Hi, I've got fired today by megacorp...Looking for help...

If you don't believe me, I can PM you the link to the job fair that I went to. As long as you promise not to reveal my location.
It would be too easy to trace me, knowing my location.
You obviously don't know anything about clearances, since I have no way to find out (or even check the status).

I had a Top Secret security clearance when I left the Air Force. The next day, I went to work for Bendix and they had to run a complete new TS clearance for me to work on the same armament systems as a civilian.

If you don't believe me, I can PM you the link to the job fair that I went to. As long as you promise not to reveal my location.
You obviously don't know anything about clearances, since I have no way to find out (or even check the status).

I know they are hard to get and easy to lose.....So in one day you got fired for a reason you don't know, lost your clearance, posted lots of details here and hit a job fair on your way home, decided you need to sell your house and leave town. You should probably go home and have a beer. Tomorrow will have to be better then today.

How can I apply for unemployment if I have resigned?

you can't in California as (1) you quit and (2) your employer can / will be brutally honest with the state as to why
you can't in California as (1) you quit and (2) your employer can / will be brutally honest with the state as to why

Actually, California is one of the states where it is possible to get benefits if you quit in lieu of being fired. Here's the relevant section from the EDD page: Voluntary Quit VQ 135 - Voluntary Leaving or Discharge

Title 22, Section 1256-1(d), provides:

An employee who leaves work when asked by the employer to either resign or be fired, or an employee who resigns rather than agree to a forced leave of absence, has not left work of his or her own free will. In these situations, since the employee did not choose to quit, the employer is the moving party in the separation and the employee becomes involuntarily unemployed.

I.....So in one day you got fired for a reason you don't know, lost your clearance, posted lots of details here and hit a job fair on your way home, decided you need to sell your house and leave town. You should probably go home and have a beer. Tomorrow will have to be better then today.

+1, Hahaha, yeah, relax

I had a Top Secret security clearance when I left the Air Force. The next day, I went to work for Bendix and they had to run a complete new TS clearance for me to work on the same armament systems as a civilian.

The difference between you and OP is he probably won't get his back.

Went to a job fair. Some recruiters got excited seeing clearance on my resume. But after further checking, it is not valid anymore.
So, now I am really f*ed up and need to sell a house and move to another city.

Explain to us how some recruiters at a job fair have immediate access to your security clearance files? That sounds like a bit of a stretch for a job fair.

I'm not ivinsfan, but I do know about clearances. As soon as your employment was terminated, your former employer inactivated your clearance. They are required to do this if they have employees with clearances. It can be reactivated any time within 24 months, but reactivation has to be sponsored by your new employer.

We have some that love kicking a man when he is down, its their M.O. It like the guys in Internal Affairs. Too scared to do the job, but quick to point fingers , criticize and Monday morning quarterbacks. Now is the time to stand tall, you have a family to provide and protect. You will be fine.

How did you manage to bring IA into this discussion...

You just go to your state's unemployment website and fill out the forms. It is a myth that you can never get unemployment if you've resigned; sometimes you can. Every state is different, and I don't know where you are, but one of the more common exceptions to the "you can't get unemployment after resigning" rule is if you resigned only to avoid getting fired, which you did. It doesn't cost anything to apply, and while it's true that you may get nothing, you might also get something.

Read this for more info: Can I get unemployment if I quit to avoid getting fired? | Nolo.com

I've read multiple sources today and they all say that you are eligible only if you were forced to resign instead of layoffs, not to avoid firing.

Explain to us how some recruiters at a job fair have immediate access to your security clearance files? That sounds like a bit of a stretch for a job fair.

Easy. He has called my home phone after the fair and after he has got back to his office and I've got back home. I was actually typing response here when I've received a call.

I'm not ivinsfan, but I do know about clearances. As soon as your employment was terminated, your former employer inactivated your clearance. They are required to do this if they have employees with clearances. It can be reactivated any time within 24 months, but reactivation has to be sponsored by your new employer.

But that's not a rubber stamp is it? No guarantee it will be restored if a problem was found and if you actually have a clearance wouldn't you be aware of this?

Easy. He has called my home phone after the fair and after he has got back to his office. I was actually typing response here when I've received a call.

This guy has a time machine...

I've read multiple sources today and they all say that you are eligible only if you were forced to resign instead of layoffs, not to avoid firing.

Well ok then. I guess it would be a complete waste of time to actually apply and find out for sure. :facepalm:

While it is true, I don't get it why it gives you pleasure to kick a person when he is down.

I'm not...you yourself implied the clearance is gone and probably cant be regained.

Well ok then. I guess it would be a complete waste of time to actually apply and find out for sure. :facepalm:

Problem is not with time. Problem is that even I will be able to prove that I've resigned involuntarily, like they are describing here:

Often, if you check the box marked "quit" on your state's application form, you can expect to answer more questions (in writing or by phone) about the exact circumstances of your separation. Then, the state's unemployment department will make a determination as to whether your decision to leave was voluntary or not. As long as you make your case and your employer doesn't change its tune, you should still be eligible for benefits.

I still would not be able to prove that I was not fired for a bad cause, like we've discovered in this thread.

I think we are being trolled..too bad but things aren't adding up.

I think we are being trolled..too bad but things aren't adding up.

Like what?

Seriously, I am asking for help here, since I am completely clueless on how to move forward and you are trying to implicate that I am troll in your every post.

But that's not a rubber stamp is it? No guarantee it will be restored if a problem was found and if you actually have a clearance wouldn't you be aware of this?

All the ones we reactivated at my last job were pretty much a rubber stamp. My HR guy would just search EQIP and verify that the new hire had an inactive clearance and then they'd fill out an application and it would be reactivated within a couple of weeks. It could be that we never tried to hire anyone who'd had a past problem though. In any case, I don't think an employer could see that there had been a problem, it would just show as inactive and the reactivation would then be denied at a future time.

As for clearance holders being aware of how things work, nope. Most of the civilian software engineers I worked with are downright clueless about how their clearances are managed. Ex-military are much more aware.

Like what?

Seriously, I am asking for help here, since I am completely clueless on how to move forward and you are trying to implicate that I am troll in your every post.

I'll bow out now and let others help you.

Problem is not with time. Problem is that even I will be able to prove that I've resigned involuntarily, like they are describing here:

Often, if you check the box marked "quit" on your state's application form, you can expect to answer more questions (in writing or by phone) about the exact circumstances of your separation. Then, the state's unemployment department will make a determination as to whether your decision to leave was voluntary or not. As long as you make your case and your employer doesn't change its tune, you should still be eligible for benefits.​

I still would not be able to prove that I was not fired for a bad cause, like we've discovered in this thread.

Nothing in what you quoted is asking you to provide proof of anything. It says they will ask questions and you will have to answer them. Again, what have you got to lose by trying? The worst thing that can happen is they say no and then you're in the exact same position as you are now.

You say you want help. It would be easier to believe that if you didn't keep shooting down the suggestions that other people make to try to help you. Maybe just ignore the ideas you don't want to try instead of working so hard to justify why they're not helpful enough.

Nothing in what you quoted is asking you to provide proof of anything. It says they will ask questions and you will have to answer them. Again, what have you got to lose by trying? The worst thing that can happen is they say no and then you're in the exact same position as you are now.

You say you want help. It would be easier to believe that if you didn't keep shooting down the suggestions that other people make to try to help you. Maybe just ignore the ideas you don't want to try instead of working so hard to justify why they're not helpful enough.

Sorry.. Yes, I need help.
Sorry, please correct me if I am wrong - what if I'd apply and put a reason, but then company will come back and claim a different reason? That what I was referring to by "having something to lose".
Do I have anything to lose in that situation? I don't know and that is what I am asking.

Back
Top Bottom