Home Covid Testing

The Public Health Emergency will end on May 11, 2023. Many changes. A significant one for the Medicare group will be: "Coverage for COVID-19 testing for Americans will change. Medicare beneficiaries who are enrolled in Part B will continue to have coverage without cost sharing for laboratory-conducted COVID-19 tests when ordered by a provider, but their current access to free over-the-counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests will end, consistent with the statute on Medicare payment for OTC tests set by Congress."

All of the changes are listed here:
https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023...blic-health-emergency-transition-roadmap.html

It is a long page. I suggest searching for the term "Medicare."

We have a few left, but plan to go to the pharmacy each month from now until May to stock up on them, no cost for now. We test frequently due to being around grandkids.

We had an odd home test occurrence.

Before, I ordered home test kits via the USPS and received them in *my* name.

A month or so ago, and again a week ago, we received expired test kits in my husband’s name. He never ordered them. Letters with the test kits said the kits’ expiration date had been extended. We thought maybe the USPS, or who ever, were cleaning out their test storage.

And then last week he also received a Medicare EOB billed by some doctor in Georgia (we’re in CA), billing Medicare for COVID test kits.

We’re wondering whether this is some sort of Medicare fraud. We have no idea how that doctor in GA might have obtained his Medicare billing info.

My husband has written to Medicare about the claim.

We have a few left, but plan to go to the pharmacy each month from now until May to stock up on them, no cost for now. We test frequently due to being around grandkids.

I haven't done this. Do you just walk up to the pharmacy counter each month, show them the Medicare card, and say "give me 8 kits"?

I haven't done this. Do you just walk up to the pharmacy counter each month, show them the Medicare card, and say "give me 8 kits"?

Yep, worked at Walmart Pharmacy.

They had tests behind the pharmacy counter for this purpose.

Last edited:

Yup, it worked at CVS. I didn't even have to show them my Medicare card, because they have all my Medicare info in their system since I get my prescriptions there.

I picked up the tests I wanted (Binax) off the shelf; the pharmacist recorded the info in their system, and I was good to go.

I didn't ask them to give me the tests, because I didn't want them to choose iHealth instead of Binax. I just find Binax easier to use.

Last edited:
We had an odd home test occurrence.

Before, I ordered home test kits via the USPS and received them in *my* name.

A month or so ago, and again a week ago, we received expired test kits in my husband’s name. He never ordered them. Letters with the test kits said the kits’ expiration date had been extended. We thought maybe the USPS, or who ever, were cleaning out their test storage.

And then last week he also received a Medicare EOB billed by some doctor in Georgia (we’re in CA), billing Medicare for COVID test kits.

We’re wondering whether this is some sort of Medicare fraud. We have no idea how that doctor in GA might have obtained his Medicare billing info.

My husband has written to Medicare about the claim.

Doesn't Medicare have an online way to report suspected fraud and mistakes on the EOB's ?

This certainly sounds fraudulent, could be someone in CA got your number and then uses one of their doctors (paid by kickback) to process the charges, or someone bought your Medicare # online and is using it in GA for health coverage - which is worse as the medical records get mixed under 1 number.

We had problems. The locally owned pharmacy does not carry home covid tests. Big pharmacy #1 was understaffed/over busy. DW handed them her medicare card and was told to come back. Apparently they typed her card number wrong. Two more visits got it fixed.

My visit to big pharmacy #2 was a little better. I cleaned out their last 8. Of course, they have no idea if or when they will get more.

All of the big box pharmacies in town require you to come in, wait in line, put in your order then come back in an hour or two.

I have not tried the mail order houses but see their ads everywhere. The Medicare website has a link to participating pharmacies. Let me know if you cannot find it.

The one plus is I had a lot of time to wander around big pharmacy #1. The family planning section is huge. About 50 different types of condoms. 10 different electric devices. Pills that supposedly will do amazing things to males. And a whole bunch of other things that I couldn't figure out what you do with them. I guess I don't know as much as I thought.

The CVS website lets you order free covid tests online, so you can avoid the wait and just go to the store to pick them up when ready. I'm not sure if delivery is an option if there isn't a CVS near you.

The CVS website lets you order free covid tests online, so you can avoid the wait and just go to the store to pick them up when ready. I'm not sure if delivery is an option if there isn't a CVS near you.
Based on your comment, I just tried the CVS website and I agree with you. It appears to work. About two weeks ago, I tried it and it did not seem to function. Or maybe it was me.

Yup, it worked at CVS. I didn't even have to show them my Medicare card, because they have all my Medicare info in their system since I get my prescriptions there.

I picked up the tests I wanted (Binax) off the shelf; the pharmacist recorded the info in their system, and I was good to go.

I didn't ask them to give me the tests, because I didn't want them to choose iHealth instead of Binax. I just find Binax easier to use.

I just went to our local CVS and picked up 8 test kits. They only have one type available behind the counter, Flowflex from ACON Laboratories. Expiration date: Sept/2023. Made in China. :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom