Hi, I'm Sarah

My greatest fear is that I will retire and once the "vacation" feeling is over, I won't know what to do with myself. I'm just feeling burned out and tired of things, but still a scaredy-cat when it comes to such a major life decision.

So.....try out some new activities you have always wanted to do. Test drive them for retirement.

Again, I appreciate all who have responded. I will hang around and see if some of the retirement enthusiasm rubs off on me. I will stay out of the financial discussions because I am not financially savvy, and in fact don't plan to do anything with my company savings (largely stock) except spend the quarterly dividends. (gasp!) If I retire I will probably take a lump-sum pension distribution and roll that into some investments while living off my work-a-day hubby.

Whoa......if your investments are mainly in your company's stock, too many of your eggs may be in one basket. You owe it to yourself to become financially savvy. Nobody else can do it for you.

Dont consider it retirement. Think of it as a sort of open ended unemployment/vacation/sabbatical combination.

After a while that funny business about retirement being synonymous with being old will sort of go away on its own.

Whoa......if your investments are mainly in your company's stock, too many of your eggs may be in one basket. You owe it to yourself to become financially savvy. Nobody else can do it for you.

Yeah, yeah. I know. But it has served me very well for 26 years and I get very nice dividends. No plans to change. :nope:

Yeah, yeah. I know. But it has served me very well for 26 years and I get very nice dividends. No plans to change. :nope:

Served me well for many years as well. Until it dropped 80% and still hasnt recovered to within 65% of where I sold it.

For a long time I was selling my options every year and buying a broad range of asset classes and I was the village idiot since the stock kept going up. When the stock dropped, I instantly went from idiot to genius.

Concentration makes you rich. Diversification keeps you that way.

Back
Top Bottom