Health Insurance Premiums for 2014

I think maybe I retired from same Megacorp. My subsidized retiree medical premium this year for DW and I is $770/mo. Next year is rises ~25% to $950/mo. This is for a HDHP, 60/40 with $2K deductible per person.

I don't think Megacorp is trying to make a profit. I think they are trying to get out of providing health insurance to retirees by raising the premiums to the point where retirees can't afford to stay with them and have to get health insurance elsewhere, e.g. - ACA Health Exchanges.

I'm just going to shell out the big bucks next year. I wouldn't want to get involved in ACA until it settles down a bit if I don't have to. I will be 65 early in 2015 so it won't matter to me a lot after next year. About time for my kids to get their own insurance too. We'll see how that works about this time next year.

For me alone, my 2014 costs will be:

$190.28 health insurance for federal retirees (no vision or dental)
$104.90 Medicare Part B

$295.18 (total)

The increase in my health insurance was 2.2% this year.

My current retirement plan is with Kaiser and has a premium of $1071.00 and is going up 8% in 2014. It is a high deductible plan, $7000 deductible, $12000 max out of pocket. We get a $230 subsidy from Colorado PERA which is based on years served. Currently $230 is the max.

With ACA for a family of 4, two children 15 and 18 we will be getting Kaiser Gold $0 deductible, $20 office visit, 30% copay $12700 max out of pocket. The premium is $1223.53/mo. After subsidies we pay $445.93/mo. We may go to a higher deductible later.

Have partially subsidized Megacorp retiree plan which covers only kids and me. DH is on Medicare already.

The history of the cost of this plan over the past 3 years:

2012 - $180 a month
2013 - $479 a month
2014 - $780 a month

This is for a plan with a $3000 family deductible, $7000 in network Out of pocket max (out of network limits are higher). Also, megacorp (who is self-insured) switches from Aetna to United Healthcare for 2014.

If unsubsidized, the premium would be $1242 a month so I'm glad to be having to pay only $780.

$378/month for Grandfathered Kaiser plan. The benefits/deductible are somewhere between a Gold and Platinum ACA plan. Although with no drug coverage.

The price increase 13% this year which is twice as much as its increased over the last dozen years.

Good and valid point, just trying to get a sampling across the folks here. I have no doubt mine will go up, just kind of curious as to what other plans are doing and how big of increases.

One would think a general retiree (80/20) plan for a pre-Medicare folks would be somewhat in the same ballpark.

I would venture to guess whether one's plan is going up significantly or not is somewhat dependent upon whether the coverage was already mostly ACA compliant or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom