Hi - Semiretired here and wanted to introduce myself...

Semiretired2008

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, just joined the forum. As the post and user name suggest - I am Semi Retired since 2008 (late 2007), I am 55 and we are empty nesters.

Initially became semiretired because of the drop off in the economy. The company I was working for at the time needed to do cut backs and I volunteered to go part time since my wife and I were empty nesters and the other folks in the office still had kids at home - it just made sense... As time went on that part time work transitioned into less and less hours and now I just do project work when available... It keeps the mind sharp, provides supplemental income periodically and I do not have to work 60 - 80 hour weeks anymore... I am now headed towards fully retired and looking over the numbers to make my final decision.

Joined this forum to see what I could learn and to see where I could participate. I have lurked for a few days, but have a lot of reading to do before I will be posting any hard questions. For now just wanted to say hi...

Welcome. Feel free to join in. I have a nose. I'll bet you do too. Since we both have noses, there's no reason we can't both have opinions. :)

Welcome aboard.

Welcome semi, just up the road from ya. Lotta smart folks here, but I ain't one of em, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Hi back... Don't worry I will hold back the hard questions till way later and I know enough to be dangerous myself... LOL

nice way to ease into ER

Initially became semiretired because of the drop off in the economy.

That was a nice way to ease into ER. I had similar experience, when wo*k slowed down and they asked us to take one day off each week . I talked them into one week a month like a layoff and I loved it. It became more difficult to come back to 'do' the other 3 weeks. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Look forward to hearing more from you :)

Welcome to the forum. Not sure it's necessary to hold back questions, there are all kinds here and most folks are more than happy to try to help - most of us remember when...

And many members are extremely knowledgeable in some areas and not others. I certainly know of topics where I can get over my head pretty fast, and typically don't post on those threads. I'll bet you're knowledgeable in some areas that we can all benefit from, and vice versa...

Thanks for the welcomes. I have already seen quite a few threads (doing a lot of reading at this time) that I wanted to comment in, but held back because advice from someone with only 2 or 3 posts is normally frowned upon - my experience at least.

I do have one simple question though - Why does everyone use w*rk in their posts. Is this an unwritten rule or just for fun:confused:

Thanks for the welcomes. I have already seen quite a few threads (doing a lot of reading at this time) that I wanted to comment in, but held back because advice from someone with only 2 or 3 posts is normally frowned upon - my experience at least.

I do have one simple question though - Why does everyone use w*rk in their posts. Is this an unwritten rule or just for fun:confused:

Yeah that and DH. Why not just say husband or wife?

I think because most of the folks here think it is a dirty word! I saw your post in my thread and it sounds like you and I are in the same boat, slowly easing our way into retirement. As for DH or DW, I never use that as I prefer to call my wife 'my wife' and not DW :angel: It actually took me awhile to figure out the DH, DW, DD and DS stood for!

Same for j*b, Ms G doesn't like DW. She has always said that she doesn't need a husband she needs a wife.

I know what you mean. The first time I saw DW or DH I thought it meant Divorced :facepalm: - to many acronyms, but I am catching on :D...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom