Heading out to Jazzfest in NOLA

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Leaving tomorrow for New Orleans for a Jazzfest weekend, staying at our timeshare in a perfect location just outside the quarter.

We've hit most of the better known restaurants from many prior trips, but any gems are welcome. Especially in the warehouse district.

Perfect weather forecast, ready to betray my recent weight loss diet and re-acquaint myself with Turbodog. I am ready.

Take me take me :greetings10:

I promise not to say BBQ and crockpot in the same sentence. ;)

Have a great time. NOLA is one of those places still on my To-Do List.

Awesome - just back. Gained many pounds. Clearly the tourist areas of NOLA are back.

Wish it were the same for the unfortunate residential areas. But we had a great trip.

Reactions: W2R
I forgot to mention a Jazzfest highlight in my previous post: I was waiting in line at Mothers (a legendary place that's hard to describe, but think Carnegie Deli meets Cajun). Right behind me up steps James Taylor.

I told him he has good taste in restaurants. He says this is his third visit in 2 days. I chuckle, tell him it's as good as Emeril's. He chuckles back, says nice talking with you and takes off with his turtle soup and jumbalaya to go.

Mother's is a great little place, that's cool you met James Taylor there. Maybe he was staying around the corner at the Windsor Court?

I love NOLA Jazzfest, it's a world class event. I so unique to find so many genres of music playing next to each other. I recall once standing at the Fair Grounds where I could see a rapper on one stage (LL Cool J), a Jam Band on another stage (Widespread Panic), I could hear gospel coming from a nearby tent while African drummers played inside a man powered merry-go-round. Another nice thing is the mix of food offered by all the vendors and the reasonable beer prices (at least back then).

One thing I always enjoyed about Jazzfest were the smaller shows happening all around town where musicians would sit in with each other. I have seen some amazing shows in small venues where people like Lenny Kravits, Derek Trucks and others have come to jam with their fellow musicians. It's really a special vibe, the biggest problem is too much going on and not enough time (or energy) to see it all.

Leaving tomorrow for New Orleans for a Jazzfest weekend, staying at our timeshare in a perfect location just outside the quarter.

We've hit most of the better known restaurants from many prior trips, but any gems are welcome. Especially in the warehouse district.

Perfect weather forecast, ready to betray my recent weight loss diet and re-acquaint myself with Turbodog. I am ready.
wow.....would love to attend a great jazz show.....nothing better in my opinion!!! let us know how it turns out!

Crazylegs, thanks for the good wishes andn welcome to the board. You may want to check the dates of the posts you're replying to. The original was 4/24, long since come and gone.

But we did have a great time and will probably do it again next year.

Crazylegs, thanks for the good wishes andn welcome to the board. You may want to check the dates of the posts you're replying to. The original was 4/24, long since come and gone.

But we did have a great time and will probably do it again next year.

Plenty of time to have posted some pics... :whistle:

Here are some pics for those inquiring mind...

This beautiful little girl was throwing her arms in the air, singing and charming everyone in sight.

gospelGirl.jpg

Me, preparing for ESR:

rgnap.jpg

TubaSkinny - a street band (Royal Street) - kind of a Leon Redbone sound but different instruments.. The band stank, literally - don't get too close.

tubaskinny.jpg

My buddy, Jim and me comparing hats. Hint: I'm the one who does NOT like argyle:

jimANDrich.jpg

A typical Jazzfest venu:

FaisDoDo.jpg

We will be back. Maybe French Quarter Fest next year.

Well, well...thanks for the pics! When I saw the 2nd pic, I thought your name might be Wilson and not Rich. :D

Thanks for sharing...looks like y'all had fun.....:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom