Hello! Less than a month to go..

Liatris

Confused about dryer sheets
I came across this forum a few days ago when googling how to make it through the last days of work before retirement. I have 3 weeks left until I’m retired, and my boss keeps piling up work on me and it’s really getting out of control. He has always been a difficult person to work for, and is the main reason I decided to get out earlier than anticipated.

I have a hard to fill position, but he procrastinated posting my job until ~3 weeks ago. So far the candidate pool is weak. He keeps asking me (semi-joking) if I’m sure I want to go. I think he’s in denial! He acted shocked when I told him of my concrete plans earlier this year; he always knew I was aiming for 2022, but I decided that I’m able to cut the cord a little more than a year earlier than planned at age 60.

Anyway, I found a post on here that I printed up and placed on my monitor. Paraphrasing, it says just stare blankly at your co-workers when they are spouting off crap, because you don’t really care any more! It is truly helping me get through these last 3 weeks, so thank you for this forum and your support!

Congrats and just a little more to go for you. Don't need to give in on any outlandish requests if they come up.
Retirement is fantastic and will be for you too.

Thanks Dtail! I’m trying to clear out items to make way for a smooth transition, but it’s impossible when the work keeps piling on. Not my problem in 3 weeks I guess, but I hate having that attitude! :LOL:

Welcome and congratulations. Honestly with only 3 weeks to go I would work very slowly and deliberately and who cares if the work"piles up."
I would bet most people on here were very hardworking and conscientious and that's how they got to a point where they could retire early. Don't feel guilty about it.

Welcome and congratulations. Honestly with only 3 weeks to go I would work very slowly and deliberately and who cares if the work"piles up."
I would bet most people on here were very hardworking and conscientious and that's how they got to a point where they could retire early. Don't feel guilty about it.

Very well put. Do your best, as you always have. But with a grin.

Thanks Dtail! I’m trying to clear out items to make way for a smooth transition, but it’s impossible when the work keeps piling on. Not my problem in 3 weeks I guess, but I hate having that attitude! :LOL:

If the boss keeps piling on work, it sounds like she/he has the attitude, not you.

I'm six weeks out but haven't given notice yet. I, too, am having trouble shaing off the feeling of responsibility. I guess old habits die hard. I'm doing most meetings through zoom (with no video) so I state blankly at co-workers and customers and they can't see it. I have one jerk customer and just roll my eyes when he's being a jerk to me since I will be free from him very soon.

Hang in there! If I were in your shoes, I would not work any harder - just at your normal pace. What is your boss going to do anyway, fire you. :LOL::LOL:

Welcome aboard, Liatris! Soon w*rk will be a distant memory.

Hang in there! If I were in your shoes, I would not work any harder - just at your normal pace. What is your boss going to do anyway, fire you. :LOL::LOL:

+1000 :dance:

omni

Just recently made it over my finish line. My last few months felt really long as I could not take on new big projects and had to try and fill my days with smaller tasks. Keeping busy will make those 3 weeks fly by and you will be in the promised land before you know it.

My supervisor didn't even advertise for my position until just before I left--no time to help orient. Not my problem!
OP-do your normal work, don't stress if it doesn't get done. You have done your due diligence and given plenty of notice. How your boss reacts is not your problem.
I could not believe how enjoyable my last few weeks were--just knowing I was leaving was heaven.
Enjoy, and Welcome to retirement soon!

Sounds like your boss is just now thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done, so is not a very organized person. I suggest the last week or so should be spent writing up the status, where the records, background, etc. is for the giant overload of work. Certainly don't change your date or get maneuvered into burning the midnight oil, especially when the boss is a lot of the reason for retiring early.

Hang in there, it is worth the wait, even if all you do is relax like every day is Saturday. Speaking of, my wife bought me a retirement clock that shows the day of the week in addition to the time. Seemed like a joke at first, but it truly is hard to care about the day of the week once you retired and now I do find that have to check now and then!

Sounds like your boss is just now thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done, so is not a very organized person. I suggest the last week or so should be spent writing up the status, where the records, background, etc. is for the giant overload of work. Certainly don't change your date or get maneuvered into burning the midnight oil, especially when the boss is a lot of the reason for retiring early.

Hang in there, it is worth the wait, even if all you do is relax like every day is Saturday. Speaking of, my wife bought me a retirement clock that shows the day of the week in addition to the time. Seemed like a joke at first, but it truly is hard to care about the day of the week once you retired and now I do find that have to check now and then!

I almost bought myself one of those "day clocks" when I retired, but I already had enough clocks. So I just ask Alexa what day it is when I can't remember - she always knows! :D

Congrats OP. I suggest you pick and choose from that pile those tasks that satisfy you the most, since it sounds like an impossible pile anyway. If they have a priority they will tell you about it, probably on the day before you walk out LOL!

Thank you all for your encouragement. These last couple of weeks can’t go fast enough! Just keeping my eyes on the prize and trying not to stress over the amount of work. Boss is majorly stressed which makes me feel better �� I’ve provided solutions to streamline our processes and he has to “think about it” but never makes a decision.

Hang in there! I had a difficult boss, too--actually two of them. They love to push all the work on the hardest workers and assume you will be there forever. Just smile and think "this is only temporary". You may have a narcissist boss who only sees your retiring as an inconvenience to him. Congratulations and best to you!

It's been eight years since I found this place pretty much in your situation. I was terrified leaving a perfectly good job* for doing nothing. I'm glad I did and I'm glad you are here. It's OK to slack off a little after you have given notice, they're not going to fire you.

*people seldom leave perfectly good jobs, I became done after 25 good years and 4 horrible ones.

Good for you Liatris. I have a year to go (399 days tbh) so every work day I repeat the mantra of
'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Good for you Liatris. I have a year to go (399 days tbh) so every work day I repeat the mantra of
'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

I taped this image to my computer stand for the last five years I w#rked.

It helped!

Attachments

• Circus Monkeys.jpg
    Circus Monkeys.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 67
Thank you all for your encouragement. These last couple of weeks can’t go fast enough! Just keeping my eyes on the prize and trying not to stress over the amount of work. Boss is majorly stressed which makes me feel better �� I’ve provided solutions to streamline our processes and he has to “think about it” but never makes a decision.
Don't stress, just remember that no matter what you do, you're out of there in two weeks! Your boss can complain all he likes, but right now he definitely needs you a lot more than you need him, so do your work at your normal pace and just leave time to document any unfinished tasks. It sounds like your boss isn't going to let you wrap anything up neatly, so the most professional thing to do IMO is leave enough documentation so someone else can jump in to finish. What is he going to do, fire you?? :cool:

I think you should stop worrying about the j*b, and start thinking what you can do for yourself before you leave. No, not stockpiling a lifetime supply of pens! Think about what will make your post-w*rk life easier and things you can take care of that you won't be able to do after you're gone.

There's a really old thread here with some great advice, especially post #9 from Nords.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/how-do-did-you-prepare-for-er-20952.html

BrianB

Congrats! I had a countdown clock on my computer for the last month and it really helped. I'd get back from a meeting and smile as it ticked off another hour.

Now that you are in your last week I recommend doing a lot of goodbyes to those who matter and enjoying that none of it concerns you anymore.

Enjoy!

I think you should stop worrying about the j*b, and start thinking what you can do for yourself before you leave. No, not stockpiling a lifetime supply of pens! Think about what will make your post-w*rk life easier and things you can take care of that you won't be able to do after you're gone.

There's a really old thread here with some great advice, especially post #9 from Nords.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/how-do-did-you-prepare-for-er-20952.html

BrianB
Thanks, Brian, it's nice to see those old posts get a new life.

... and it took me nearly a decade to work through that box of Skilcraft government pens!

So 3 weeks are up, which was the notice Liatris gave before retiring. Inquiring minds want to know, did Liatris manage to get out the door? Seemed like the boss was creating a lot of turmoil, maybe to try to guilt Liatris into staying.

Thanks! I just printed two copies. One for work and one for the home office.

You're very welcome! I used to look at the image and take a few deep breaths, and that helped me let go of a bunch of stress on the crazy days.

A few of my good friends at w#rk threw me a "virtual retirement party" via MS Teams when I retired at the end of 2020. One unexpected benefit to "Covid Year 2020" was that I managed to escape any kind of company-wide party when I retired. If I had tried to wriggle out of that while we were w#rking in-person I would have received no end of grief from certain parties at w#rk.

Friends sent me gifts (or dropped them on my porch) prior to the party. One of the gifts was this t-shirt. I threw away the "Not My Circus" pictures and "upgraded" to the shirt! :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YNBRS8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom