Home Cooking 2023

I absolutely LOVE to cook, and in spite of everything going on in our busy lives, very rarely eat out -- cooking good food is a priority.

When I lived in Alaska, I picked up baking sourdough bread & didn't buy a loaf of bread for over 2 years straight. My bread baking fell off when life got wildly busy, but I'm currently on my own for a while with plenty of time on my hands, so I've picked it back up. This was my first success (2nd attempt) with my new sourdough starter -- basic 12" sandwich loaf. My glee from having it turn out so perfectly bordered on the ridiculous. :cool:

Attachments

• PXL_20231008_054218393.jpg
    PXL_20231008_054218393.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 27
Love sourdough. But DW makes a smaller 1/2 loaf to keep us from eating the entire thing at 1 sitting. She also makes cinnamon sticky buns with it.
A couple weeks ago while she was out of town I fried up some bacon then cut the raw sourdough into slices and panfried it in the bacon grease. Awesome!

Thirty years ago Weight Watchers had a soup recipe they called “Favorite Vegetable Soup.” It’s been my go to recipe for excess zucchini. 3 cups zucchini, 1/4-1/2 cup cut carrots onions each, and 1/4-1/2 chopped or canned tomato or a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste. A packet of boullion. Cook the onion in a saucepan, add the carrot, zucchini, tomato and boullion, then a cup or two of water and simmer. I always add other herbs and especially dill, about a tsp. Purée the whole thing when the veggies are cooked, about 20-30 minutes.

I like everything a little spicy, so adding a shake or two of Louisiana hot sauce in the bowl is great. If I want it to remind me of borscht, add a tbsp of Greek yogurt or sour cream. It’s low calorie (sans sour cream) and a great way to get rid of excess zucchini. It freezes well and can easily be doubled.

I remember that. (I modified the recipe to add cabbage, as I love cabbage.) The weather is getting cooler now where I live so this may be on the menu for this weekend!

kork13--that bread looks delicious!

Crockpot potato and caramelized onion soup on tap today, add some Franks hot sauce and sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top when serving.

We have always canned and jarred stuff, both came from family's that done the same. The other day My sister sent out a family group text asking if anyone wanted some tomatoes. We already had put up 9 Qts of spaghetti sauce from our garden, but the DW said to drop some off....
We come home to find 9.... yes 9.... 25 Lb boxes of tomatoes!
Some were starting to get soft and bruising, but gave away 4 and ended up with another 34 Qts... any one hungry?

Incredible..... She must have a HUGE garden !!

How wonderful :flowers:

Incredible..... She must have a HUGE garden !!
How wonderful :flowers:

Well they did come a huge garden... But not hers. She helps out with our community food distribution center. They get stuff donated and at times they get more than folks will take, and she grabs the stuff they are fixing to toss out. Its amazing all the stuff she has brought. It blows my mind that what these hungry folks looking for free hand out will pass up on.

I absolutely LOVE to cook, and in spite of everything going on in our busy lives, very rarely eat out -- cooking good food is a priority.

When I lived in Alaska, I picked up baking sourdough bread & didn't buy a loaf of bread for over 2 years straight. My bread baking fell off when life got wildly busy, but I'm currently on my own for a while with plenty of time on my hands, so I've picked it back up. This was my first success (2nd attempt) with my new sourdough starter -- basic 12" sandwich loaf. My glee from having it turn out so perfectly bordered on the ridiculous. :cool:

Amazing! What recipe did you use for your starter? I tried during covid and failed miserably.

Made a big pot of Tuscan white bean soup with kale yesterday. Wanna trade??

Tried my hand at cod this week. Surprisingly good both pan fried & oven baked. DW likes the pan fried better though. Basmati rice and small diameter colored carrots from Trader's are a good pairing.

Falafel. I can’t get over how easy and cheap it is to make from scratch, compared to take out. Chick peas and herbs, make balls or small patties and air fry in oven. DH tops his salads with them. I like them with red pepper hummus, also made from scratch.

Falafel. I can’t get over how easy and cheap it is to make from scratch, compared to take out. Chick peas and herbs, make balls or small patties and air fry in oven. DH tops his salads with them. I like them with red pepper hummus, also made from scratch.

+1 - I cook them in a waffle iron. I saw that recipe, and the name is too fun "Waffled Falafels".

-ERD50

Amazing! What recipe did you use for your starter? I tried during covid and failed miserably.
Apologies to the crowd, I love this stuff & could go on forever. Lengthy sourdough post incoming .....

I'll admit, I cheated this time -- a trio of brothers in my church run a highly successful business baking/selling sourdough bread (30-50 loaves per week). So I asked them for a small portion of their starter, keep it small (only ~50 grams most days), and just feed it regularly. If ever it starts to get less active, switch it up by feeding it for a day or two with whole wheat or rye flour. That's basically how the brothers told me they developed their starter -- over time, the "yeastie beasties" get stronger & more resilient. Remember that the yeasts are constantly multiplying, adapting to the environment & what you feed it, etc. So an older starter is always going to work better.

Honestly, that's generally the best way to make great sourdough -- get a bit from someone else's well-established starter & make it your own. The yeasts will have already matured & they're ready to go from the start. You can certainly grow a healthy starter from scratch (the brothers did that, and I did it when I first started up in Alaska) ... it just takes time, and you have to be patient. Mine took nearly 3 months to get to the point of baking viability. The bread brothers grew theirs & experimented for about 6 months before they started selling their bread (until then, they mostly just gave it away to build interest & do trial runs to get their bulk processes down). But most folks (especially in AK) simply walk into a bakery/restaurant that bakes their own sourdough & ask for a cup of their starter. The staff literally just pulls out the pot/jar that it lives in, scoop it out, and hands it over.... gratis, most of the time (after all, it's just 10 cents' worth of flour & water).

Simple & effective process from scratch: 25g unbleached AP flour, 25g filtered water into a 1 pint mason jar... leave it alone for 4-5 days. Dump 50-75% of it (the discard isn't very good until the starter really becomes active). Feed it again (25g/25g), leave it alone for 2-3 days. Dump again, then repeat the feed/discard process every 1-2 days until you see bee-bee sized bubbles all throughout & it starts to double (or more) in bulk after 10-12 hours. As I mentioned above, you can mix in 1-2 days of whole wheat or rye flour every so often to bring in different yeast strains. At this point (probably 2-4 weeks in), it'll start to smell pretty strongly (varies, but often like acetone, vinegar, or sweaty shoes), and the discard should become viable for whatever you'd like -- our favorites are pancakes & waffles, but awesome discard recipes abound. You can try baking a loaf of bread around 4 weeks in, but it may not turn out quite well yet. Give it 2-3 months, and you should be good to go. Until then, experiment with the discard, and read up (or watch youtube) about forming/baking technique.

A few key notes:
1) ALWAYS use unbleached AP flour. It's just as cheap as the bleached stuff, but has more (variety & quantity) of the natural yeasts that your starter will need. WW or rye are more expensive, but don't need to be used nearly as often (though I prefer to bake loaves with 50/50 AP/WW).
2) It's easy to end up with way more discard than you want/need/can use. That's why I keep it very small day to day (just 50-100 grams), which produces enough discard to cook 1-2 discard recipes per week. That said, if you WANT lots of discard, go up to 200-300 grams & you'll have plenty. When you're getting ready to bake, figure out what your recipe will need, and double or triple the quantity you feed it to develop enough starter.
3) If you see the starter start to form a layer of brown liquid (a form of alcohol, "hooch" in the parlance), it means you're starving the starter. Either feed it more frequently, or discard a larger portion of the starter at each feeding.
4) Temperature & humidity matter -- colder = low activity & rises take forever ... too warm = highly active with low flavor. More humid = better oven rise while baking.
5) Relax, have fun, give your starter a punny name ("Bread Pitt", "Doughlene", or mine is simply the "Yeastie Beasties"), and just let it be. Patience is essential.

Back
Top Bottom