Home Cooking 2023

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I looked for a topic like this, but the last one I found was very old. Mods, please merge if there's something more recent.

I made hummus yesterday, from a Cooks Illustrated recipe. Those are always careful developed. More steps, but not more difficulty, than the usual blender hummus, and was extremely smooth and delicious. It deserves a worthy topping. I think I'm going to try the suggested spiced walnut topping.

What are others making? I'm assuming there's lots of grilling going on! I don't grill because I'm just cooking for one, and it's easier to use the broiler function in my nice new toaster/convection oven, but I love eating others' grilled meals.

Love hummus, and cooks illustrated as well.

I too am a home cook, and noticed that thread got stale. Wasn't sure to bump it, so I'm glad you started this one.

I've been dabbling with ice cream, and my latest creation is mint chocolate chip but with the mint my wife grows in the garden so I can make mint juleps. I steeped about 30 or so leaves in the cream/milk based during the heating process, only 10 minutes or so, and then strained and finished cooking. Oh. My. God. The mint flavor is so pronounced but clean and soft on the palate. I should have used dark chocolate chips or chunked up a bar of dark chocolate instead of the milk chocolate morsel chips we use for cookies.

So good.

I also bake bread, bagels, English muffins, grill and smoke master (well, in my mind), pizza, fresh pasta. I like to cook.

Last edited:
https://www.ahipokibowl.com/az-menu/
We have been going to this place for lunch for their simple chicken teriyaki rice bowls. I get mine with cucumber and ginger on it. Unfortunately they have been inconsistent with their quality. Chicken burnt and dry or to little teriyaki sauce....next time perfect. You would think doing it all day they could be consistent but depends who's cooking and if they care at all.

Well we decided it was simple enough we could do it at home. Use the air fryer to "grill the chicken. Make some rice to go with it. Add as much or little teriyaki sauce as we want. The trick was getting the ginger right. Raw ginger thinly sliced was too strong. So we googled and found if you boil the ginger for a short period it helps take the bite out. Then marinate it for a while and it was perfect. Tasted like the ginger they serve with sushi. We are going to add some red onion next time.

I enjoy cooking. Recently made Irish beef stew and Hot & Sour cabbage soup in the insta pot/slow cook--it doesn't add heat to the kitchen! And even though it's hot outside, soup and stew is good anytime.
Yesterday was lemon chicken with feta and orzo.
Tonight is jambalaya.
Tomorrow is my easy dish: TJoes stuffed gnocchi with marinated mozzarella balls added and topped with spicy vodka cream pasta sauce, baked in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes.

I often do seared ahi tuna. Also make a wasabi mayo to go with it, from my homemade mayonnaise too.

Attachments

• IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 62
English muffins hot off the griddle.

Attachments

• 20230714_104017.jpg
    20230714_104017.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230714_104249.jpg
    20230714_104249.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230714_105244.jpg
    20230714_105244.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 68
I often do seared ahi tuna. Also make a wasabi mayo to go with it, from my homemade mayonnaise too.

Looks delicious. A friend gave us a big chunk of fresh tuna this week. It was caught by him the day before! I just seared it like you did since it was sushi grade, fantastic. Friends with boats are beneficial.

KoQ, the ice cream sounds divine! Cuisinart has been having a BIG sale of its top rated ice cream maker, but I have resisited. Ice cream is my total downfall. I cannot stop eating it. It is not allowed in my house more than a couple of times a year. Eventually ...

I just saw one of those silly "favorite X for every state" - this one was for cocktails, and since I was just back from Ohio, I looked it up: Mint Chocolate Martinini

While it wouldn't be my favorite, I could see its place at an afternoon ice cream social in the garden!

And your English muffins look superb. I have a mini-Zoj breadmaker and have been meaning to try the English muffin recipe.

Love hummus, and cooks illustrated as well.

I too am a home cook, and noticed that thread got stale. Wasn't sure to bump it, so I'm glad you started this one.

I've been dabbling with ice cream, and my latest creation is mint chocolate chip but with the mint my wife grows in the garden so I can make mint juleps. I steeped about 30 or so leaves in the cream/milk based during the heating process, only 10 minutes or so, and then strained and finished cooking. Oh. My. God. The mint flavor is so pronounced but clean and soft on the palate. I should have used dark chocolate chips or chunked up a bar of dark chocolate instead of the milk chocolate morsel chips we use for cookies.

So good.

I also bake bread, bagels, English muffins, grill and smoke master (well, in my mind), pizza, fresh pasta. I like to cook.

I cook almost all of my own food. Since I hesitate to use the oven for long bakes in the hottest weather, my baking falls off in Summer. I do regularly make yeast bread in a bread machine. I have a trusty old Welbilt from the thrift store that I have used for many years. I also have a deluxe Zojirushi from a thrift store that was essentially brand new when I got it. I don't use it as much because the smaller loaf from the Welbilt is better for a single guy. However, I recently had a craving for banana quick bread and remembered that the Zojirushi has a quick bread and cake cycle. I was very skeptical of it, but gave it a try, using their recipe. The result is great! I was amazed that it worked so well. I did exactly as they prescribed. Their recipe is not as sweet and moist as the one I usually use, but I did not want to monkey with things on the first try. But now the monster is unleashed! Time to experiment!

Early and late, I get it, my wife does not like the heat, or it hot. I baked off a loaf of sour dough and grilled the 2 dozen english muffins today while she was running errands. Had the exhaust fan running full bore the entire time.

its either that or wait until she goes to bed, or I hear the bad noise.

Those bread machines are terrific. We had the one back in the day. Nothing like fresh bread. I love it.

My kitchen counter is being overrun by my garden tomatoes ripening at an overwhelming pace. So today, a big pot of angel hair pasta, tossed with a sauce of garlic and green onions sautéed in olive oil, lots of diced tomatoes, some fresh basil, salt&pepper, and sprinkled with Parmesan and pine nuts.

My kitchen counter is being overrun by my garden tomatoes ripening at an overwhelming pace. So today, a big pot of angel hair pasta, tossed with a sauce of garlic and green onions sautéed in olive oil, lots of diced tomatoes, some fresh basil, salt&pepper, and sprinkled with Parmesan and pine nuts.
Nothing like home grown tomatoes! When we had a garden we used one of those Italian tomato strainers - terrific for freezing big batches of tomato sauce. We also made a lot of gazpacho, yum!

We have salad most nights and I got tired of the stuff they put in commercial salad dressing. I’ve been experimenting with some of my own dressings. I’ve got a pretty good white balsamic vinaigrette going and am happy with the honey mustard. I’m working on a Mediterranean dressing like they use for fattoush salads.

We have salad most nights and I got tired of the stuff they put in commercial salad dressing. I’ve been experimenting with some of my own dressings. I’ve got a pretty good white balsamic vinaigrette going and am happy with the honey mustard. I’m working on a Mediterranean dressing like they use for fattoush salads.
This sounds really good! I sometimes make a Japanese sesame dressing. Primarily tahini, vinegar, water and a little sugar and salt. I sometimes add other little embellishments.

This is coming up on a wonderful time of year for home cooking, the garden is starting to produce.

Last night was Sisk ke bobs on the grill. Elk sirloin marinated in taryaki sauce skewered with garden cherry tomatoes, red onion and peppers with some mushroom added.

Turned out wonderful, all home harvested except the mushrooms.

I made molded Belgian bon bons. White chocolate with a dark chocolate hazelnut whiskey filling. IMG_0185.jpg

Thank you! They are delicious and surprisingly not difficult to make. I did a happy dance when they unmolded successfully. [emoji23]

Everyone is so great, I sometimes goof up a meal:

The other day I made a Thai green chili noodle dish as a variation on this months Bon Appetit magazine red Thai chili dish.

I did green as I had the bottle of Thai green chili paste.
Here I was thinking I was clever, and I added a bunch of sliced vegies, to make it more healthy, while I thought about either adding shrimp or chicken breast.

I got so caught up in timing the spaghetti to the paste, coconut milk vegies, and totally forgot the meat!! :facepalm:

It was still good as a meatless meal, or at least I didn't get complaints.. :LOL:

I really enjoy cooking at home too. So much healthier and you sure can't compare the cost. tonight we are having homemade sausage and mushroom pizza and salad with fresh tomato. We have some very good local sausage and I stocked up recently.

Swanky,
This sounds awesome. I used to make something similar when I had a big tomato garden.
I stuck three tomatoes plants into my flower gardens this summer. Will give your version a try if I get any tomatoes.
Your's are already ripe?
JP

I made a second attempt at scones today using a recipe specifically for the toaster oven. I am determined to perfect this recipe - today I tried whole milk instead of cream. No suprise there, it was less rich. And, even though I reduced the amount of milk, the dough still came out way too sticky and ended up as more or less drop biscuits rather than wedges. However - I am going to stick with either the drop style, or, preferably, a kneaded-out square rather than a circle, as the wedges are too big. Next time I will go back to cream and reduce the amount further.

They certainly came out quite edible though! I chopped up some defrosted frozen cherries to mix into the dough.

Back
Top Bottom