HELOC vs. Margin

COcheesehead

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I see some folks on here suggesting getting a HELOC before FIRE.
What about margin? The interest rate is very low on margin ( I think about 1.5% on my account right now) and there is no annual fee. If you are only going to tap into one or the other only in case of an emergency or an opportunity, why would you pay the annual fee for the HELOC. Educate me here.

Edit, I just checked and the rates start closer to 4% and can go as high as 9% for small loans. So that enters into the equation, but that is still better than using a credit card and no annual fee like the HELOC.

Last edited:
I dunno.

I have a fat line of credit secured by my investments and it costs nothing.

Our HELOC has zero yearly fees. The reason to do it while still working is your debt to income ratio generally supports less credit then while you are w*rking.

I see some folks on here suggesting getting a HELOC before FIRE.
What about margin? The interest rate is very low on margin ( I think about 1.5% on my account right now) and there is no annual fee. If you are only going to tap into one or the other only in case of an emergency or an opportunity, why would you pay the annual fee for the HELOC. Educate me here.

Edit, I just checked and the rates start closer to 4% and can go as high as 9% for small loans. So that enters into the equation, but that is still better than using a credit card and no annual fee like the HELOC.

HELOC is much cheaper than margin for me

My current HELOC rate (1-250k): 3.3% no annual fee

FIDO Margin: Fidelity's current Base Margin Rate, effective since 01/12/09, is 6.575%.
Debit balance Margin rate Effective rate
$100,000–$499,999 Base 6.575%
$50,000–$99,999 Base + 0.50% 7.075%
$25,000–$49,999 Base + 1.00% 7.575%
$10,000–$24,999 Base + 1.50% 8.075%
3.75% rate available for debt balances over $500,000

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom