Having children.

Leo,

This is a subject upon which even the most worthless people can have an opinion, maybe even a useful one. In that spirit, and since you asked, I offer the following comments.

Many things are going on here.

There may be a big difference between the way you look at these things and the way most of us on this forum look at the same things because of cultural differences. Please keep this in mind. We [OK, I] may not understand the differences.

I see two issues: Will you two stay together as spouses, and will you both be happy with children?

Educational differences between spouses can be important. We know what you have been doing, but we don't know what she has been doing. Is she also a university graduate?

Here is another stability issue. I have heard about this and even seen it myself: Marriage after long courtship or living together for a long time sometimes does not last. Marriage is not the same thing as living together. Something to think about, but it is only a generality and all generalities are false, including this one (quote from Pogo—an ancient philosopher from Florida).

It is important that you are talking about these things at 22. I sense that you like the idea of being a father, but clearly, intellectually you know the costs. Your partner, when young, said she wanted children but has had time to grow up with you and learn your heart. You and your partner listen to each other, which is a very good sign. In the balance, I think you both would be very happy with children.

If you have children early, you pay for them early. Have them late, and you will still be paying for college when others are funding their retirement. Kids cost money and they are a lousy investment. They are also the most important thing in the world for those of us who choose to be parents. Older parents are mellower, less excitable. Younger parents feel the stress more, but they have the most energy.

As far as having teenagers, nobody said it would be easy, but sometimes it is. If you start now, you will be 36 when the first one becomes 13. You can handle it. About ten billion parents before you managed somehow.

Believe it or not, you can take courses in parenting, and believe it or not, they can help a lot! Strongly recommended! Both of you should go together and both of you should expect to share the burdens of parenthood. (Here is where some of the cultural differences come in. I recommend that you be fully involved as a parent and share the load with your spouse as is popular up here. This is not very Latin or European, but you will have a lot more fun and your kids will turn out better, too. For example, it is great fun reading stories to one's kids. This may be foreign to Brazilians, who on the average do not read much as a country. So, start a new trend.)

My wife and I were 38 and 40 when our kids were born. We are both college graduates and had been married for 16 years before our first was born. I built my career (such as it is) and we traveled and partied and eventually got around to wanting children RIGHT NOW! I would have been a terrible father when I was young. We are 58 now and haven't a prayer of retiring early. We could have, if I knew then what I know now, even with children. If we could change anything, we would have spent less money, saved more and invested better, but we still would have had children. It isn't the end of the world, though.

I would suggest getting married first (like, right now!) to see how you both handle the changes (commitment and responsibility). Then think about having kids. Ask yourself are you grown-ups yet? If not, don't even think about children.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Leo,

This is a subject upon which even the most worthless people can have an opinion, maybe even a useful one. In that spirit, and since you asked, I offer the following comments.

Many things are going on here.

There may be a big difference between the way you look at these things and the way most of us on this forum look at the same things because of cultural differences. Please keep this in mind. We [OK, I] may not understand the differences.

I see two issues: Will you two stay together as spouses, and will you both be happy with children?

Educational differences between spouses can be important. We know what you have been doing, but we don't know what she has been doing. Is she also a university graduate?

Here is another stability issue. I have heard about this and even seen it myself: Marriage after long courtship or living together for a long time sometimes does not last. Marriage is not the same thing as living together. Something to think about, but it is only a generality and all generalities are false, including this one (quote from Pogo—an ancient philosopher from Florida).

It is important that you are talking about these things at 22. I sense that you like the idea of being a father, but clearly, intellectually you know the costs. Your partner, when young, said she wanted children but has had time to grow up with you and learn your heart. You and your partner listen to each other, which is a very good sign. In the balance, I think you both would be very happy with children.

If you have children early, you pay for them early. Have them late, and you will still be paying for college when others are funding their retirement. Kids cost money and they are a lousy investment. They are also the most important thing in the world for those of us who choose to be parents. Older parents are mellower, less excitable. Younger parents feel the stress more, but they have the most energy.

As far as having teenagers, nobody said it would be easy, but sometimes it is. If you start now, you will be 36 when the first one becomes 13. You can handle it. About ten billion parents before you managed somehow.

Believe it or not, you can take courses in parenting, and believe it or not, they can help a lot! Strongly recommended! Both of you should go together and both of you should expect to share the burdens of parenthood. (Here is where some of the cultural differences come in. I recommend that you be fully involved as a parent and share the load with your spouse as is popular up here. This is not very Latin or European, but you will have a lot more fun and your kids will turn out better, too. For example, it is great fun reading stories to one's kids. This may be foreign to Brazilians, who on the average do not read much as a country. So, start a new trend.)

My wife and I were 38 and 40 when our kids were born. We are both college graduates and had been married for 16 years before our first was born. I built my career (such as it is) and we traveled and partied and eventually got around to wanting children RIGHT NOW! I would have been a terrible father when I was young. We are 58 now and haven't a prayer of retiring early. We could have, if I knew then what I know now, even with children. If we could change anything, we would have spent less money, saved more and invested better, but we still would have had children. It isn't the end of the world, though.

I would suggest getting married first (like, right now!) to see how you both handle the changes (commitment and responsibility). Then think about having kids. Ask yourself are you grown-ups yet? If not, don't even think about children.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed,

First of all sorry for such a late response. And THANK YOU, thank you thank you thank you for the comments you gave. I am blessed to participate in this forum with wise people like you, nords, etc.

I didn't understand, however, the cultural differences that you mentioned. I don't think there is much of a difference. Perhaps only with soccer, hehe.

My girlfriend is graduated and works in a bank. I have no doubt that I have a great relationship. We talk a lot with each other, contantly know what the other is thinking, we don't cheat each other and we just have a great time overall. She has a little problem with me interacting with other women, but that's off the subject.

We surely will marry asap, but I am having to put A LOT of time in my carrer. So I'm studying 48hs/week with no money compensation whatsoever. Because of this we're having to delay the marriage for now.

Hoever, I know for sure that we need to get married first. About children, well... she now is in the same level of me, i.e., she is uncertain but there is a possibility of having no children at all. We love each other very much and we are not feeling any "emotional holes" for a child to fill. We also value our time and freedom very much, and that certainly makes a difference about this whole child thing.

As an experiment, we got a dog for her to take care of. It was a complete DISASTER. I remember her calling me crying that she didn't want that "thing" anymore, that it took way much time to take care, that she had to be constantly watching it. So 3 days later everything was back to normal, but we no doubt became even more afraid of having a child.

Anyway, thanks to everyone very much for such wise comments and suggestions. I guess I can't find this high level of advice nowhere in the world.

Leonardo said:
As an experiment, we got a dog for her to take care of. It was a complete DISASTER. I remember her calling me crying that she didn't want that "thing" anymore, that it took way much time to take care, that she had to be constantly watching it. So 3 days later everything was back to normal, but we no doubt became even more afraid of having a child.

Sheesh...no wonder there are so many abandoned and unwanted animals in this world :mad: Since when is a dog an "experiment":confused:? Sounds like you're girlfriend is too selfish to take care of a child/"thing" because they are definitely a lot more work than a dog.

I can certainly speak from experience that if you cant manage a dog, you most certainly cannot manage a child.

Calgary_Girl said:
Sounds like you're girlfriend is too selfish to take care of a child/"thing" because they are definitely a lot more work than a dog.

...and then there is that other difference between dogs and children :angel:

Hi, Leo,

I am glad you found something of interest in my comments. Your reply helps to answer some of the questions, too.

She has a little problem with me interacting with other women, but that's off the subject.
We may have just found a cultural difference right there! ;)

I had in mind things like being totally committed to your spouse. Be her best friend and she will be yours. Let the other boys do the macho stuff; you become a family man. Give her emotional support. Think of her feelings before you think of yours.

I say these things because I have run across many comments about how 'Latin" men neglect their wives or girlfriends. I have heard that North American men are very popular with Latin and some European women because they treat their women better.

You two seem to have a pretty good relationship. Excellent! However, if you want peace in the family, you should really stop flirting with the other girls. You can see that she doesn't like it.

We surely will marry asap, but I am having to put A LOT of time in my carrer. So I'm studying 48hs/week with no money compensation whatsoever. Because of this we're having to delay the marriage for now.
This makes sense. I am glad you are not thinking of it as a permanent condition, though.

Don't worry about kids just yet. You have lots of time to decide. Go have fun, see the world, etc. (Save some money, though: Always "Live Below Your Means" (LBYM)).

The "dog experiment" was a noble effort, but it only means, "Not now." (I never could take care of pets, by the way.) Kids are completely different. Kids aren't pets. Once you have them, raising them will be the most important job of your life.

Before children, I never used to even 'see' kids. They were sort of invisible. I never paid much attention to them. Once we had our first child, my eyes were opened. All of a sudden, I saw children EVERYWHERE! The world was FULL of kids! Never noticed them before. I watched what they did, I watched how their parents looked after them, I saw them happy and unhappy. I saw the crippled ones and the ones with obvious problems and was awfully thankfull that ours were OK as far as we knew.

So, consider that your attitude and hers towards children may change with time. You have done some growing up. You are not done yet. You will grow up some more later. Enjoy yourselves now.

End of sermon.

Sorry about Frankfurt. Like everyone else, I thought it would be Brazil vs. Argentina in the end.

Best of luck!

Ed

Ed,

First of all, thanks again for the comments.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
You two seem to have a pretty good relationship. Excellent! However, if you want peace in the family, you should really stop flirting with the other girls. You can see that she doesn't like it.

Omg, I guess I translated this wrong. I by no means cheat my wife or intend to do that anywhere in my life nor do I look for women with that purpose. When I say about interacting with other women, I am saying about talking with other girl or have a female friend, for example. What I was saying is that she is a very, very jealous girlfriend.

I agree, I can't say for sure now if I want a child or not. Like you said, I'm still young and have another priorities for now.

Don't even mention about the whole TRAGEDY that was this 2006 world cup. The whole country went into a sort of colletive depression. People burnt a statue of Ronaldinho. Everyone wanted to kill the coach. Just as a side note, Parreira(the coach) has a book called "Making Winner Teams". You can guess how much this book is selling now.
The press was arrogant as always, saying that we would be the champions for sure, etc. Everyone got really angry about this team for the very,very poor performance in the field.

Well, at least our rival Argentina didn't win.

Coming to this late, but I would say that at 22, whatever you and your girlfriend decide about kids (and dogs!) now may well change later. Many stages of life ahead of you yet, so don't expect to have a settled plan now.

As for World Cup, Coach Zico was a disappointment too. You can have him back now. :)

HFWR said:
REAL football starts in about a month...  :p

Go Cowboys!!  ;)

Where does this fascination with spherical objects come from anyway? At least in baseball they get to handle oversize phallic objects...

3 Things from the Guy living in Italy.

1. Italy- 2006 World Cup Champions!!

2. The Carolina Panthers will be back in the hunt this year!!

3.  Children tend to bring out the best and worst in you.  As I young father, I wouldn't change my choices. They can be expensive but they sure are fun!! It lets me be a kid again too, riding horses, Boy Scouts, being a flag football coach for twenty 7-9 year olds, etc.  

I also factor in my FIRE, right about the time my kids enter college, I will be 42-43 and plan on being FIRE or close to it, not kicking teenagers out of my house at 3:00AM.

Of all the legacies I will leave on this earth, my children will be the best and most important.

HFWR said:
REAL football starts in about a month... :p

Go Cowboys!! ;)

Texas has a football team? And they're called "cowboys"?

Good luck with competely screw up your team with his pedantic antics Terrell Owens... :p

Yeah, looking forward to that... NOT!

Bring back Troy, Emmett, and Michael!

(Not to mention Novacek, and an all-pro front line, and def backs three deep..

And get Jimmy to quit his RE yachting lifestyle and part-time j*b at ESPN...

Hell, that team could even win with Barry as coach... :p

Having a child is the most amazing, joyful experience you will ever experience. Why in the world would you deprive yourself of it? All the money in the world could not buy the joy you will get when you hold that child in your hands.

CybrMike said:
Having a child is the most amazing, joyful experience you will ever experience. Why in the world would you deprive yourself of it? All the money in the world could not buy the joy you will get when you hold that child in your hands.

I think that those of us who decide to go child-free do not do so for strictly financial
reasons, but because we do not get any joy out of dealing with children (a view
shared by most of my friends). We already have to deal with a whiney, demanding,
infantile, pain-in-the-#$& at work (our boss) and do not need more of the same at
home. However, those few friends of mine that have children agree with you, so
I hope everyone chooses the right path for themselves.

People who do not have children and then decide that they will know the difference between having them and not.

People who never have children will never really know if they made the right choice.

It works both ways.

I know some people with kids who also wonder if they made the right choice.

We are very happy with our choice. Not everyone is happy with theirs. I have great sympathy for them, for they have a lot of pain. (Some of it looks like pure luck to me, too, so I hesitate to take credit for our success.)

Its very rewarding, and its very hard work.

But you wont understand until you do it. Little ones change your life.

This message brought to you by formerly single people who had children and are now compelled to talk you into doing it to, under the "misery loves company" guidelines. ;)

I would never try to convince someone to have kids if they didn't want to. It is work and sacrifice, you have to love kids to make it worth it, as DW and I do.

Still, you'd think those who hate kids would have worked their way out of the gene pool by now. :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom