Hello to you all, New member and first post

Welcome. I live in your Northern suburb, aka Vancouver. Retired at 54. You'll hate it. Nothing to do all day.

I will enjoy the break after 35 years in construction

I may get bored but will enjoy more than one week of vacation a year. I love fishing and will try to live like a snowbird.

Congrats.
You will get used to @Travelovers sense of humor (one of the funnier ones on the site).

Welcome aboard, SCarpenter.

Congrats.
You will get used to @Travelovers sense of humor (one of the funnier ones on the site).

You mean he’s been joking all this time? I though he was serious.

I may get bored but will enjoy more than one week of vacation a year. I love fishing and will try to live like a snowbird.
One week?? I get five weeks, but that was after some belt-tightening in our industry, it used to be six! (That's also our sick leave, but then I hardly ever need that for anything other than checkups.) Companies are encouraging burnout and brain drain by not being generous with benefits like that. Plus, I think a lot of people get burned out and operate at well under their capacity without at least a day or two off every few weeks.

Anyway, congratulations, SCarpenter! I'm aiming for around 54, 55. If you get bored and you're not finding any hobbies worthwhile, you can probably consult or get a temporary side job to keep you busy, but since you won't need it, you'll also be able to put up the "Gone Fishing" sign whenever you like! :dance:

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Retirement is great, enjoy this new phase of your life. I also retired at 53, been a nice 2.5 years so far.

Go south or east to get some sun and help kill that moss growing on you.

Welcome. Retirement is wonderful, hope to hear more from you in the future.

Advice needed regarding taxes

Will i need to pay taxes on pension for anything but fed and State?

Will i need to pay taxes on pension for anything but fed and State?
Not that I can figure. Even if you have a local tax, that is usually on W-2 type wages and not pension income or SS income.
Some states have some or all of pension income exempted from taxes. It depends on the type of pension and where it is from in some cases. I have no idea on OR laws or if OR even has this exemption possibility.
Fed will tax your pension, no exemption there. Although you can play with your taxable income level to minimize, or potentially eliminate, any tax liability.

Enjoy! No matter how generous a vacation benefit might be from a given employer, nothing beats 52 weeks.

Welcome to a great place.

Hello and welcome!

I think you will love retirement. We are neighbors, I live in NE PDX. I'm 2 weeks shy of my 7th anniversary of retirement and I have honestly not been bored for one minute.

There is so much to do in the PNW and for me, it's very low cost - hiking, backpacking, tennis, bike riding, mushroom hunting, yoga, bbqs with friends, etc.

We have been rainbirding in Palm Springs and traveling abroad a lot in the last 5 years. Sometimes I feel almost too busy. But retirement life is short and I don't want to waste a minute of it

I hope to see you around. Congratulations!!!!!

Welcome and congrats. Make the most of the new chapter, but there’s no deadline on the assignment...:D

Thanks for the generous and kind welcome. I hope to travel a little and am unsure of where the future of home or home's may be. I will need advise and i am considering if there is a justification in hiring a retirement planner for help w/ taxes and how or where i should cut expenses. i will earn less than when i worked by a third and i am the kind of person that needs a plan for finances or i tend to get nervous.

Thanks for the generous and kind welcome. I hope to travel a little and am unsure of where the future of home or home's may be. I will need advise and i am considering if there is a justification in hiring a retirement planner for help w/ taxes and how or where i should cut expenses. i will earn less than when i worked by a third and i am the kind of person that needs a plan for finances or i tend to get nervous.
You've found the right place. We pontificate on those very issues all day, every day. The sad truth is that it is not that complicated, though many folks literally make a living out of making it appear so. I'd encourage you to use the good search engine here to look up key topics, then ask questions in small bites. A post with 5 questions will get one or two good answers for 2 of the 5 questions. A post with a single clear question will get multiple good answers.

I will continue to search out intelligent life to feed an incurable desire to be self reliant that can only come from the knowledge of those who went before me.

Fired for 2 weeks

1 week at the beach camping. Slow and easy for a little while until I get use to the new routine.

A bit over 2 years FIRE

A great place to be. :cool: Now that the pandemic is over and places have opened up, I have been on multiple vacations, painted the house by brush, added on to the the garage and rebuilt a 16 foot aluminum boat. Now it is salmon fishing time. See ya later fish are calling....:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom