HDL Raising Statins?

I also got mine at Dr. Mercola's site. It basically just says Arctic Krill Oil on the label but he has supposedly vetted the supplier and the quality of the product before selling it on his website. I signed up for the automatic shipment program which gives you a 10% discount on your order. Just put the next ship date way out so that if you decide you don't want more shipped to you, you can cancel the automatic ship but still get the 10% discount on your initial order. He's got a free shipping promotion going on right now.

He's an MD who strongly advocates for prevention instead of treating symptoms. He's really gotten into the UTube thing so he has lots of videos on his website. He is very full of energy and enthusiasm. It's nice to see a guy who advocates all this healthy stuff actually looking very healthy himself. I'm wary because he sells lots of stuff through his website but the krill seems to be what he says it is. I'm pleased so far.

Genetics DO play a major role. My grandpa, my dad and myself all have ridiculously high triglycerides. In the 500-600+ range.

My grandpa lived well into his 80's with no medication and my dad is 75 and healthy as a horse.

There is a measure of loss in worrying excessively about things that are marginally "wrong".

genetics is the 21st century boogeyman of health. people blame all their health problems on it. i was diagnosed with a genetic disorder that puts me at risk for some bad things and i have no problem keeping myself healthy and i don't have to go on any crazy diets. and i've never taken any prescription drug other than an antibiotic once every few years

you just have to know what you are eating and don't eat anything bad for you. and i eat all the sweets, red meat, alcohol, butter, fat and other so called bad things i want.

I have been taking artic krill as an omega-3 supplement for about two months (I mentioned krill in a previous post). Last week I went for an "routine annual visit" and the doc checked my numbers. My HDL was 62 (no, I don't exercise), my LDL was 126, my total cholesterol was 197 and my triglycerides were down to 45! They usually run about 75-80 and a drop to 45 seems pretty significant. The krill is the only thing I have been doing differently but the real test will be checking DH's triglycerides and seeing whether they have dropped also. His don't exceed 150 but if they drop 40-50% like mine did, that will be positive.

check out Flax Seeds. i used to eat flax meal but switched to seeds since they are unproccesed. you can get them at Whole Foods for like $2 a pound. probably cheaper than a pill

Just been reading the studies Merck and others did NOT release about zetia and vitorin. My father who is now pushing 80 was told last week that his new cardiologist wants to put him on ZETIA. He has been taking a generic statin for years now after his bypass surgeries. He told the doc why in the world would you want me on this drug now? Did you read the studies that have just come out?? He said he got a strange look from the doc and gave him those little pharma packs of zetia that drug companies give doctors!! Dad gets his meds from the VA and zetia is a 100 dollar a month non VA cost drug, meaning IF he decided to take Zetia he would have to pay for the drug in its entirety. He told him look, I have made it this far 80 with just his Zocor No on the Zetia.

My thing is since when has the world decided that you can eat all the fatty foods processed foods and drink all the sugar and alcohol you want then THINK taking a statin will keep you from a heart attack??

Nope eat right exercise your butt off and enjoy when you eat like the Italians and French meaning sitting down with friends and family and breaking bread, GOOD hearty bread good wine and lingering over your meals.

But alas americans just want their bojangles sausage biscuit in the car their french fries and high fructose corn syrup sodas! No wonder everyone wants a statin!

But alas americans just want their bojangles sausage biscuit in the car their french fries and high fructose corn syrup sodas! No wonder everyone wants a statin!

Well yeah. Eat the way you want, pop a pill at night, and everyone is happy!
:)

Does seem crazy to be changing your Dad's meds at this point. Particularly with one that just had some bad press.

Back
Top Bottom