Hi, I don't know anything about investing

krysti

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi there,

I got laid off in May. I rolled over my 401k into an IRA with Fidelity. I am so lost. I know absolutely nothing about what I am doing. A long time ago I had someone choose my investments for me and hadn't touched it since! I am looking to learn about this stuff, but have no idea where to even start. I am a 39 year old female and have a husband, no kids. My husband knows even less than I do if that's possible. :)

Any advice on how to start my journey of learning?

Thanks,

Krysti

welcome. and check your library for the boglehead's book.

It's really not that complicated (don't let your husband know) :)

Click on "Links" at the top of the page and look through the resources there.

What funds did you pick at Fidelity when you rolled your money over?

I also highly recommend the Bogleheads Guide to Investing, but my advice for RIGHT NOW is that you probably shouldn't do anything else with your Fidelity IRA until you understand the basics of investing better. You can get a lot of good and very specific advice here, as well as at Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

I was in a very similar situation as you: I had been saving in my 401k for years but was clueless about investing properly - I just picked funds in my 401k and never looked again. I was laid off in 2008, and realized that it would be better if I could manage my own money properly, rather than paying a financial advisor to do it for me for the rest of my life. I read the Bogleheads book and learned that it's a lot easier than I imagined and now I'm pretty confident about managing my own investments in low cost index funds.

Happy reading and good luck with the job hunt, or whatever you decide to do.

Edit: also, spend a month pouring over the past posts in this forum - you'll learn a lot, even from the older posts.

Back
Top Bottom