Help me replace my smartphone

there is a place to add a u-sD. so yes you can add. you can also buy the 64G version which ups the ram to 4G from 2. The u-SD add can be much more than 32G additional

Not the OP, but I'm similar. I sometimes go months w/o making a call/text on my cell.

When we are home, it's the VOIP phone. When I'm out, I'm out, I rarely need to talk to anyone. If I need to call home about some shopping item or something, I do. I don't avoid using the cell phone, I just don't have any need to use it much at all.

For years I had the T-Mobile Gold plan, once you put the initial $100 on it, you only had to add $10 a year (yea, a year - like 8.3 cents/month). The minutes roll over, and I still have hundreds of minutes on it. For $10 a year, I'm keeping it active, just in case, but use a smart phone now. I occasionally do need data now (Uber mostly), so went with a cheap data plan (Ting, sharing minutes/data with DW - runs ~ $28/month for the two of us).

Obviously, this won't work for some people, but if you have a VOIP phone at home, some of us just don't need/want to gab while we are busy doing other things.

-ERD50

My DW and I share a TING plan too. $6 each phone, $3 100minutes, $3 100 messages, $3 100Mb of data (about $23 total after taxes for both phones). Between the two of us, we probably only use about half of those allowances per month.

My DW and I share a TING plan too. $6 each phone, $3 100minutes, $3 100 messages, $3 100Mb of data (about $23 total after taxes for both phones). Between the two of us, we probably only use about half of those allowances per month.

Made me look. I said $26 from memory, but your numbers match our typical usage, and you say (small difference) $23 after tax/fees. But mine is $26 (my memory worked this time!), maybe state/local taxes vary? :

Minutes 4 minutes used $3.00
Messages 58 messages used $3.00
Megabytes 40 megabytes used $3.00
Devices 2 $12.00
Taxes and regulatory fees
Federal, state and local taxes and regulatory fees we are required to collect. $5.25
Communications Service Tax $2.47
Fed USF Cellular $0.97
Telecom Relay Surcharge (Wireless) $0.04
E911 (Wireless) $1.74
FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.03
Mobile service $21.00
Taxes and regulatory fees $5.25
Total $26.25

Anyhow, we don't normally use much data at all, until we do use it - like this past week we spent a few days downtown, and had 5 Uber rides, the data adds up fast, ~ 50MB in three days. But we will still likely stay under the 100 MB threshold for the month. But if we don't, another occasional $7 add on is no big deal, we spend far more with all the other stuff we are doing when we are in data-using mode. But for people who regularly use much more data, the Ting plan probably isn't a good choice. For users like us, the bigger deal is the $6 to add a second device, and share the min/msg/data charges. Otherwise, I think any plan with some data is likely to run more than $13 ($26/2) per person, or even ~ $17 ($34/2) per person with more data (500MB). Heck, even 2GB is just $19/line (plus 5-6 fee&tax divide by 2?).

-ERD50

With an older phone that is no longer supported you can sometimes find a custom ROM and install it to upgrade the OS. I have done this a few time with android tablets that have lost official support but you may not want to dive off into rooting your phone.

I had a free plan with ringplus for about a year but they just recently folded. FreedomPop is another free provider and Tello has a cheap pay as you go plan.

It seems most of these supper frugal plans are in roughly the same ballpark. The tracfone plan I use is $99 for 1,200 minutes talk + 1200 messages + 1,200 mb data (and 1 year of service). Additional if needed texts are $5 for 1,000 and $10 for 1,000 mb data which can be bought separately. I find that most of the time I'm able to use wi-fi for calling or texting or data so my actual plan usage is limited. I bought this plan at the beginning of the year and find I've used so far 222 minutes of talk,81 texts and 110 mb of data. It looks like I better get on the phone :)

Back
Top Bottom