Help for my mother

Might consider IBonds... Current variable rate is 2.76%.

Depends on the guess about what the future holds for inflation.

Understanding how IBonds work is important. The safest part is that the return can never go below zero.

I Savings Bonds - I Bond Rates - Maturity Dates - I Bond Values - SavingsBonds.com

I agree that this may be the best solution to your quandary... It does address a lot of your concerns, is fairly liquid, inflation protected, and no fees......it was my first choice among the solutions presented.

I agree that this may be the best solution to your quandary... It does address a lot of your concerns, is fairly liquid, inflation protected, and no fees......it was my first choice among the solutions presented.

The only downside to the Ibonds is a maximum purchase of 10k annually but she is fairly certain she wants to buy that max this year at least.

So how about an IBond fund through Vanguard?

Do not believe that her state of residence will not attach the earnings of her family if she needs State support. While rare it is not unheard of and may be more common if a State is strapped.

Last edited:
If he's a federal employees and they divorce, she is automatically entitled to a portion of his FERS or CSRS pension, and TSP account unless she signs it away when he retires.

I would put the $65k into Wellesley Income Fund, a very conservative balanced fund, and the $10k into an online savings account.

If she could use some extra cashflow, you could set up an automatic redemption of $250/month, bringing her income to $2,000/month and the Wellesley account will still likely grow.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from annuities, and especially variable annuities.

This is a very sensible plan. Talk to the credit union about a savings account for the 10grand. Vanguard reps can get that safe wellesley fund for you.

A person with schizophrenia may sign away rights when others would not. As the wife of a Federal employee she may utilize the Federal Employee Health Insurance program after her husband retires IF she has been enrolled for a number of years - check the OPM website.

My nephew had schizophrenia so I have had experience dealing with a person with that condition.

Back
Top Bottom