Hiking with rattlesnakes

I could see using the gaiters for hiking but would imagine those chaps would be way too uncomfortable for any type of long hikes, especially in warmer weather when the snakes are usually out.

DH wears the TurtleSkin gaiters in our 100+ summer weather.

slIA2aRl.png

I see one big big problem with those chaps. Ankles protected? check Shins protected? check Knees & thighs protected? check Man bits protected? Nope!!!! :mad: :facepalm:

I don't like snakes. I know they are an important part of the ecosystem, but I don't want to see them. Doesn't matter if they are venomous or harmless little garter snakes. I'm not squeamish about bugs or worms, but for some reason when I see a snake slither I get the chills. Ewww!

With my summer guiding gigs on the river and bike trails, I've had to learn to tamp down my reaction and pretend to be a brave guide. We often encounter timber rattlers, occasionally copperheads, and big fat black rat snakes can be seen almost daily. When I'm alone I can allow myself a shiver but with guests I fake nonchalance and help them avoid the "wiggling sticks". (I also like to refer to snakes as "danger noodles").

At least our timber rattlers are usually shy. For some reason I think that desert rattlers are more aggressive. Maybe I watched too many westerns as a kid?

At least our timber rattlers are usually shy. For some reason I think that desert rattlers are more aggressive. Maybe I watched too many westerns as a kid?
From what I read, I think you are correct. There is a difference in aggression.

I'm realizing now that I've probably seen a timber rattler or two near the NC coast and thought it was something harmless. Whoops! I got a little educated on this thread. Turns out timber rattlers like to swim in the bays and sounds near the NC coast, sometimes even the ocean. "timber" is just a name. Yikes!

Here's a "Caution: Snake Habitat" sign from on of NC's ferry terminals.

Attachments

• snake.JPG
    snake.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 23
If you combine a snake with a shark you get a politician

I'll offer the same uncomfortable perspective regarding snakes as I would regarding sharks: if you enter nature regularly you have probably been around lots of them without knowing it.

It should be reassuring to hear that, although I can understand that it may feel exactly the opposite. Swelling up and dying in agony on the trail, just like being eaten alive in the surf, is a pretty horrifying thought.

However, if you consider that you've never been bitten despite a hundred or more encounters, that would indicate it's a low-probability event. You probably don't need to do anything different than you ever have.

...unless you have been deliberately poking them! In which case I do have some excellent advice. "Don't." :D

Good luck, and keep enjoying the great outdoors.

I have gotten into hiking since moving to the desert. There are some great trails here with beautiful views and lots of wildlife. However, I was shocked today to come upon this guy - a Western Diamondback rattlesnake. I couldn’t get around it because the trail was too narrow, so I just backed off and aborted my hike.

Now I’m kind of scared to go hiking. Getting bitten due to surprising a snake on a remote hiking trail would be a big bummer!

Any advice on how to avoid getting bitten?
View attachment 34144

GREAT photo by the way.

In the John Wayne movies, they just pull out their six shooter and shoot them. :)

On a bit more serious note, would arming yourself be on option? I'm thinking a pistol with snake shot in it. Not sure how effective but I think I'd like something in case things go bad.

In the John Wayne movies, they just pull out their six shooter and shoot them. :)

On a bit more serious note, would arming yourself be on option? I'm thinking a pistol with snake shot in it. Not sure how effective but I think I'd like something in case things go bad.

In the early days of oilfield work in my career, someone always had a firearm when we were working in snake country. In recent years, Big Oil disallowed us carrying firearms. We just carried shovels instead and beat them into submission. (not really! Just banged it on the ground). :LOL:

While we were surveying pipelines in Texas in the 1980’s, we encountered a lot of snakes.

We kept a snakebite kit in the truck, and our crew never walked single file. The locals told us that the snakes would be spooked by someone stepping on or near them, and then strike the next person if single file. So we walked across ranch lands several feet apart laterally.

Yet another reason to live in Minnesota folks! St. Patrick drove the big ugly snakes out of these frozen parts a long time ago :)

If you stay on wide, well worn trails and keep a look out you will usually see them ahead of time and can steer clear. We run into them from time to time out hiking. The only time I came close to getting bit was when hiking partners ahead of me stepped over a small one they didn't notice on a trail. When he woke up he saw me, not them and started to strike. Luckily because he was small and I was far enough back he couldn't reach me.

In some years based on weather conditions we have bumper crops and they move out of the parks and open space into people's yards. Usually it is dogs who get bit more often because they are more likely to be poking their noses into bushes or places they can't see.

... Fortunately you are not dealing with Cottonmouth/WaterMoccasin which are aggressive and will even come at you. I've had the occasional experience with them while camping in the Okefenokee during a few decades. That was a little uncomfortable.

Cheers!
Water snakes are curious and will come to check you out. Cottonmouths? I have the opposite experience. The photo I posted was a snake that I didn't even notice for a few minutes, but it was trying to show me that it was around. It wasn't even moving. I couldn't even get it to sway its head at all.

Please read this for more info:
https://slate.com/technology/2014/0...-and-mating-habits-of-of-water-moccasins.html

Many snake-fearers torture themselves by seeking out exaggerated tales of snake attacks, and the cottonmouth figures in the most outlandish of these stories.

Last edited:
Here is one that was on a game trail one day when I was hiking. I live around them so not a big deal just have to be careful.

Attachments

• 2004_0915sheds0006.JPG
    2004_0915sheds0006.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 20

Realistically, if you can see a rattle snake well enough to shoot it, you are in a position to just avoid it. It is not going to attack you.

A few years back I was bow hunting and back in about 3 miles. It was starting to warm up so I decided to stop and take a rest. When you stop and rest in rattle snake country you stop in an open bare ground area so you can see dirt from a long ways around you. LOl
I laid my bow and small day pack about 12 feet from where I sat and rested. About 30 minutes later I decided it was time to get going. I stood up and I heard rattling!! I never moved but my head was on a swivel trying to see the rattler. Now, remember I was on bare ground could see all around me in 30 plus feet all bare ground and couldn't see that snake. I would move it would rattle. LOL Make a long story short the rattler crawled right under my day pack and bow to get some shade. I had no long stick etc.. I couldn't find anything close so I started to walk and finally found an old wood fence post. I wondered a good hour looking for a stick long enough to use. I headed back there and got the snake and went on my way. LOl

Last edited:

I went to college with a guy whose next door neighbor had been a Secret Service agent. He told us once that when he was on the protection detail for Lyndon Johnson (after his term) they got out of the car in TX and there was a rattler nearby. One of the agents shot at it 3 or 4 times and missed each time. LBJ just laughed, picked up a stick, and pushed the snake aside and went on his way. Pretty funny.

I came across this last summer. There's a small stream near our house, and if you look closely, in some underwater vines, this feller was lurking. Probably waiting for an animal to come take a drink. Pretty sure it was a cottonmouth. He swam toward me with his mouth open raised in the air, so I high-tailed it out of there, except with my tail between my legs.

Attachments

• 20190917_115847.jpg
    20190917_115847.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190917_115906.jpg
    20190917_115906.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 31
I can't be positive from the 2nd picture, but if that's it's head I'm pretty sure it's just a water snake. The moccasin has a really thick body and a head that is significantly wider than it's neck. I've seen moccasins, and that doesn't look like one to me. But I could be wrong. Ask DW.

Looking at it more, I'm pretty sure I'm right. I think that's a northern water snake. But many water snakes are fairly aggressive, and beating feet probably wasn't a bad idea. I've been bitten by non venomous snakes a few times, and it sucks! It's easy to get a nasty infection if you don't clean it out pretty quickly and well.

Out of curiosity, where were you located? If it wasn't in the south and east of the Mississippi (or part of Texas) it pretty sure wasn't a mocassin.

Last edited:
I can't be positive from the 2nd picture, but if that's it's head I'm pretty sure it's just a water snake.

Out of curiosity, where were you located? If it wasn't in the south and east of the Mississippi (or part of Texas) it pretty sure wasn't a mocassin.

This is in central Texas. I'm not familiar with the water snakes around here- wish I could have taken a picture of his head. The numerous coral snakes are spooky enough, especially the one that I found hiding under my daughter's bed. Nothing like worrying about stepping on something squishy at night with bare feet. Yikes.

I came across this last summer. There's a small stream near our house, and if you look closely, in some underwater vines, this feller was lurking. Probably waiting for an animal to come take a drink. Pretty sure it was a cottonmouth. He swam toward me with his mouth open raised in the air, so I high-tailed it out of there, except with my tail between my legs.

That looks like a cottonmouth and the action you describe definitely fits their behavior pattern - aggressive. I've had numerous encounters with both rattlesnakes and water moccasins over the years and consider the rattlers the lesser of the two evils. They usually provide a warning and don't chase after you when you run!

I went to college with a guy whose next door neighbor had been a Secret Service agent. He told us once that when he was on the protection detail for Lyndon Johnson (after his term) they got out of the car in TX and there was a rattler nearby. One of the agents shot at it 3 or 4 times and missed each time. LBJ just laughed, picked up a stick, and pushed the snake aside and went on his way. Pretty funny.
Classic!

I never did figure out how someone thought they could shoot a snake and not miss most of the time.

This is in central Texas. I'm not familiar with the water snakes around here- wish I could have taken a picture of his head. The numerous coral snakes are spooky enough, especially the one that I found hiding under my daughter's bed. Nothing like worrying about stepping on something squishy at night with bare feet. Yikes.
Lots of water snakes in TX, at least a couple of species.

I never saw a water moccasin in central Texas although that is in their range. I saw tons of water snakes.

Saw plenty of water moccasins in East Texas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom