only trouble was, he was in Da Nang at the time because he "just knew" he was going to get drafted so volunteered for the Marines.

I've won two big prizes that come to mind.

The first was a lifetime pass to a local ski area in a drawing that I won when I was a freshman in college. I used it all my college years and perhaps a year or two after that and then the ski area wen bankrupt and as an unsecured creditor I got nothing.

The second was a nice mountain bike for closest to the pin in a golf tournament. I was at a industry conference that included an afternoon of golf. I was actually having a pretty good round when we got to the closest to the pin par 3 hole. The hole had a long gully that you had to carry from the tee and the pin that day was in the near right corner of the green - a bit of a sucker pin given how close it was to the gully and the trouble to the right of the pin. I decided that I didn't want to ruin my good round by going for the sucker pin so I lined up for the middle of the green. I ended up pushing the shot (to the right) and ended up about 6' from the pin.

Nothing sweeter than winning on the golf course.....Although we had to pay $50 entry fee, we won $300 a piece this year capturing 2 skins and closest to the pin despite bringing up near the rear of a 60 team tourney. We won more money than any other team. Twosome we were paired with beat us by 12 strokes and they didn't win a cent. They were not happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom