Hi I am confused!

eidel1948

Confused about dryer sheets
I will reach my full retirement age in 1 year. I want to move out of USA where cost-of-living is lower but I don't know where to start. I am a single female and certainly want to live somewhere safe and relatively close to US. Any suggestions?

:confused:

If you live in Miami now, there are loads of places in the US where cost of living is lower. If you give us some idea of what your budget categories run to now (housing, food, healthcare, etc.), you might be able to get good suggestions.

Many people who think about becoming an expat aren't aware of all the ramifications, and it's often a better idea to just move within your own country.

After spending half my life in South America and then South Florida, it is often hard to tell the two apart.

Just joking. :D

Perhaps you can tell us a little about yourself so we can help. If full retirement age includes Medicare eligibility, there are many options in the US, including Florida, for lower cost of living.

While I have been lucky to travel a lot and live in other countries, I don't have first hand experience in the lower COL places that typically attract expat US retirees. There are many online sources though as you probably know, here is just one (not researched) Expat's Manual : Expats Living Abroad : Expat Info Desk

Welcome to the forum from NW Florida.

Living in Miami would be good training for Latin America. But if you want to live in the south, move north about three hundred miles. It would be cheaper and safer.

I spent about 5 years trying to determine where to live that would be less expensive than where I am now. Of course there were other considerations too like climate, proximity to military bases and colleges/universities, housing cost, relative safety, quality medical facilities, and state taxes. We didn't move.

If you like Florida then try north of Orlando and more inland. Otherwise you might consider some of the southern states keeping in mind state taxes. If you move overseas I can't help you. I've visited and enjoyed a lot of places but nowhere that I would want to move permanently except maybe New Zealand.

Cheers!

If you live in Miami now, there are loads of places in the US where cost of living is lower. If you give us some idea of what your budget categories run to now (housing, food, healthcare, etc.), you might be able to get good suggestions.

Many people who think about becoming an expat aren't aware of all the ramifications, and it's often a better idea to just move within your own country.
Thanks for your answer. I am very much aware of living life as an expat. I have lived and worked in three countries and lived and worked in many states within the US. I have decided to retire abroad knowing pitfalls of living outside of the US. I am only trying to narrow down where I want to live abroad. Warm climate and I would like to keep total expenses below 2,500 US per month.

Thanks for your answer. I am very much aware of living life as an expat. I have lived and worked in three countries and lived and worked in many states within the US. I have decided to retire abroad knowing pitfalls of living outside of the US. I am only trying to narrow down where I want to live abroad. Warm climate and I would like to keep total expenses below 2,500 US per month.
I read a book a while back called "How to Retire Overseas (Peddicord)". I'd suggest trying to get that or a similar book from the library.

....... I want to move out of USA where cost-of-living is lower but I don't know where to start. ...............

....... I am very much aware of living life as an expat. I have lived and worked in three countries and lived and worked in many states within the US. I have decided to retire abroad knowing pitfalls of living outside of the US. .........
:confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom