Home security systems?

I'm an enthusiastic fan of SimpliSafe.

EXCEPT for the cams, which suck. Nest cams are better.

The other type of sign that can work is "Beware of Homeowner":D

We have Simplisafe, no video. It is okay. We pay $24.99 to get the alerting feature. One of the drawbacks involve not being to set some monitors to only notify you and not the police, but that may not be an issue for all. For a while our fire alarm was going off 1-2 times a month for no reason at all, SimpliSafe was not been much in diagnosing, and we chose to disconnect it when we went away due to the number of false alarms it was generating. It seems a little better these days.

For video we use 4 Wyze cameras. The cost was equivalent to one Simplisafe camera.

Hi,
I am considering a home security system for our house that we recently moved to. We live in a nice area, with low crime but, at this point in my life security is getting to be a priority.
I see good deals from ADT in our area but, have had no experience in the past with security systems.

Any good recommendations? Is it a waste of money?

Thx,
Rob

I came here tonight with this exact question. So, out of curiosity, what did you decide?

I have a couple Ring cameras and get notices when someone gets near the house. I also have a SimpliSafe basic system that I have not gotten around to installing yet. I look at alarm systems like this - If I'm not home, I want something to notify me so that I don't walk in on someone. If I'm home, I want to know it asap and be sure. I thought the Ring cameras would work for that, but the notification alert doesn't usually wake me up at night, plus, it's usually an animal. That's why I bought the SimpliSafe. It has door sensors and a loud alarm that will alert me at night if the door is breached. The loud alarm also, imho, benefits me if I'm not home as I believe it will cause the thief to grab and go, not knowing how long they have before the police are called.

Personally, I don't think you're very likely to prevent a break in. I think the best you can do is minimize the chance that you'll be confronted and most of all confronted without any advance warning. As pb4usi mentioned, it would hurt to have my things stolen, but in terms of financial value, it really wouldn't add up to much or matter.

Whatever type of system you get, I have found locking my side yard gate is very effective. We have fenced backyards and the criminals tend to go into the backyard where they cant be seen breaking in.

Back
Top Bottom