Help with 1099-B reporting (sale of mutual fund)

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Help please with 1099-B (sale of mutual fund)

On 1/6/2022 I sold a bond fund I owned since 2014. I received two 1099-B forms from my broker yesterday that spelled out the short and long term gains from this fund. Through my ownership, I had all dividends reinvested.

On the broker’s 1099-B’s, both “date acquired” blocks contain the word “various” as there were many transactions over the years due to reinvestment. The “date sold” block contains 1/6/2022 as it should.

On both the short and long term 1099-B worksheets (using H & R Block tax software), the “date acquired” block is looking for an acquisition date, of which there are many due to the reinvestment of distributions along the way.

I cannot leave this “date acquired” block empty as the software creates an error.

What is the appropriate way to complete this 1099-B reporting? Should I just use the earliest acquired date for each 1099-B? For instance, on the long term reporting, I could use the date I acquired the fund and on the short term, I could use the first date of the dividend reinvestment within the year of the short term ownership (which would be 1/16/2021)?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks!:)

You can enter "various" for the acquired date but not the sale date.

I complete my own tax returns, and I have used the word "various" many, many times when reporting the acquisition date for the sale of mutual funds which had multiple acquisition dates with a single sale date. I was told more than 30 years ago by an accountant it was okay do to this instead of breaking out the sale into multiple entries, a far more cumbersome procedure.

If the H&R Block software doesn't allow you to write "various" for these sales, then it is one more reason I am glad I never tried it out.

As long as you have to cost basis, the sale price and the sell date, various should work fine.

Thanks all, Joesxm3 led me to the solution. I didn't see the choice button for various Vs known dates.

Back
Top Bottom