High School Graduation gifts

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Greg's neice is graduating from highschool and her party is this weekend. I know cash is an appropriate gift. But how much? We haven't been around high school graduations for a while. There are 4 younger brothers behind her so we have to keep that in mind when deciding on the size of the gift. . . .

We gave all three of our friend's kids $50. You could always get them a gift certificate.

We gave those we were not close with $25 and those we were closer to $50.

I determine the size of the cash gift based on the college the kid got into, and how much scholarship (not grants) he/she got from that college. 6 years ago, my niece got a full tuition scholarship to Tuft University. I gave her $500. 4 years ago my twin nephews got half tuition scholarship to Boston University, I gave each $300. Another nephew graduated but decided not to go to college. He didn't get anything from me.

How much is a keg these days?
trink40.gif

When our neice and nephew graduated from highschool a few years ago, we gave them $500 each. I still consider that a little high, but since we have no children, we were able to give this amount.

If there were more neices and nephews involved, it would have been less. Honestly, I think $100 is very generous.

Usually $50 cash, although savings bonds are a good idea.

I don't agree with denying a HS graduation gift if the student does not go to college. Many people get training/certification in other areas and lead financially successful lives. And many people lead happy lives without lots of money or a college degree.

I know we all want what is best for our loved ones, but should we be the judge of what is best for them?

I have given all my nieces and nephews $150 for high school graduation and 200 for college. Last year My nieces(twins) graduated HS and we gave each $150. Next weekend the last niece will graduate HS......

......I don't agree with denying a HS graduation gift if the student does not go to college. Many people get training/certification in other areas and lead financially successful lives. And many people lead happy lives without lots of money or a college degree......

That fits me to a "T". I went into the w*rk force right out of HS, and was able to FIRE @ 50, with no college degree. I have taken a few...very few....college classes over the years, though none were j*b related in any way. During my 31+ years at w*rk, I did get some tech training...again not much.

My sister, who has a degree, plans on w*rking until she's 69, because in her estimation she can't afford not to. My brother, who also has a degree, figures he'll have to work to about 67 or 68. Both are quite the penny pincher type, also. (I wasn't!)

As for grad gifts, I'll give $25 to friends kids, and $100 to $300 to nieces/nephews. For other relatives kids, it's decided on an individual basis. Some get $25 to $50....some get the bum's rush!

Back
Top Bottom