Hello! Sorry, I talk a lot

threeonesix

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, I am Brian. I am sorry for the following data dump, I am terrible at being abrupt! Have spent too many years in Technical Writing.

I would like to know where I stand in my goal for ER but it's so difficult with so much information out there. I have been reading through the forums here and other websites as much as I possibly can, for the last year. Would love to hear your opinions. If you would like to share advice I am more than happy to listen, that just isn't the goal here, I don't want anyone to think I'm asking for free advice.

I am 50 years old, single, never married, no children. I live in a very inexpensive town where I grew up, in the Wichita, KS area. I owe just under $50k on my mortgage on a 4BR, 3BA, 3600 sq ft house, that will be paid off in the next few years. It's way too much space for me but I love the house, it's on a lake and I am able to store my GeoPro 19FBS in my driveway with no problems. Not looking to move unless I decide to go full time RVLife, which is entirely possible after retirement.

I graduated from college in 2001 and have around $13k left on my student loan. After college I worked for a friend's company doing IT management. Unfortunately we did not have a 401(k) available. I made just enough money to save a little in a Vanguard IRA during the 10 years I worked there, that balance currently stands at roughly $40k. In 2012 the company closed and I accepted a position in IT at a new employer that does offer a 401(k). I immediately began contributing as much as possible. My employer matches 100% at 4%. Over the last few years I have been able to contribute the maximum amount allowed every year. My 401(k) account now sits with a $220k balance. My salary and bonuses total around $130k/year. Which is not a lot for many US locales but here that is very good income, top 10% for sure.

I did not inherit any money from my parents, they never made enough to save much and passed away with a ton of debt. I did not inherit the debt, thankfully. They were great people and wonderful parents, just not educated and never even made $100k combined in any year. They had a healthy 401(k) but lost about half of it during the dot-com bust in the early 00's and were never able to recover that.

I have also been able to start a Vanguard investment account, but have stuck to Russell index funds only, no individual stocks. That account contains right around $100k currently. In July 2021 my employer was acquired by a public company. The new employer allows us to invest up to 12% of our salary in company stock which we are able to purchase at a 12% discount through E*Trade. So I am also taking advantage of that benefit at the full 12%.

My hope is that I will be able to retire in 2030. By then I will have no debt. Health insurance is a major concern as I battled incurable Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma between 2012 - 2015. Following chemotherapy we discovered that my pancreas was damaged so I am also now Type 2 diabetic. I manage that well so far, I have not had any issues other than slightly high glucose (between 120 - 140 highs, 80 - 100 lows). So in retirement I will have to continue with both fast-acting and slow-acting daily insulin shots.

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali that pulls my travel trailer. The truck currently has 120k miles. I am confident it will last me another 10 years, I am very good with keeping up maintenance and it still runs as good as it did the day I bought it. I know that eventually I will have to upgrade to a newer truck but I never buy new, only slightly used, to try to keep that cost down. I hate car payments.

If all goes well between now and 2030 I expect to have around $800k in retirement funds, not including the value of my house. I will consider a reverse mortgage as I have nobody to leave wealth for. The only family I have left are very distant cousins, many of whom I have never met.

I am worried that there are holes in my plan, and probably for very good reasons unknown to me at present. I'm sure everybody goes through these worries, and I do realize that things can change very quickly. I have lived on a budget since 1994 and I stick to that budget religously. I believe it to be possible that my expenses will be lower in retirement; at least I certainly hope so. Really depends on health issues.

So my question is ... does my plan hold water or will I have to work until my full retirement age? No men in my family have ever lived to 80 so I would love to have a good 15-20 years in retirement, and am willing to do whatever necessary to make that happen. I have already started cutting expenses considerably, for things like travel, eating out and entertainment.

I should also add that I am hoping to forego collecting Social Security as long as possible, to realize as much monthly income from that as I can.

Welcome to the forum.

... I don't want anyone to think I'm asking for free advice...

Hey, you know what they say free advice is worth.

Seriously, seeing that you are a frugal guy and know what you want, I think you should be able to make it. In 2030, you will be 58-year-old, and with enough assets to retire it looks like.

Life has a way of throwing us curve balls, but we just have to deal with it as it happens. Your plan looks solid to me.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard! We are RVers as well (have a giant 5th wheel right now). Those GeoPros are the bees knees.

One bit o' data I did not see was your annual expenses including taxes, healthcare, etc... Did I miss that?

You are 50 years old, single. You live in a very low COL place where you have a big house with a low balance. But it's on a lake, and there's just so much lake frontage--should appreciate very well. Your GeoPro 19FBS RV is small but it has a great floorplan to travel in.

You still owe $13k left on my student loan and you should look to promptly pay that off. Your Vanguard IRA is $40k. Your present 401K is matched 100% to 4%, and it has a $220k balance. How is your ROE on your 401K? Are you invested in the best funds available within your employer's program?

And you're doing very well with $130k year in salary & bonus'.

Your Vanguard investment account is in Russell index funds with $100k current balance. Have you considered moving funds into a Roth account--to the max. yearly?

Your employer allows you to invest up to 12% of base salary in company stock at a 12% discount through E*Trade. My question is how solid is your employer financially? Any single stock is inherently more risky than mutual funds or ETF's. (I also invested in company stock at Ford for 20 years, and it's still a roller coaster 40 years later.)

You would like to retire in 2030 with no debt. Health insurance should be a major concern but you're 7 years after cancer, and time is your ally. It's hard to tell what insurance plans will be available 8-9 years from now, but some ACA plans can be obtained with prior illnesses.

I too am a Type 2 diabetic, and you're in pretty good shape with 120 - 140 highs and 80 - 100 lows). I'm on an insulin pump which allows me to eat pretty much normal. The pump's great but expensive unless you're on a great insurance program that pays well. It's those lows that really get you.

Keep that 2011 GMC C1500 to pull that travel trailer. It'd be nice if it could last until your retirement.

Keep living the life of a frugal single man, and hopefully the equities markets will turn around again--over the long run. None of us know what the future holds in the inflation end.

I had a close friend (next door neighbor) that passed late last year with only a cousin he didn't know well. He owned a bunch of local bank stock and had a lot of real estate. His best friend growing up had been watching over him through years of bad health, and he inherited the estate. There are other local agencies that could have used some of his "real wealth." Reverse mortgages are something to avoid in just about every situation. Be sure to have a will that reflects what you want to do with your assets.

The world is in turmoil right now, and who knows what the future holds. Just keep on doing what you have been doing because you have control of that. And keep on with your travel, eating out and entertainment--all within reason.

Last edited:
IMHO, a little more "concise" would be better. Welcome to the site. Lot's of good information and life experiences here.

I think family life expectancy is a myth. It’s all about diet and exercise.
I don't know about a myth, but it's only one factor. You can't take a car with good airbags and drive it into a tree at 60pmh and expect to come away without a scratch. My dad relied on both his parents living into their early 90s, and didn't really take care of himself, and he died at 79. I'm doing 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week and yoga one hour/wk just to compensate for all my TV and computer time!

Anyway, welcome threeonesix! You should give FIREcalc a spin, and at least one other retirement planner. I use Fidelity, as I have most of our accounts there, but maybe Vanguard has something similar. You will probably need to look at your checking withdrawals and credit card spending for at least a year to make sure you have a realistic view of your retirement budget. I added up a year's worth of bills for utilities, groceries, restaurants (pre-COVID), etc., and it really helped.

I think family life expectancy is a myth. It’s all about diet and exercise.

Diet and exercise are variables you can control and I'd argue diet is more important than exercise but certainly genetics impact susceptibility to various ailments. I also think mental health/attitude are factors but hard to say if they are causal as those with poor mental health/attitude also tend to have poor physical health habits.

Control what you can control and accept that which you cannot control. Develop good habits in health and wealth... there are no guaranteed results but I believe biggest impact on our lives are made by the habits we have formed and try my best to break my bad habits and nurture good ones.

Welcome aboard! Your plan looks solid. As others have mentioned, you can get many more inputs from this knowledgeable group once they see the expense side of your equation.

P.S. Your technical writing skills are helpful and avoid too many follow up questions…

Hi, I am Brian. I am sorry for the following data dump, I am terrible at being abrupt! Have spent too many years in Technical Writing.

I would like to know where I stand in my goal for ER but it's so difficult with so much information out there. I have been reading through the forums here and other websites as much as I possibly can, for the last year. Would love to hear your opinions. If you would like to share advice I am more than happy to listen, that just isn't the goal here, I don't want anyone to think I'm asking for free advice.

I am 50 years old, single, never married, no children. I live in a very inexpensive town where I grew up, in the Wichita, KS area. I owe just under $50k on my mortgage on a 4BR, 3BA, 3600 sq ft house, that will be paid off in the next few years. It's way too much space for me but I love the house, it's on a lake and I am able to store my GeoPro 19FBS in my driveway with no problems. Not looking to move unless I decide to go full time RVLife, which is entirely possible after retirement.

I graduated from college in 2001 and have around $13k left on my student loan. After college I worked for a friend's company doing IT management. Unfortunately we did not have a 401(k) available. I made just enough money to save a little in a Vanguard IRA during the 10 years I worked there, that balance currently stands at roughly $40k. In 2012 the company closed and I accepted a position in IT at a new employer that does offer a 401(k). I immediately began contributing as much as possible. My employer matches 100% at 4%. Over the last few years I have been able to contribute the maximum amount allowed every year. My 401(k) account now sits with a $220k balance. My salary and bonuses total around $130k/year. Which is not a lot for many US locales but here that is very good income, top 10% for sure.

I did not inherit any money from my parents, they never made enough to save much and passed away with a ton of debt. I did not inherit the debt, thankfully. They were great people and wonderful parents, just not educated and never even made $100k combined in any year. They had a healthy 401(k) but lost about half of it during the dot-com bust in the early 00's and were never able to recover that.

I have also been able to start a Vanguard investment account, but have stuck to Russell index funds only, no individual stocks. That account contains right around $100k currently. In July 2021 my employer was acquired by a public company. The new employer allows us to invest up to 12% of our salary in company stock which we are able to purchase at a 12% discount through E*Trade. So I am also taking advantage of that benefit at the full 12%.

My hope is that I will be able to retire in 2030. By then I will have no debt. Health insurance is a major concern as I battled incurable Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma between 2012 - 2015. Following chemotherapy we discovered that my pancreas was damaged so I am also now Type 2 diabetic. I manage that well so far, I have not had any issues other than slightly high glucose (between 120 - 140 highs, 80 - 100 lows). So in retirement I will have to continue with both fast-acting and slow-acting daily insulin shots.

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali that pulls my travel trailer. The truck currently has 120k miles. I am confident it will last me another 10 years, I am very good with keeping up maintenance and it still runs as good as it did the day I bought it. I know that eventually I will have to upgrade to a newer truck but I never buy new, only slightly used, to try to keep that cost down. I hate car payments.

If all goes well between now and 2030 I expect to have around $800k in retirement funds, not including the value of my house. I will consider a reverse mortgage as I have nobody to leave wealth for. The only family I have left are very distant cousins, many of whom I have never met.

I am worried that there are holes in my plan, and probably for very good reasons unknown to me at present. I'm sure everybody goes through these worries, and I do realize that things can change very quickly. I have lived on a budget since 1994 and I stick to that budget religously. I believe it to be possible that my expenses will be lower in retirement; at least I certainly hope so. Really depends on health issues.

So my question is ... does my plan hold water or will I have to work until my full retirement age? No men in my family have ever lived to 80 so I would love to have a good 15-20 years in retirement, and am willing to do whatever necessary to make that happen. I have already started cutting expenses considerably, for things like travel, eating out and entertainment.
Well, Brian, I think a lot, and I consider your many words a complement.

I gud teknukul riter '76 to '20. In beginning I right teknukul specks for the gubmint. At the end I analyze specks for gubmint.
:LOL:

In all seriousness, work your plan until you see light. You will get there.

Please share your favorite acronym. Mine was TMDR - Technical Manual Deficiency Report
:LOL:

Welcome!
I didn't see a budget number. Have you run Firecalc and feel comfortable with the result?
You are on a good path towards retirement.
This forum is a good place to learn and ask questions along the way.

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you're on a good plan.

A reverse mortgage might make sense in your situation. My sister has one - like you she doesn't have heirs and has a lot of equity in the house. This allowed her to spend money on significant improvements to her home to dial it in for her dream retirement and spend more on travel. But shop your reverse mortgage - the details can vary widely.

As far as the company stock plan... We had an ESPP with a 15% discount (similar to your 12%). I maxed it. And sold the stock at the end of every period - locking in my discount as a return. Sure, I had to pay short term cap gains - but I never underestimated my companies ability to drive down the stock price. Our plan used the purchase price as the lower of the start and end prices of the period... So we were guaranteed close to the discount amount even if the stock was declining.

Hi and welcome. I second the suggestion to run firecalc, and would also caution you to make sure your employer stock doesn't become too big of a percentage of your savings. I like to make sure it's not more than 5% but some people use 10% as the limit. If you reach those amounts, just take the money you're contributing to that each month and auto-invest into a more diversified account.

One bit o' data I did not see was your annual expenses including taxes, healthcare, etc... Did I miss that?

Sorry, just getting back to my thread here. Been a busy couple of weeks at work.

Annual expenses today are right at $48k/year, including healthcare, taxes, mortgage, everything. It's not a lot, I live in a very inexpensive locale and I don't buy things that I don't need. I budget every expense and I stay within budget.

In retirement I expect my expenses to increase to probably $70k/year, on the high end. I don't plan on any expensive travel, I will be perfectly happy in my RV parked somewhere in the Rockies and America's beaches, wetting a line and sinking birdie putts.

Obviously "things happen unexpectedly", so there's always that. If worse comes to worse I have a ton of lifelong friends.

You still owe $13k left on my student loan and you should look to promptly pay that off.
The only reason I haven't is because that loan is on a 3.5% interest rate and I earn more interest than that on my investments. That being the case is it still better to pay off the student loan?

Your Vanguard IRA is $40k. Your present 401K is matched 100% to 4%, and it has a $220k balance. How is your ROE on your 401K? Are you invested in the best funds available within your employer's program?
I don't know what is the ROE, to be honest. Right now I have my money in the "Retire 2030" fund. For the first 8 or so years it was in Prudential's funds that follow the Vanguard Russell index funds. I've always been leery of 401(k) fees and those funds have the lowest fees in Prudential's offerings, for our company anyway.

Your Vanguard investment account is in Russell index funds with $100k current balance. Have you considered moving funds into a Roth account--to the max. yearly?
I have not, but only because I haven't looked into this. I only recently heard of "Roth conversions" so I have been trying to read up on those.

Your employer allows you to invest up to 12% of base salary in company stock at a 12% discount through E*Trade. My question is how solid is your employer financially? Any single stock is inherently more risky than mutual funds or ETF's. (I also invested in company stock at Ford for 20 years, and it's still a roller coaster 40 years later.)
Company is solid, financially. The stock has been a steady grower the last decade, particularly since the company started getting into business & general aviation markets. The largest division of our company is in "Federal & Defense", which accounts for around 80% of our employees. I'm confident in our leaders. But in 2000 I was confident in Raytheon and watched my parents stocks lose 75% of their value in one week.

Thank you for the rest of your kind words and sage advice!

You will probably need to look at your checking withdrawals and credit card spending for at least a year to make sure you have a realistic view of your retirement budget. I added up a year's worth of bills for utilities, groceries, restaurants (pre-COVID), etc., and it really helped.

Religious Quicken user since the mid-90's so it's easy for me to see on what I have been spending, and to plan my budget. I keep my financial plan in a separate Excel spreadsheet as well.

I won't duplicate what others have said...things to be aware of in your planning:

1. Stock concentration. Since you are purchasing company stock on a regular basis, try not to have too much in any one company, including your current employer. You should stay well below 10% if at all possible

2. Your retirement expenses are forecast to be higher than your current expenses, which is not a bad thing. When looking at Roth conversion, they make sense when your retirement marginal tax bracket will be lower than your current tax bracket. You just need to do the arithmetic to see if the Roth conversions make sense.

3. You will have some lumpy/chunky expenses in your future. This may be house related (HVAC, roof, etc.) or vehicle related. Make sure you have access to funds that will not create a tax torpedo for you.

You seem to have the basics covered well...congratulations. Do a little work on those moments when SHTF, and you should be able to sleep well at night.

Welcome to the forum, Our 2005 Silverado drags our 6000LB camper around without issues... And it only has 265K miles on it.
I would consider finding a smaller place for a home base for travel, and turn that massive place to cash at some point. good luck

The only question I have is about your spending and budget for retirement? Pulling an RV at $5-8 a gallon will get really expensive and my RV friends probably spend 4x what we do in restaurants and movies while we tend to eat at home and watch movies on TV. Of course savings on giving up the house for full time RVing might be a wash? Again, accurate budgeting of future expenses is key

Sounds like you are free to do as you please- good job! I am on the road 6 months of the year, and my advice to you is: do not sell your home before you have full-timed for at least a year, because there’s no going back. I’d say try living on the road for a few months; leave the house vacant or get a short-term renter.. If after 3 months you’re still enjoying the road, get a property manager and rent it out for a year. Personally, I wouldn’t sell for a smaller house unless you need the money, or hate your house. If it’s too big, just close off some areas. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who thought they’d love living on the road.and sold their homes, only to change their minds, but be priced out of another house, or be unable to find a house they liked as much as the one they just sold. Last month I met a woman living in her Suburban because she sold her house, thinking she’d find a less expensive house somewhere equally nice. Nope. She never wanted to be a full-timer, but now she is, and still looking for something she can afford

I should also add that I am hoping to forego collecting Social Security as long as possible, to realize as much monthly income from that as I can.

Not to be morbid, but I'm not sure this makes sense given your health history. I'm all for maximizing SS income, but we have to be practical about life expectancy. That said, I wish you a long and healthy life.

Back
Top Bottom