Headed to Nicaragua on March 1st 2017---tips, tricks?

supernova72

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been to Panama (Bocas del Toro) and the canal.

*Don't speak Spanish. :facepalm:
*12 day trip
*Hotel for 4 days in San Juan Del Sur and airfare is about the only planning I've done
*Several folks have recommended Granada as well
*I'm more of a beach person than a museum person
*Love yoga and running
*will not have a car
*don't mind bus transport if safe
*moderate budget ($50-$75 a night for a 2 to 3 star room looks doable)
*nota a true "backpacker" hostel traveler but love having out with the locals.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any feedback I get. Hola!

You are looking for tricks ?

download a language program to your phone, it can be used offline (no connection needed).
Point and shoot a sign and it tells what it says, also does speech.
You would only need the Spanish language, if space if a premium, or get a larger flash memory card for your phone.
For window's phones, the language program is free, probably the same for Android.

It will be hot and humid.

A side trip to Ometepe (two conjoined volcanic mountains form an island in Lake Nicaragua, one is dormant the other is still listed as active). There are beaches plus swimming in an inland water hole. Take a ferry boat over, stay a night or two.

Granada is interesting for the old-style colonial architecture. There's a small beach on Lake Nicaragua. You can rent a kayak or take a boat tour of Las Isletas. La Calzada is the big touristy street -- lots of restaurants and shops -- at tourist prices. Or look for the inexpensive restaurants, where the less-well-to-do eat more traditional Nica food, which are scattered around town.

We would get a day pass to one of the big hotels (~$5) to use their pool area -- nice bar/cafe service and inexpensive massages ($20).

(As it is so poor there, there are some opportunistic crimes, so put a strap of a backpack/bag under a table leg or chair if you are at an outdoor restaurant, for example. )

Side trip to Masaya to see the active volcano and huge market.

We heard about all the big-time crime in Managua, so we only used the airport there.

If you are looking to learn Spanish, there are really inexpensive classes -- I went to a language school in Granada and it was about $120 for 4 hrs/day, 5 days a week with a private instructor. They can also arrange for inexpensive homestays for further language immersion. (I was staying with a friend's brother, so I didn't use the homestay option.) Check TripAdvisor for suggestions.

omni

You are looking for tricks ?

download a language program to your phone, it can be used offline (no connection needed).
Point and shoot a sign and it tells what it says, also does speech.
You would only need the Spanish language, if space if a premium, or get a larger flash memory card for your phone.
For window's phones, the language program is free, probably the same for Android.

That is a good tip and the app for the phone. Appreciate it! I'll have an iPhone with me and was wondering about Wifi or not. Cheers.

It will be hot and humid.

A side trip to Ometepe (two conjoined volcanic mountains form an island in Lake Nicaragua, one is dormant the other is still listed as active). There are beaches plus swimming in an inland water hole. Take a ferry boat over, stay a night or two.

Granada is interesting for the old-style colonial architecture. There's a small beach on Lake Nicaragua. You can rent a kayak or take a boat tour of Las Isletas. La Calzada is the big touristy street -- lots of restaurants and shops -- at tourist prices. Or look for the inexpensive restaurants, where the less-well-to-do eat more traditional Nica food, which are scattered around town.

We would get a day pass to one of the big hotels (~$5) to use their pool area -- nice bar/cafe service and inexpensive massages ($20).

(As it is so poor there, there are some opportunistic crimes, so put a strap of a backpack/bag under a table leg or chair if you are at an outdoor restaurant, for example. )

Side trip to Masaya to see the active volcano and huge market.

We heard about all the big-time crime in Managua, so we only used the airport there.

If you are looking to learn Spanish, there are really inexpensive classes -- I went to a language school in Granada and it was about $120 for 4 hrs/day, 5 days a week with a private instructor. They can also arrange for inexpensive homestays for further language immersion. (I was staying with a friend's brother, so I didn't use the homestay option.) Check TripAdvisor for suggestions.

omni

Thanks for the thorough reply! In Houston as we speak. I've added Ometepe to my list to To Do's. I'm not staying in Managua actually and catching a shuttle once I land. Going straight to SJDS and sort of winging it from there.

On the Spanish side if I had more time that sounds intriguing. My total trip is 12 days and hope to visit 3-4 places during that time.

I'm a fitness nut and hope to do a few Yoga classes as well. Cheers!

I wouldn't worry about crime any more than any other big city. Situational awareness. Check out the lakefront in Managua. We took a bus trip to Matagalpa from there, but not really that much to see unless you are doing the adventure tour thing. Also, check out Leon - never been, but it's supposed to be nicer than Granada.

Not familiar with the beaches, but the Isleta tour on the lake was pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom